OCR03417 - *YES* Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island "Plastic Smile"

djpretzel

Some twisted & dark ideas here, but also some repetition/stasis... hard to judge, see what you think. -djp

---

Contact Information

Submission Information

This is a mix that is part of my little solo project called "My Happy Place."  Basically, this project is my attempt at being comfortable with being uncomfortable as I try to tackle a few tracks from the SMW2 soundtrack and remix them in various styles that I'm not all that familiar with.  At the time of this writing, I have finished 6 tracks.  I'm not sure how many I will end up doing, but I'm hoping to get a least 5 more done.

Anyway, this particular remix is sort of a dark, glitchy, twisted take on the Castle/Fortress theme.  It's quite different from the other mixes on the project, as they are more upbeat and happy.  It was a crazy experiment for me, but I really like how it came out.  I normally don't even listen to my own music, but I found myself listening to this on repeat just trying to figure out how the hell I pulled this one off (LOL).  

This song was inspired by a crazy dream my wife had of strange people following her around town with a crazy big smile on their faces.  One was even crying, but still had a gigantic, fake smile on her face.  And they never spoke to her in the dream, just stared, and smiled...

The glitchy sounds and overall feel of the song was inspired by the intro for American Horror Story.  I love that creepy, unsettling feeling portrayed in the song and I wanted to replicate that in my own way.  I felt that the Castle theme would be perfect for this effect.  Though, the instruments that I chose aren't the best in the world, I felt that they do add to the overall feeling I was going for in this mix.  Their fakeness just kinda works, ya know?

The project can be found on my SoundCloud page above, and here is a direct link to the song:  

Wow, I like this. Very eerie sound, with all of the reversals and glitching all over the place. The little laughs that appear throughout really adds to the atmosphere, as well.

The production, while loud, makes sense. It sounds grimy and dirty, but it sounds like it's SUPPOSED to be like that. Even so, it still sounds a little too overcompressed, but not quite a dealbreaker. The mixing seems a little hit-or-miss in this, too - it's very easy to lose the instruments that are playing the theme behind the string ostinato that is often in the background. Sometimes, the strings crescendo too much and overpower the theme carrying instrument, too (such as at 3:41).

All that being said, that atmosphere is quite dominating, in a good way. It really gives me some CotMM vibes, with a touch of Elfman for good measure, and that is never a bad thing. While the mixing could be better, and the production is a little overcompressed, I think the overall atmosphere and character of this arrangement pushes this above the bar. It's not perfect, but I believe it would be well placed on the site.

YES

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty much with Gario, and I also hear the repetition concerns djp pointed out. The arrangement's interpretive and substantive enough that I believe it can bear the repetition, but I felt that more pronounced dynamic contrast in place would have made this sound even more interesting. I hear Gario's criticisms on the instrument balance and some parts feeling lost in the overall soundscape, but I didn't have any huge problems with that. All that said, it works for me.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/03/07 - (2Y) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 'Plastic Smile'
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I absolutely LOVE this and it is very well done.  My only complaint is the hard panning of the occasional solo violin on the left but it's not a big deal and actually it fits this concept well.  Drums could be a bit more prominent.  I adore music that gives an odd uncomfortable feeling, and wow that dream your wife had!!!  This is the perfect soundtrack to that dream.  I especially love the out of tune piano, both the melodies and the occasional slam on the keyboard, and the glitching.  A bit repetitive, yes, but cool all the way through.  Nice work.  :nicework:

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/03/07 - (3Y) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 'Plastic Smile'

This is pretty cool overall, i like the creative use of sound effects that creates the mood, but married to a decently tight arrangement. There are a lot of surprises that jump out, but the pace and structure is maintained, giving the piece a direction. I think a little extra variety at the end or a slightly shorter run time would ave strengthened the overall track, I think the work presented is solid.

Nice work,

Yes

• OceansAndrew changed the title to 2016/03/07 - (4Y) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 'Plastic Smile'