Songs by bands that aren't typical of their style

WillRock

So, most bands/groups/artists, it is fair to say have a general style of music you can categorise their entire library under. Some bands are more versatile than others, I don't think anyone is going to argue that Queen and The Beatles have more variety than say... AC/DC. However, that doesn't stop even the most boring bands from experimenting every now and then. Sadly, these occurances are usually rare and borderline unique with their musical output. Thats what i'm wanting here.

For example... Who knew Van Halen did a Jazz Cover Song?

Queen did this -

Kiss...

Quite often these tracks aren't ones done with serious intent, and some of them aren't as good as others but when they work they are amazing.

I'm sure you guys can come up with some much much better examples than this. Extra points for posting songs by OCR artists! :D

Well, my knowledge is more with power metal bands, so I'll see what I can drag up with my preference :razz:

- while it's not the only ballad they have done, it's the only duet. Interesting bit of connections here - the female vocalist in the song, Candice Night, is married to Ritchie Blackmore, who had a band called Rainbow, which Dio was a part of before joining Black Sabbath. She also is part of the band Blackmore's Night, which plays a nice set of relaxing folk rock/new age.

- hate to bring up two song examples, but this one almost escaped my mind. Helloween has a history of being (almost) the godfather of power metal. They also set the tone for the creativity found by a lot of the bands in the genre, and this foray into reggae isn't any different.

Gary Moore - Thunder Rising - the electric blues artist has played a variety of music, although his primary style has definitely been the blues. The album this song is from, Wild Frontier, is different from much of his catalog. His stuff was also generally different from his time as a part of Thin Lizzy.

- Blind Guardian released a whole album of rearranged songs mixed in with several covers, including Mr. Sandman (Pat Ballard), The Wizard (Uriah Heep), Spread Your Wings (Queen), and Barbara Ann (Fred Fassert). Otherwise, they haven't really done covers that I've seen (there may be some lying around in some singles) - they have been known to play Barbara Ann live, which is fun to witness as a change of pace.

- this is a man singing, former frontman Andre Matos. This is a cover of the Kate Bush song Wuthering Heights.

- while opera has a huge influence on metal, this is the only cover of an opera song I know of. Manowar is better known for their ridiculous album covers and being the loudest band, but the band has good variety.

- Nightwish went full jazz on this original song off of their most recent studio album. They've shown some good variety throughout their career, but this was a first. The band has gotten even more creative since they've shed their operatic metal approach - probably helps when you've achieved commercial success on their level.

Probably could dig up more stuff, but this got me to finally start exploring more music again...its been too long for me.

Interesting bit of connections here - the female vocalist in the song, Candice Night, is married to Ritchie Blackmore, who had a band called Rainbow, which Dio was a part of before joining Black Sabbath. She also is part of the band Blackmore's Night, which plays a nice set of relaxing folk rock/new age

hahaha ok I'm going to blow this open a bit further for the lulz.

Black Sabbath also had Ian Gillian as a vocalist at one point, who was the vocalist for Deep Purple, for which Richie Blackmore was also lead guitarist.

Another vocalist for Deep Purple was David Coverdale, who formed Whitesnake after he left along with Jon Lord (deep purple) The band also had the guitarists John Sykes (also in thin lizzy) and Steve Vai (David Lee Roth, Alcatrazz) in it at different points.

Alcatrazz also had Yngwie Malmsteen in the band, who worked with Joe Lynn Turner as part of his Rising Force band. Joe was in Rainbow with Richie Blackmore after Dio left. The vocalist for Alcatrazz was also in Rainbow at one point doing vocals AS WELL.

Back to Malmsteen, The original vocalist for Yngwie Malmsteen was Jeff Scott Soto, who was also in Journey after Steve Perry left. The Guitarist for Journey, Neil Schon, worked with Johnny Gioeli in the band hardline, who is better known as the vocalist for Crush 40, who worked on Sonic music, including Sonic 3, which Michael Jackson is known to have worked on.

Michael Jackson worked with Eddie Van Halen on Beat it. Eddie Van Halen worked with David Lee Roth and Sammy Hager in Van Halen, Sammy worked in Chickenfoot with Joe Satriani, who was also Deep Purples Lead guitarist for a short period of time. One of joe's pupils was Steve Vai (along with kirk hammett of metallica). Vai was with David Lee Roth as mentioned earlier. Vai also toured with Frank Zappa (as a music transcriber extraordinaire) who's son, Dweezil Zappa had a mixpost on OverClocked Remix. BOOM.

Edited by WillRock

Edguy is a power metal band from my hometown (but they are pretty well known world-wide) and they often have a not-that-serious song on their albums, but this one is an exception because it's a "country" song

Don't forget "life and times of a bonus track"!

To be honest though, edguys "typical" style hasn't been the same since hellfire club.

If you want something really unexpected too, check out Helloween's "Unarmed" album -- it's really good.

Somehow I never knew that the Unarmed album was something so different, even though I was aware of the album - I always thought it was a standard compilation fare as a 25th anniversary album. I could not have been more wrong...and this is pretty awesome.

Oh yes, that's my absolute favorite, but it's still pretty much their normal style

@AngelCityOutlaw: You're right, but some tracks of Space Police remind me of Hellfire Club

And it's nice to see some Edguy love here :)

I'd say that Space Police is their best album in years. I bought it the day it came out.

Dat "Rock Me Amadeus" cover...