*NO* Pokémon Red Version 'Cruisin Kanto'

Palpable

MP3 (mediafire):

ReMixer name : Maxo

Email:

---

Game arranged : Pokémon Red / Pokémon Blue

Arrangement name: Cruisin' Kanto

Songs arranged : (in order) Vermillion City, Cerulean City, Cinnabar Island, Viridian City, Lavender Town, Celadon City, Pallet Town

Game Info: SYSTEM: Gameboy, COMPOSER: Junichi Masuda (1996)

Source Material: (also in order)

VERMILLION:

CERULEAN:

CINNABAR:

VIRIDIAN (PEWTER):

LAVENDER:

CELADON:

PALLET:

Comments:

This is an especially wanky, especially jazzy version of the town tunes I heard countless times (and still do) growing up! It's a very maximalist arrangement, but I'm proud of the work I put into it! It's been a long time since I've submitted to OCRemix, but I hope this can get me back on the wagon!

: ) hey! so i'm gonna just list timestamps of which part is which tune!

0:00 - 0:45 - Cinnabar Island

(0:29 - Route 11)

0:45 -1:10 - Cerulean City

1:10 - 1:42 - Vermillion City

1:42 - 2:23 - Viridian / Pewter / Saffron City

2:23 - 2:50 - Lavender Town

2:50 - 3:30 - Celadon City

3:30 - 4:16 - Pallet Town

: D

Thanks OCR team <3

-Max

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very chill sounding mix. The instrumentation is pretty laid back, and remains at a similar vibe all the way through (changing only for Lavender Town), giving the track a good cohesiveness overall. Relaxing listen, but isn't it pretty much a straight medley? One source after another, with no revisiting or blending of sources? Gonna hear from others on this, also I need to listen to the sources carefully, before voting.

edit 11/7/14: Ok so the track sounds pretty cohesive overall, only Lavender Town has a different sound, which is cool to break up the soundscape. Medleys are cool as long as they sound this cohesive. I have to agree with Andrew and Joel that the production could be a bit improved with some more panning/widening of some instruments, a little further balance work and a little more punch in the drums.

Now, let's check source use:

0:00-0:45 Vermillion: wow, it's really heavily interpreted, I'm having to stretch my brain to hear it, but it is there

0:45-1:10 Cerulean: this part is a little easier to recognize

1:10-1:42 Cinnabar: yep, I hear it

1:42-2:23 Veridian: really interpreted, but it's there

2:23-2:50 Lavender: yes, but the background pattern only (would have liked some melody)

2:50-3:30 Celadon: last bit of Lavender, but then I really don't hear Celadon here, maybe some melody at 3:21-3:30, this part is too subtle and interpreted

3:30-4:16 Pallet: yeah I think it's there enough

The source use mostly checks out for me, except I find Celadon too subtle. All of it is highly interpreted, which sounds nice but makes it much harder to identify. I think the production crits I have aren't enough to stop if from passing, and I still find this a chill and enjoyable listen. If it doesn't pass, I hope you'll address the panning and balance issues, bring the drums out a little better, and resubmit it quickly.

YES

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 2 months later...

For some reason, the bass doesn't always feel like it's part of the same song. It's noodling is fine, but there are sections where it just feels off beat, and when combined with the synth lead, feels really off. The arrangement was a tour through the soundtrack, which is fine, but a lot of the transitions were pretty weak, and the cohesiveness of the track itself could have been improved.

I think the production was a bit subdued and could have been way punchier. The drums lacked presence to me as well, and the bass was frequently taking the spotlight over the rest of the track frequencywise.

I think there is a lot of cool ideas here, but the execution needs to be tightened up more.

No, please resubmit

I get a nice off-beat jazzy vibe from this track. You have some cute instruments in here, you have made strong choices and vary things up along the way dropping different sounds in and out. Nice job there.

Some things I think need work:

-Straight off I felt this mix could do with more panning. A lot of the instrumentation is buried quite close to the centre, and this is causing some parts to be masked a bit (in particular when the bass hits notes close to its neighbouring instruments). Have a play with moving some of the instruments out wider to take advantage of that stereo space.

-I think the bass would benefit from having some of its "bite" reduced (some EQ around the midrange should do it). This should clear up some of the clashes with the other instruments.

-The portion at 2:24 didn't fit in well to me, at least the transition into it didn't feel quite right. It's a cool section but it'd be great to creatively integrate it more to the rest of the track.

You have a great track here, there is just some work to be done to tidy things up. Please consider the above ideas for a resub.

NO (please resub)

Edited by Jivemaster

• 4 weeks later...

Feeling on the same page as Joel and Andrew here. Lots of really fun parts, and I like the choice of instruments overall. The jazzy feel is pretty sweet as well, though I wasn't feeling the looseness of some of the parts. I think the transitions between the songs is definitely not as smooth as they could be, and the Lavender section feels a bit too left field compared to the rest of the mix. The gents and lady are also correct that there could be some stronger panning to give all the parts more breathing space.

I think this is a pretty unique take on any of these tracks, but honestly I'd love to hear you focus on just one or two and really expand out on the arrangement and have more tie-ins to the melodies and harmonies. I don't think the medley idea is a bad one, but I think the focus is stretched a bit thin for the length of the arrangement.

Hope you smooth this out a bit, definitely a fun listen!

NO (resubmit)

There's a lot of really dense part-writing here, which is pretty impressive, but I feel like there's some looseness here and there that's making things sound pretty messy. Not feeling the transitions, especially the bit with the Lavender theme. Getting a strong case of medley-itis here. Like Deia said, you might be better served focusing in on one or two sources and really developing those. Clearly you've got the chops, but I think this arrangement is too all-over-the-place to be really effective as a single piece. It's a lot of ideas that feel forced together.

NO, resub

The Lavender theme didn't fit in too well, imo; feels like a big non-sequitir to me and kinda brings up the specter of medleyitis.

The rest of the mix, though... really interesting groove. The timing feels all sorts of odd, almost like some of the super-quick & tight stuff Nase has done. I think it MOSTLY works and comes off sounding controlled & intentional, but there are some moments where it feels like stuff just got quantized weird or something. Hopefully that makes sense.

At any rate, very close... some excellent ideas, whole lotta swagger... I think a little clean-up on aisle 3 & some more focus, with perhaps a rethinking of how Lavender fits in (if at all) is needed.

NO (plllllease RESUB)