*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Storms of Bass'

Chimpazilla

Well hot damn, my favorite Zelda source tune of them all, of every Zelda game ever.  Also, this remix absolutely rocks.  I adore the arrangement and the sounds used.  I feel like the mixing could be improved though.  The epic bass tomfoolery is coming through just a bit too crunchy on the sides, and leads by comparison are on the thin/quiet side.  Everything is also somewhat bleedy, could use some eq adjustments.  The reverb is really heavy in some spots, which is fine, but maybe the reverb needs to be low-cut more.    Drums are fine.  The whole mix seems just a bit on the crunchy side.  The arrangement does get just a bit repetitive, but I feel like there is enough variation added, although some of the interesting elements are too quiet, for example the solo at 2:38, I can barely hear it, and I really want to.

I can see this getting a "resub" based on mixing, and I really wouldn't mind another pass at the mixing either, but this arrangement is too epic for me to pass up.   I'm such a sucker for anything Zelda..... unbelievably, I'm not even going to bitch about the fadeout ending.

Ok, edit.  Initially I voted YES;  I was listening to the remix on a Youtube video since the artist had not sent an mp3.  I requested an mp3 and he sent it right away (thanks!) so now, listening to the mp3, my mixing crits are confirmed even more (without any Youtube compression).  The mix is in fact much too crispy-crunchy in the highs, and it really does need some volume rebalancing to bring the leads to the front when they should be heard, such as at 2:38.  There are lots of lovely little detailed bits of writing that are nearly inaudible, little solos and arps and such.  Also, the overall mix is overcompressed, the gain on the master limiter and/or compressor needs to come down.  -6db RMS is ridiculously loud.  For this track I'd prefer -10 to -8 at the absolute tops.  No need to squash the thing to smithereens.

NO (but PLEASE PLEASE fix these issues and resub)

I definitely feel like this mix lives or dies based on EQ; it does feel very hot in the highs, and I feel like while compression was clearly used, side-chaining could have not only helped make the net effect more dramatic, but also reduced listening fatigue.

I dig the arrangement and some of the rhythmic changes made to the melody to make it accommodate the form.

I'm gonna say yes; even though I agree with Kris's comments in full, it's not QUITE a deal-breaker for me, though I'm curious to see how others feel.

YES

Very cool sound design. Source is there fsho. "oh yeah this is bass music" switch near the start is cool. Drums are a little too verb'd out, master bus is much too hot. This would sound way better if it wasn't so compressed - which is the deal-breaker for me. Kris is also right about subtle mixing issues. Overall it's well-done tho, your just pushing the master volume beyond the point of reasonableness.

NO (vry quick fix & resub)

Boy, right off the bat I hear some major distortion due to overcompr... oh. It's dubstep. Now I get it. I just voted on a rock submission that was overcompressed and finished my vote saying that I don't mind overcompression as much as I used to - maybe just the way things are going - but this tests that even further. In this sub, the apparent loudness is even greater. That said, I don't think it's a dealbreaker for me. I really dig the arrangement and most of the time the sound degradation is masked decently. There's a lot going on, but I can hear the details still. Yep, gets the ol' thumbs up from Palp. But please people, compress less!

YES

Opened up relatively sparse, but quickly filled out. I feel bad because Chimpa's so positive, but I've never been a fan of that FL Slayer guitar synth, first used at :20 here. It's almost always a poor, droning lead sound; the few times it works are when it (or the instruments around it) are produced so that it's very clear the Slayer lead isn't meant to imitate an electric guitar in any way. The timing & articulations on it sound very stiff.

I also thought the core kick pattern sounded vanilla; even though there were good subtle/quieter aspects to the percussion writing, the kick is by far the loudest part of it, so when that pattern sounds plain, bland & plodding, it drags the track down.

Those criticisms aside, the arrangement otherwise develops and evolves enough, so I didn't have a problem with that, even though I thought the FL Slayer stuff was a significant weak point.

Listening to this at a softer volume, I see how someone could think this is allowable & passable. One thing that's important for me when checking out louder or cluttered tracks is using a control track that I'm very familiar with that mixed pretty well and is at a normal volume. For years, I've used djp's Revenge of Shinobi 'Consent (Make Me Dance)'. After listening to that, it feels obvious to me that the loudest parts of this are too loud.

On the volume, I agree with the NOs about this being ridiculously loud. Even in a smaller aspect, for example, the sizzle at 1:03's percussion is too much. The overall levels are oppressively loud when you hear the densest stuff (:20-:50, 1:10-1:29, 1:42-2:10, 2:24-2:49). This was the kind of loud that causes ear damage, it's just absurd. During the thickest sections, all of the detail work in the supporting part-writing can't be distinguished, while the FL Slayer lead is buried, so the compression is over the top.

You can pull this back without losing the overall power here, Twisteryn, but the current levels are unintentionally a joke; all the more obvious when doing a side-by-side comparison it to other music. The arrangement is solid, and I would change my vote if the levels were reined in.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gotta say, I'm surprised by the nods here.  The track is overly loud and the highs are blistering in the more intense sections.  There's very noticeable artifacts/pumping from overcompression as well.

Agreed with Larry on not being a huge fan of Slayer.  Anyone familiar with FL will instantly recognize it.  Still, there's nothing inherently wrong with using it and, as Larry mentioned, it's clearly not an attempt here to pass as a live instrument.

Cool ideas for sure.  If you know me, you know I can get behind dubsteppy mixes. Seriously, though, tone it down a bit so we can enjoy the track properly :)

NO resubmit, please