ClanOCR: DS/Wii Friendcode Database

A few things:

-With that stringent a type constraint, a challenger can just use weakness to trivialize the challenge.

That's the point. The challengers are supposed to not have too much trouble beating the gym leaders. That's why they have to beat so many of them.

-Would a challenger have to use the same team against all the gym leaders?

Does he have to in the single-player game?

-If so, would a challenger becoming a leader have to use the team he used to beat them? As in, do the challenger teams have to follow the same conventions as the leaders?

Not sure what you're asking here. If a gym leader wants to become an Elite Four member, they have to face the Elite Four with a team that would be valid for gym use. A regular challenger doesn't become a gym leader that way; he just makes a team and a badge.

-Flint's team had 3 of his 5 pokémon not have fire type at all - Lopunny, Drifblim, Steelix though they did have one fire move apiece. Cynthia's team was totally mixed.

Big deal.

Yeah... No offence to you and the other guys at ReMod, Oddllama, but those "gym leader" systems never work. I don't think I've ever seen one actually last more than a week. Most of them never go past the initial planning stage.

Sure, with an attitude like that they'll never take off.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, honestly. If this takes off I'd like to see how it turns out.

As far as themes go, by far the most flexible is Dragon. You have "Dragon-like" Pokémon with completely different typing like Gyarados or Charizard that could easily fit into the theme, plus diversity between dragons (Salamence and Garchomp can be played very differently ... they and Dragonite get some interesting and diverse movesets).

Would Legendaries be allowed? Rayquaza would finish off the dragon set for a pretty godlike team.

There are so many psychic legendaries that even under strict typing requirements a psychic team could be powerful. Cresselia, Mewtwo, Jirachi are played completely differently, and Mew is unpredictible. All but Jirachi share a dark weakness, to counter some pretty amazing stats.

I think this can be very cool, depending on where you go with it.

Sure, with an attitude like that they'll never take off.

Attitude, nothing. There are hundreds of these gym setups, and none of them ever work. Gamefaqs, Serebii.net, even Smogon... none of them ever go very far.

It's just that statistically, it's not likely to happen.

Way too simple to beat any gym leader or elite 4 member. Why be a gym leader or elite four member when you can just repeatedly pounce them? I see nothing good coming out of being a gym leader except for racking up repeated losses on your record card.

One type for each gym leader means easy wins for a trainer, and beating the elite four is no different. With us, the trainers, knowing what pokemon a gym leader or an elite four member is going to use basically gives us an automatic win. There are so many counter strats you could make against any list of pokemon that you are able to see.

Sorry, it doesn't look like it would work at all.

EDIT: It would, however, if you made a whole lot more rules to go with it. For example:

-Gym leaders are to have only one type, but are not to show which pokemon they are going to use prior to the match. Gym leaders are limited to only the type that they are representing, however they are not limited to a select number of pokemon of that type. All pokemon of the type they are reprsenting are able to be used by the gym leader. This helps keep the feel that the anime had when Ash went against the gym leaders, at least this is what I remember of how the gym battles in Kanto went. Ash only knew the just the type and number of pokemon he was going to go against. He had no idea which pokemon he was going to face in the battle prior to the match.

-Item clause is permanently in effect, however, instead of how my tournament is allowing 2 of any item, there may only be 1 select item per pokemon. These battles are supposed to show skill, and relying on the same item, lets say "left overs" for example would be doing just the opposite.

-Sleep clause is in effect. Only one pokemon may be put to sleep at a time.

-Gym battles are to be a 3 on 3 match.

-Battles are to be forced level 100 battles, so that there is no level superiority over another pokemon in a match.

-Elite 4 members are to have 2 types that they are able to use. As with the gym leaders, they are not limited to who they can or can't chose in the type that they are representing. Elite 4 members are not to show which pokemon they are going to be using in a match.

-Elite 4 battles are to be a 5 on 5 battle.

etc etc

This CAN work, but you have to put a lot more thought into it than what you did so far Bongo.

This helps keep the feel that the anime had when Ash went against the gym leaders, at least this is what I remember of how the gym battles in Kanto went. Ash only knew the just the type and number of pokemon he was going to go against. He had no idea which pokemon he was going to face in the battle prior to the match.

How is that different to the game? I don't recall even being told how many pokémon the leaders had let alone what they were. :S

I think it would be more fun if the challengers didn't know anything about any of the leaders - type etc. But the gym leaders were just restricted to type.

Oh! oh! I place candidacy for a Grass or Water type gym! But yea these things don't work out too well. It kinda worked with the card game and the "pokemon league" at stores but then the "leader" gets lazy and starts stamping things or giving stuff out without working towards it. Arek has many points, Gym leaders if we go by how the game plays them will just rank up losses after losses. The show's gyms were suppose to be tough. Not small hurdles to the league, they posed a challenge in which sometimes it took more than one try to beat. Heck we never got to see the Kanto Elite Four in their full feldge action...

I'd say one type but pokemon aren't restricted to that type. If the pokemon isn't the type (lets say dragon type) it still embodies the essance of the type (like Charizard, Gyrados, etc.). Also at least one physical move must be of that type.

The question is though, the way most gyms are...they don't have Uber pokemon or heck even some of the Overused :/ The trainers as well (though depends, sometimes on the game).

3on3 sounds about fair. And yea it should be a guessing game. Having it 3on3 and having at least 9 different pokemon to choose from keeps each match refreshing.

Organizing something like this will be a pain though. Also taxing on the leader's and champion's FC listing. I guess deleting the previous match (unless they lost) would work but meh :/

Honestly I would wait for Pokemon Battle Revolution (yea I know we all don't have Wii's) but it would help us a lot more since we'd have new friend code listings there, prettier graphics and most importantly (other than keeping our DS fight scores safe)....

Customizable avatars! Lets face it, some gym leader's we'll be when we appear to have the same generic guy. I dunno I would rather look different >.>

The pokemon tournament is almost here!

PLEASE either AIM me or post in this thread if you wish to join.

To those that are already in, SEND ME THOSE LISTS. If needed I can push the tournament back to the 20th, but that is IT!

Let's make this a good one guys! JOIN TODAY!

I'd join in on the Pokemon fun, but nothing doing until I've done a few things... Namely, set a personal record by beating a Pokemon game's Elite Four in one day (I've got seven gym badges and 10 hours to go), collect a full alphabet of Unown, and (of course) complete the Sinnoh-dex so I can transport Pokemon worth battling in the tourney.

So... Up to this point, maybe.

For whose who are getting this when you visit my database:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /www/1111mb.com/d/r/a/drack/htdocs/db.php on line 2

Could not select the database! Something's wrong with the G-diffuser!

1111mb seems to be having problems. See their main page http://www.1111mb.com/

Fatal error: Failed to connect to the DB server in /var/wkscript/db.php on line 28

If this is not solved soon I will switch hosts.