Gario

NoTuX

Damon Campbell

https://soundcloud.com/notux-1

Submission Information

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sky Chase Zone.  Original:  https://youtu.be/0FCHk_gSwKo

Composer:  Masato Nakamura

This is my short remix of the Sky Chase Zone.  I started this a while back and kinda left it unfinished when my life got busy.  I finally had a chance to get back to it and shape it up some more after I finally bit the bullet and purchased Komplete 11.  At first, I was a bit too cheap/poor to go out and buy samples, but since I decided I want to take music a little more seriously this year, I figured I should get better samples and work on getting better in general.  So, there will be many more old, abandoned projects that I will be revisiting and submitting.

Back to the remix!  This is another one of my "chill" remixes with just a bit of trap thrown in.  I named it Sky High because I was kinda high off of a muscle relaxer I had to take after I pulled a muscle in my back.  All I could do was lay in bed all day, so I whipped my laptop out and started working on this before I got drowsy.  Definitely not the best method for making music, but whatever works...

Direct Link to mix:  

I hope yall enjoy it.

Peace out

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/12/29 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Sky High'

The trap elements in such a relaxed, ethereal mix took a little bit of getting used to, but it works.

The reverb is applied a little inconsistently, where some instruments (like the tubular bells) have much less than others (like the guitar), making them subtly sound like they're not in the same space.  The ending was a little abrupt; it's not unusual for a chill arrangement like this to have little in the way of a climax, but this ending came out of nowhere for me.

I only have those minor complaints, though.  Overall it's a very pretty piece, and does what it's supposed to do perfectly well.

YES

• 1 month later...

Pretty chill approach with a narrower dynamic curve, something I'm used to with Damon's work. The sampled guitar had a mechanical sound, but it was effected in a way where it was serviceable, particularly due to the nice delay trail the notes had. Didn't love the synth from 1:23-1:49, if only because it was kind of vanilla, but I did like that it noticeably changed the texture.

1:49 shifted to a thinner texture primarily backed by string accents. The bowed strings there and then the piano at 2:18 didn't sound realistic, but also weren't too exposed to where it caused a big issue; just something to work on to elevate your execution.

The fade at the end wasn't sudden, per se, but felt a touch too fast; no big deal there.

It's possible there could be some NOs, but this was solidly developed and executed, IMO. So overall, solid use of these samples, and mixed in a way that mitigated the realism issues, but I'd love to hear this part of your track step up. That said, for something where the textures weren't busy, you did a nice job of filling in the soundscape and not allowing this to feel thin and empty.

Arrangement-wise, you did well in working in subtle variations in the leads and textures, and shifting the focus from source tune to original writing at 1:49; pretty seamless work in that respect.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/12/29 - (2Y) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Sky High'

Not much to add here. Possibly personal preference, but I wasn't feeling the hi hat sound overall. Other than that, this is a nice chill mix that really works with the source. Love the dreamy feel, and your inspiration is hitting home with me (after recently breaking my ankle and also having to take muscle relaxers and pain meds). Nice work!

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the guitar will fool anyone with the performance, as it's a bit stiff at some points, but the processing on it is really sweet, as well as the melody lines it plays.  The synth leads and the piano were soft and very sweet, I quite liked the textures used for these, sure they are rather simple but they have a very nice tone that complements this track perfectly.  The drum sequencing is simple but effective, and I never felt the track was on auto-pilot.  There's a lot of re-arrangement here, even though we can hear the original in the underlying progression and sometimes just plainly in the synth leads.  This is another one for our OCR Chill remixes youtube playlist.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/12/29 - *YES - TAG* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Sky High'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic