Sign in to follow this  
Pi_R_Squared

BadAss: Boss Themes: Volume I - History

ed]
I'd love to have a go at a remix for Battle with Starwolf (from Starfox) If no-one else is intrested.

Sadly... Andross's theme MUST be dominant. While, yes, I agree that Starwolf's theme kicks total ass, the project does revolve around FINAL bosses (I guess TGMP is an exception). So, if you do this, the most of Starwolf's theme can be is 49% of the whole thing.

Dang.... that changes everything. Its a shame, because I had just started work on Starwolf's theme. Not to worry, though, I suppose I can use the Starwolf theme somewhere in the mix, and If I don't, I'll just submit to the site in the style of a normal remix.

Well, I better get working on Andross's theme.

OK, finally got around to adding up everybody that said they could provide live instruments. Our particular situation is quite lucky. Many people around can play concert band instruments (Good for orchestrated pieces), and plenty can play guitar (Do I really have to explain this one?).

Here you go:

Guitar - leepmeister

Base - leepmeister

Tenor Sax - mlo

Clarinet - mlo

Keyboard - mlo, pu_freak

Accordion - Pi_r_[]ed, mlo

Violin - James George

Viloa - James George

Cello -

Bass - James George

Things are pretty wild up there right now, but if anyone else wants to step forward, even if they aren't making a track themselves, feel free to. Much appreciated.

DAMN! Why didn't I think of that? Each mixer's sig can be based off of who he or she is mixing! Jeez..., oh well. gts, our artists, should have some work done soon. Sketches, and the like. So, think about it. Leepmeister with Bowser playing drums as his sig, or the-almighty-tallest with starwolf as a street gang. When gts, our artist, gets done with some sketches, Ill let you know. But I haven't spoken with him for about a month, so he could be anywhere from "Still sharpening my pencil" to "Just finished the coloring". Ill ask tonight.

Interesting. I like the direction you're taking, it's different than the other WIPs so far. Its a little messy and needs work, but otherwise runs smooth. Of course, don't take it too harshly. Its a work-in-progress, or course it isn't going to be the best. Nice!

ed]

Things are pretty wild up there right now, but if anyone else wants to step forward, even if they aren't making a track themselves, feel free to. Much appreciated.

I can play drums live if need be.

And as for the sig thing, It sounds sweet. My sig should have both Starwolf and Andross in it somewhere, though. I have decided to use sprinklings of the Starwolf theme in places, but keep the Andross theme as the main theme. It will probably start with a little bit of starwolf, then go into a breakdown section, then play the andross stuff, then have a bit more Starwolf in the bridge and at the end. Seriously, Its going to rule.

ed]

And as for the sig thing, It sounds sweet. My sig should have both Starwolf and Andross in it somewhere, though. I have decided to use sprinklings of the Starwolf theme in places, but keep the Andross theme as the main theme. It will probably start with a little bit of starwolf, then go into a breakdown section, then play the andross stuff, then have a bit more Starwolf in the bridge and at the end. Seriously, Its going to rule.

Ooooh... drums. That may come in pretty handy. Are you good at orchestral/march kinda stuff? Perhaps I'll call you in for some help somehwere along the line.

And of course it's going to rule... this whole project is! :P

ed]

Ooooh... drums. That may come in pretty handy. Are you good at orchestral/march kinda stuff? Perhaps I'll call you in for some help somehwere along the line.

And of course it's going to rule... this whole project is! :P

I can. i can do anything, I suppose. Funk, Metal, Orchestral, Marching Band, Waltzes, Hip-Hop, Pop, Indie, Christrian Rap .... anything.

Christian Rap? Oh, god no... (Get it? Christian Rap? God? HAHaha...).

Anyway, does anyone want to a few questions?

- Why do the Torrents have FLAC files? What are they for?

- Can anyone provide their services to master tracks, with better quality samples, and mad expensive programs no all of us have? (Don't answer if you already did)

- How many judges need to OK a track for it to get through? 'Cause I was thinking, what if, instead of deciding ourselves, or leaving it up to the regualr judge amount, what if ALL judges needed to OK a track? Because I know that Summoning of Spirits is using the judges to decide what gets on (Thanks, pu). But, what if, instead of the norm, we used ALL of the judges, and needed a full, (if not missing one) to give a "yes"? It would ensure track quality, and make sure anything we might miss gets caught.

ed]Because I know that Summoning of Spirits is using the judges to decide what gets on.

On OCR (as with any other submitted remix), not the project. The remixers have to submit their tracks to the site separately.

i can play flute

what? don't give me those weird looks :wink:

:roll::?:lol:

Hey Anchorman Ron Burgandy played flute too, and he was one cool cat.

