DragonAvenger

Remixer name: Ghetto Lee Lewis
email address: 
userid: 1002

Name of game arranged: Heretic
Name of arrangement: Cathedral of Carnage
Name of individual song arranged: The Cathedral

Download Link: 

Heretic, 1994, Created by Raven Software.  Published by Id software.  Composed by Kevin Schilder.

It's been about 14 years (I think) since I've submitted anything.  "Cathedral of Carnage" is part of a remix album I'm releasing called "Heretic Sinphony".  The album is now available for free on bandcamp (24 bit FLAC).  

I'm hoping the album can be released as an official solo project (I've submitted a WIP through projects submissions already; still waiting to hear from them).

This song is the first one I worked on for the album, and featured as the third track.  It was produced using FL Studio, and features samples from East West Hollywood Orchestra and Native Instruments, along with a mishmash of VST synths, and drums from the Vengeance library.  I plan on releasing more songs from my album over the next few weeks.  Stay tuned.  =)

Urgh, Ghetto Lee Lewis. This is the guy that whenever I see him in a competition I always (foolishly) think "Man, I'll get him this time!"... and every time he produces something absolutely amazing and utterly crushes me. I'm very surprised he hasn't submit anything in fourteen years, since he's shown that he's an amazing remixer over the years.

Glad to be able to listen to one of his more recent outings on here because it's as amazing as usual - the balance of instruments is perfect, the production is tight as hell, and the gradual build from subtle to intense is perfect. The only real complaint to this is that I wish it were longer, but in all honesty that's more of a stealth compliment than anything.

Amazing work, and I'm glad to see you pushing some more of your tunes on here again. Looking forward to more of your album being put on here, too, since it's all really good!

YES

Production and instrumentation are top-notch, as expected, but I'm not sold on the structure, myself.  More than half of it (up to 1:56) is build-up, and then 1:56-3:08 is additive repetition of a very simple hook.  All that suspense leading into a section that's so repetitive was pretty disappointing.

Still, the strengths of this are way up there.  I wish the main section had more in it to hold the listener's interest, both in variety and length (compared to the build-up), but I don't think it's worth sending this back over.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Lot of good points made by the others here, I totally agree that the build up is really well accomplished and the instrument balance is top notch here. Everything has it's place and contributes to a pretty great build. The actual payoff is good, though I agree that it does end up being repetitive with the same riff being used a lot. I'm not really bothered by it overall given the repetitive nature of the original and that there are some subtle differences in the end riffs that help keep things interesting. 

Nice work, glad to hear you submitting again!

YES

Good opening piano, if a bit mechanical. What strikes me initially is that apart from some lighter strings, most parts occupy the right channel for the first minute, which I find a bit odd.  Even after more parts come in, the right channel still seems to noticeably dominate. The transition in arrangement and pacing midway through was well implemented and a welcome departure from the previous section which had started to get repetitive. The boom at 1:54 caused some distortion in the dynamics and should be revisited. Confusingly the kick is also in the right channel, which at this point, caused me to check my hardware. I can hear your snare hitting in the left channel, but it lacks enough body to offset the kick. While I can appreciate that off-panned instruments can be a interesting design choice, with the left channel under utilised throughout the majority of the mix, I feel the technique doesn't work here. I feel this really needs a rethink of the mixing side, to balance the instruments more appropriately across the stereo spectrum. What you have here otherwise is decent and a solid take on the original.

NO

Wow, nice. The piano that dropped in at the beginning at :14 was silky smoove. I love the instrumental expansion for the start, and the textures were awesome. Ooh, really didn't expect the bitcrushed stuff at :43. Definitely threw me for a loop in a good way. And now I'm smiling and dipping to the beat Thomas set here, really digging the approach here. The string work at :58 was a little subtle under the electronic lead, but the overall mixing was solid, and the interplay between the electronic lead, the string and the piano was nice.

When the beefy beat came in at 1:27, I thought the mixing needed some work; it was odd how heavy that beat was, yet the rest of the soundscape felt more dry until 1:41 brought in that countermelodic line. No big deal. There's a relative emptiness during the 1:56-2:25 section that I can't put my finger on, but 2:25 picked things up very nicely and filled out the soundscape with the intensity I'd been expecting before. Strong stuff before winding down with the fade out finish of the opening piano.

Aside from some mixing tweaks, what more could you ask for? Great expansion and personalization of the theme. GLL's clearly not been resting in the near-14 years he's been away from submitting music to OCR, and I'm honored to be the closing vote on this one.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03629 - *YES* Heretic "Cathedral of Carnage" *PROJECT*
  • Liontamer locked and unpinned this topic