CastleMania - A Castlevania/Pro Wrestling Concept Album

MindWanderer

5 hours ago, begoma said:

I'd like to do something with "Julius Belmont: Don't Wait Until Night a.k.a. Can't Wait Until the Night" if it is still available.

Yep, it sure is!  I've put you down.

I really wasn't expecting this landslide of popularity for the "face" themes.  There's some really great music among the "heel" themes.  I suppose the hero themes are a little more iconic.

I'd still rather people not claim more than one song at a time, but if anyone has completed a substantial WIP for a hero theme and would like to claim a villain theme as well, I'm all for it.

• 1 month later...

All right, CCoI is all wrapped up, so let's kick this up a notch.

First, I'm closing signups for Faces for the time being.  I'll reopen it if we're still accepting new claims when the Heels are all caught up.

Second, I'm setting July 31, 2016 as the first check-in date.  I'd like to see at least a proof-of-concept, preferably a full WIP by that date.

Remember, if you have a concept that requires skills you don't have (especially guitar or vocals), post in the thread and I'll try to hook you up with someone if no one volunteers.

58 minutes ago, Laarx said:

Im definitely up for Elizabeth Bartley: Calling From Heaven since there is a lack of heels.

Heh, also a lack of divas (women) on both sides, but I'll take it!  Also putting you down for acoustic and electric guitar per your PM.

Well, there's a few ways of going about this, and bear in mind we're going to make two versions of the album.

In the full entrance, there's usually a huge introduction sequence.  Sometimes it's musical, sometimes it's just a skit or something.  And for our purposes, the majority of the time, that music is a completely different piece of music altogether, not part of their actual theme song.

In the actual theme songs, there's often no introduction at all to speak of, and when there is one, it's rarely more than about 10 seconds.  In fact, in recent years, it's been almost exactly 10 seconds an awful lot of the time.  That's gotta be intentional.

So, for our artists, you can take any of the following directions:

• Just make a song, with or without an intro.  10 seconds seems to be a magic number but is not required.  When we make the "event" album, we may add an intro of some sort separately, which may be music or something else.
  • Bake your "event" intro into your song.  This can be between about 30 and 90 seconds in length.  If it's lengthy, it should be based on a Castlevania source of some sort, and not a source used by a different remixer.  If it's only about 30 seconds, it can be original if you like.
  • Write a completely different short remix to be used as the intro.  Again, no more than about 90 seconds long.

In any event, the main body of the song, i.e. the theme song itself, can be anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes long.

Some examples:

• John Cena: This seems to be the archetype.  They used a completely unrelated piece of music for the introduction, which was longer than they wanted, so they just cut it short.  Then they kick into the theme song, which itself has a 10-second intro.
  • The Undertaker: A 90-second separate introduction followed by his theme song, which itself has an unusual 30 second introduction.  This is probably the outer limit of how much introduction there should be.
  • Triple H: This one is particularly well done and would be a good example for a remixer who wants to write their own introduction.  About 90 seconds of a simple song, which starts with simple tubular bells and gradually adds the metal elements seen in the theme song.  Then when it switches out to the theme song itself, it's a very natural transition despite the lengthy silence in between the songs.
  • Rey Mysterio: No introduction at all.  So that's an option.
  • John Cena again: Non-music intro.  This doesn't really work as-is with an audio-only album, but if we wanted to do a radio-drama style intro with sound effects and commentators, that's an option as well.

40 minutes ago, JonnyAtma said:

Hi MindWanderer, I'm totally down for doing this! I'd love to claim Wicked Child for the Mummy Men if possible.

Sweet, that gives us one tag team!  I was hoping for a tag team match, though I'll still have to round up opponents for them.  Definitely looking forward to this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I've never gotten a remix on this site and I've got an eccentric style but I'd like to join. I pick Doppelganger and the song is "Riddle". I admit that I don't watch much wrestling so I'd like a few pointers on this. Please let me join this project (I'm already part of the Terranigma project but I've got extra time). I'm a very hard worker and If you let me join, I'll probably update you with how it's going. 

