Super Mario Bros. Theme (World 1-1) Remix

I had a lot of fun arranging this. I joined my school's jazz band this year, and after playing a few retro tracks, I just sat down and made my own chord progression that sounded kind of like a 70's whole deal. And then I thought, "What if I put the Mario theme over this?" And I fell in love. I definitely went for the more funky weird vibe with this one. Let me know what you think!

I think I finally fixed it, I made lots of edits to try and make this one better. It should be pretty near completion if not already.

Most recent version: 

eval:

There's some odd timing choices that I think could be smother, but other than that I really like the writing here. Starting the whole track at a later part of the source was a great idea.

On the other hand, the mixing is horrible. Horrible. Level, eq, panning, reverb; they're are your friends, don't be afraid of them. The 1:45 bit is especially bad in this regard. I can't tell which instrument I'm supposed to listen to.

The sound design is cool. Really cool. You just gotta bring out the right instruments out of the messy mix to let all the elements really shine.

Source is there, handled creatively atop the original chord progression. It works well, both recognizeable and clearly made your own.

I don't think you'd need to do much more than clean up the mix and maybe sort out some of the note timings in the early parts of the mix, and then it's ready to be subbed imo. Nice work.

I'm pretty sure I fixed these issues, now.

On 1/4/2017 at 0:35 PM, Rozovian said:

On the other hand, the mixing is horrible. Horrible. Level, eq, panning, reverb; they're are your friends, don't be afraid of them. The 1:45 bit is especially bad in this regard. I can't tell which instrument I'm supposed to listen to.