Aight guys I'm gonna get an update on my mix pretty soon. Nothing major, but i've been listening to evanescence and godsmack recently bc I've been doin a massive amount of programming and am really pissed off, so I thought now would be a good time to work on my Lufia track.

Great, we wanted evil music, not angry music. No, thats fine. I think it's great to see this project considered an escape, or recreation, rather than actual work. Keep up the good work.

Haha, well i got an update. Only one change in the arrangement :D whahahaha

But I did a crap load of work on mastering, def a big improvement on that area from my old stuff. Oh yeah the guitar is friggin awesome now that i got off my lazy ass and used guitar rig 2 for some added ooomph.

I'll get it up in the forums within the hour.

I posted a rough Bowser WIP on the, uh ...other... forum .

I'll probably take a week break or so from this as I remember that working on this has kept me away from various school responsibilities :? Plus it will give me a fresh ear when i pick it up again.

In the mean time, comments appreciated.

Great do far. At 1:00, I think the original SMB's castle theme might make a good bass, and at 2:50, it sounds a little like the endless staircase, and maybe something can be fitted in?

Otherwise, great work. If thats the "skeleton" of the track so far, I can't wait for the rest (as usual...). I feel like the guitar can get way sicker, but I guess if (and when) you get a live guitarist, some improve can be done.

ed]Hey! Dont look at me, I only know what I pu said. Not my fault! Not my fault!

*sigh*... the Summoning of Spirits project mixers are sending their tracks to the judges to be well... judged of course. I know that they're not doing it as a whole project (but most of the songs are being judged first).

That's why the idea was to make that a rule at this project. Every single mix being judged by the panel first beofre they're accepted into the project. I, for one, think it's a good idea. It would surely boost the quality of the project. Don't know what you guys think, though...

EDIT: The Live instruments... you seem to see piano and keyboard as one. They do in fact have a slightly different way of playing... Plus it's not a keyboard I have. But I'm just complaining about the smallest thing I could find I guess :wink:

EDIT2: FLAC files provide way better quality than mp3, but it's also a lot larger. Hence the coiche you offer: Small files with lower quality, or bigger files with higher quality

ed]

Anyway, does anyone want to a few questions?

- Why do the Torrents have FLAC files? What are they for?

Theyre a high-bitrate, seemingly high-quality type of music file. You need to get a codec to play them. I think theyre a waste of space, personally, one FLAC song can end up taking up more space than a whole album thats in MP3. You should state in the rules of this project that all entires must be in MP3, including WIPs

- Can anyone provide their services to master tracks, with better quality samples, and mad expensive programs not all of us have? (Don't answer if you already did)

I could.

- How many judges need to OK a track for it to get through? 'Cause I was thinking, what if, instead of deciding ourselves, or leaving it up to the regualr judge amount, what if ALL judges needed to OK a track? Because I know that Summoning of Spirits is using the judges to decide what gets on (Thanks, pu). But, what if, instead of the norm, we used ALL of the judges, and needed a full, (if not missing one) to give a "yes"? It would ensure track quality, and make sure anything we might miss gets caught.

I think it needs to get 3 more yes's than it does no's. I'm not particularly sure about the system either.

Despite not entirely knowing what the current system is, I'm happy with it. I know you wan't to ensure quality, but if we have to wait for every single judge to give us an YES, well, that could take ages. Judges might not have access to thier computer for weeks. We have to remember: Judges are people to. So in short I'm happy with the current system.

I think it needs to get 3 more yes's than it does no's. I'm not particularly sure about the system either.

You have to get either 4x YES or 3x NO. If it's real close (3x NO, 3x YES or something like that) they'll wait for more judges to give their opinions.

You have to get either 4x YES or 3x NO. If it's real close (3x NO, 3x YES or something like that) they'll wait for more judges to give their opinions.

Oh. Cool. Now I undesrtand. Yeah, I'm happy with that system.

Oh yeah, and just in case anyone can give me a few pointers, I'm kinda having a little trouble with andross's theme. Its just the music isn't exactly.... well, music. Don't get me wrong, I know the percussion pretty well and can do a lot of things with it, Its just the Synths are a bit mental... meh, I'm sure I'll figure something out.

What game are you using for reference? The N64? Hmm...yeah, the composers are doing this dramatic thing in three, trying to emulate a film score. A bit awkward to remix. Do you have MSN or something? I could help you out while you mix if you want.

Also, Andross' brain has a seperate theme, which might be easier to do. He's in the SNES version too, I think. (never beat that one...)