OCR03711 - *YES* Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow "Dance with Popcorn"

Gario

Artist: Guifrog
Remix Title: "Dance like Popcorn"
Remix File: 
Main Source: Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (PC) - "The Sacrifice of Maui": https://youtu.be/BKay0PrLjAs
Minor Source: Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (PC) - "The Flying Duckman": https://youtu.be/3FxJ3hKMIto

I used to be scared of lava/volcano themed zones, but then there was The Sacrifice of Maui and the background music seemed to desperately try to warm my heart despite all the firey stuff - no pun/irony intended.

On to the facts:

1) The title was my first thought. I wanted to pay homage to an old great friend of mine. He used to say "dançando que nem pipoca" as he listened to dancey music, but we hadn't had contact for years;
2) It starts with the muddrakes summoning the remix (actually, those "tchoomba tchoomba umbrlbrl" voices are my own; the "HO, HA, UHA" part was edited from a sample by Freesound user "qubodup");
3) The whole track was built in a way that things tend to get more intense as it goes, like gradual popping from kernels;
4) Timbales may be seen as popping kernels too;
5) I showed this to my friend's sister, who's just as special to me. She showed it to him, he got my number and said "Obrigado". According to her, this was a very special gift because this guy's diagnosed with autism and it made him interact happily with his family like he hasn't for a pretty long while.

Needless to say, this mix now warms me a lot. Hope it does the same to you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Fun stuff, as always. The energy is great, and while the mix is fairly conservative in regards to arrangement, the soundscape is fresh. 

Samples are smartly used, and I appreciate that you work really hard to finesse them as best you can. It's an art to pull out the humanization you do out of them!

Nitpicking that the kick hitting (almost) every beat does get a little old by the end, but not a dealbreaker in the long run. A break a little more often would have been great.

I'm ready to party with a mixed drink and watch the parade with this song :)

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/10/02 - (3Y) Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow (PC) 'Dance with Popcorn'
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR03711 - *YES* Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow "Dance with Popcorn"
  • Liontamer locked this topic