33 minutes ago, Ronald Poe said:

I know I've never gotten a remix on this site and I've got an eccentric style but I'd like to join. I pick Doppelganger and the song is "Riddle". I admit that I don't watch much wrestling so I'd like a few pointers on this. Please let me join this project (I'm already part of the Terranigma project but I've got extra time). I'm a very hard worker and If you let me join, I'll probably update you with how it's going. 

I've just finished listening to the stuff you've put up for the PRC's and on Soundcloud, and it's really not what I'm looking for.  First is genre: Everything I heard was some very basic synth work.  Most of the WWE themes (there's a playlist in the first post) are made primarily with live instruments, with a few rare exceptions such as EDM.  And second, I'm afraid, is quality.  Album remixes don't have to be quite at the level needed for an OCR mixpost, but they do need to be in the general ballpark, and you're not there yet.

That being said, this album is still in the very early stages.  If you'd still like to get involved, what you can do is work on a remix in a compatible genre, post it in the WIP forum, and get some help getting it up to par.  I'd be happy to provide feedback to the best of my own ability, but honestly, my own remixes wouldn't be good enough either!  Other forum regulars and the WIP mods will be of more help than me.  If you can show me a finished remix that's close to the style I'm looking for and the quality level the OCR panelists are looking for, I'd be happy to have you on board.

Man, I freaking love the concept of this album man.
Anyway, while I can't help you with producing the main theme idea you have, I could rap on it if you're interested.

Although I don't have much in terms of previous work I can show (at the moment) because i'm in the process of putting el studio together, since considering how I recorded past things, they were pretty much potato quality. I can get back to you about that in the (if all goes according to plan) near future though. 

28 minutes ago, Cole Train said:

Man, I freaking love the concept of this album man.
Anyway, while I can't help you with producing the main theme idea you have, I could rap on it if you're interested.

Although I don't have much in terms of previous work I can show (at the moment) because i'm in the process of putting el studio together, since considering how I recorded past things, they were pretty much potato quality. I can get back to you about that in the (if all goes according to plan) near future though. 

I'll put you down on the list of available collaborators, then, and I hope someone will take you up on it!  The OCR rap scene, never strong to begin with, seems to be in a bit of a downturn lately.

17 minutes ago, MindWanderer said:

I'll put you down on the list of available collaborators, then, and I hope someone will take you up on it!  The OCR rap scene, never strong to begin with, seems to be in a bit of a downturn lately.

Alright then. And yeah, really has been ever since Chaotic back in December. 
Probably in part to Overclocked Assembled being busy with stuff and things recently as I've been told. Not easy to get in hold of em nowadays.

But if you want an idea of the type of rap I can see the intro being... closest comparison I can make is the rap style of DMX. I.e intense and passionate and such. 

Yeah, Sir Jordanius has always been the soul of the best hip-hop OCR has had to offer, and with him MIA, all that's left is a bunch of supporting artists.

I don't know much of anything about rap outside of the WWE research I've been doing, but here are some WWE theme songs for some example styles.  Additionally, Flo Rida seems to be the single most prolific contributor of WWE themes in recent years; he seems to do hip-hop which isn't always rap.

True, I know Flo Rida and how his music is. Personally though, I never thought his music seemed... 
Fitting for Wrestlemania at all. 

If you believe that something more similar in feeling to that would be ideal, I can rap in a way that is more similar to how he raps in the more "pop-ish" songs Flo is known for. Just as an idea, I feel like something more passionate and aggressive (like DMX's style) would be more fitting to the theme personally (just not so NSFW). If you want an example of what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIeSGUK-Lyo

Hm... where you hear "passionate and aggressive," I guess I'm hearing more "shouting his voice raw."  It's a pretty small difference between that and the third example I posted, though, in terms of rap style.  In terms of the piece as a whole, the WWE main theme songs tend to be much more musical than DMX's style, and thus would probably be best accompanied by a more musical rap style.  The theme songs of individual wrestlers are sometimes much more similar to his, though.

However, ultimately, if we found you a partner to provide the instrumentation and production, they'd be the best person to have this conversation with.  A coherent piece of music is the most important thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...