Work intervals

Necrox

I wouldn't say it's unhealthy. I think that's pretty normal after long hours with a clear task to complete, especially when it's a creative endeavor like a song. I imagine you were pretty excited about this song? It's pretty much just the letdown from being done with something you really enjoyed, I would think. Pretty normal.

Odd. Not to me it doesn't. I love working on a song when I'm inspired. Even if I'm not inspired, I'd still be doing something I love in general. Hours of work on a song is actually normal (if you don't finish lol). When I first started out, I did pretty sloppy work whenever I just said I was done with a song I worked on for a few hours.

I'd estimate that it's normal for someone about a year into writing music to take about a week to crank out a 2-minute product with rough mixing, or a minute WIP or so with decent mixing, but that's just me. I dunno, maybe that'll help lend some perspective. You shouldn't be discouraged or depressed about specifically music if it's something you love to do and for some reason you feel you're learning too slowly or something. I learned slowly in my first year and a half. *shrugs* :)

Nah, I've worked on some tunes from like, the time I wake up till the time I go to sleep. You'd think with that kinda time invested, my music would suck less.

If you're feeling depressed about it, it may be an un-diagnosed case of "masterpieceitis". A condition where you feel like every piece must be the greatest thing you've ever done. A condition which is only remedied in two ways. A) Giving zero shits. B) Actually making it the best thing you've ever done.

Just keep in mind that B is relative.

I just finished a song I've been working on pretty much all day with a few 1-2 hour breaks and now I feel depressed for some reason. Does this happen to anyone who works for hours at a time? Is this unhealthy?

The trick is you have to start out depressed, so when you finish the song you feel a sense of accomplishment. It's not unusual to work that long on a song, at least not for me. :3 I once spent every waking hour on music, no exaggeration.

I usually equate this to finishing a great series on Netlix. After it's done, you feel like you have nothing more to live for (dramatization), but then you find another awesome series when you least expect it :).

And every time, you think maybe you'll try to pace yourself on the next one, and only watch one episode a day or something like that, so you won't run out of it immediately. And that only ever lasts for the first three or four episodes.

And every time, you think maybe you'll try to pace yourself on the next one, and only watch one episode a day or something like that, so you won't run out of it immediately. And that only ever lasts for the first three or four episodes.

I wish my music writing were like this. So far it's like trying to watch X-Files on Netflix for the first time-- weird, confusing, and tends to feel a little lame and derivative now.

I wish my music writing were like this. So far it's like trying to watch X-Files on Netflix for the first time-- weird, confusing, and tends to feel a little lame and derivative now.

You and me both man. It gets better just spending time writing stuff, though.

You and me both man. It gets better just spending time writing stuff, though.

For sure. The frustrating thing for me is that I never really start writing in earnest until I've been noodling for a couple of hours, sometimes. I hope at some point I figure out how to get in a creative mindset a little faster.

I have read it! But it certain bears rereading. I feel like the key is to break routine, like he talks about, but I'm kind of terrified to. As frustrating as it is, I don't think I'd call what I experience "writer's block" in the traditional sense-- I just have figured out that I frequently need an hour or two of decompressing or focusing or whatever before I really get into a creative mindset. As annoying as it is at times, so far it works, so I'm not enthusiastic about throwing a wrench into the process.