BloomingLate

2. ready for review Tennis (Game Boy) - BGM 2 Orchestral Remix

5 posts in this topic

After many (sometimes frustrating) hours of work I have finally managed to complete this remix. I turned the second BGM from the classic Game Boy game 'Tennis' into an orchestral piece.
This time I worked with FL Studio 20 and more professional sound libraries such as Cinematic Strings 2 and Garritan Personal Orchestra 5. I first expected to just copy/paste the notes from my MuseScore version, but quickly found that working with better packages was very inspirational. As a result I managed to create a much more interesting and vibrant composition than I could not have pulled off with MS.

I made some important changes compared to the first version:

• Added a pizzicato intro that is supposed to suggest a tennis match with 2 points scored before a ace is landed. This is a reference to a feature in the game where the computer will often use a nearly unstoppable move (ace in tennis terms) that got me so angry as a kid playing this game. The title reflects this also: 'Ace on Me'.
  • I replaced the vibraphone and harp with the piano, which just sounds much better.
  • I added more voices and used different play styles for the strings sections.

Thanks to this discussion I was able to overcome some problems with getting the volume right. I did my best to make the mix work well, but still need more practice with the mixer, EQ and all that stuff.

I am open to your feedback, but also a bit reluctant to touch this project more. I would very much like to submit it to ocremix, so I guess if it is not up to standards yet, I may have to dive back into it.

Alright, enough talk. To the mix:

Original track:

Previous version:

Edited by BloomingLate
removed wip-tag

*bump*

It is about to fall off the first page of the forum and I'm still eagerly awaiting review. :)

Just for my information: how active are the judges/mods these days? I can't shake the feeling that OCR is not the place it used to be, say 10 years ago. Did something happen besides people just moving on to other things? (feel free to PM me on that, rather than comment here).

On 4 September, 2018 at 8:18 PM, BloomingLate said:

Just for my information: how active are the judges/mods these days? I can't shake the feeling that OCR is not the place it used to be, say 10 years ago. Did something happen besides people just moving on to other things? (feel free to PM me on that, rather than comment here).

Uh, I took a vacation from this subforum to finish the sd3 project, with other staff taking over covering this place. Evaluations have become somewhat less frequent since.

But we didn't always have evaluators/mod reviewers/workshop mods/whatever, yet there used to be a lot more activity here. A bigger reason for the shift since ten years ago is that the community is spread out over multiple platforms. There's the forum, obviously. Then there's different social media, though these aren't that useful for crits. There's Discord, which has taken the role of the irc channels. There's the ocr YouTube, which is convenient but commnts are a far cry from the stuff in the reviews subforum here.

Then there's also a shift in how people use the internet. Ten years ago, forums were a big deal. Nowadays, people interact via any of many social media platfoms instead, which is more geared towards person to person conversations, or broadcasting your status updates to everyone you know. That's not conducive to the kind of community ocr used to be. Left unaddressed so far is reddit, but it's largely anonymous which doesn't foster the kind of community ocr does, and ocr doesn't have a wip forum there anyway. And why bother with the latter? There are already music feedback subreddits, but these tend to either focus on the craft more generally, or get overrun with self-promotion posts.

Basically, the internet has shifted away from forum communities.

If you want to change that, start commenting on people's wips yourself. You're part of this community too.

It's a good conversation to have, mods/admins can splice this off into a new thread somewhere, or move it into the workshop discussion thread I made, if you'd prefer this thread be only about your wip. Just PM and ask them. I figured I'd post here rather than keep the conversation private.

To answer the question on how late we are in general... well, right now the judges are slow on our end at the moment (this includes me!), and as far as workshop moddin' things have been fairly slow as well. We've taken a few steps to try to alleviate this as Rozo is on vaca and I'm unfortunately divided on my own attention to the forum, things are definitely not as active as I'd like them to be.

On the broader point that OCR ain't what it used to be, yeah, the forums are considerably slower, likely due to the population's switch to Discord channels (which has a robust WIP channel in itself), FB, Youtube, etc., but the staff does still pay attention to the forums. I won't expand on too much more than that, but your observation ain't off too much.

On topic, generally we do pretty well with a PM, though, so send one our way and we'll surely get someone to help you out soon. I apologize that I can't give this a fair shake at the moment. I do appreciate the bump, though!

18 hours ago, Rozovian said:

Basically, the internet has shifted away from forum communities.

If you want to change that, start commenting on people's wips yourself. You're part of this community too. 

It's a good conversation to have, mods/admins can splice this off into a new thread somewhere, or move it into the workshop discussion thread I made, if you'd prefer this thread be only about your wip. Just PM and ask them. I figured I'd post here rather than keep the conversation private.

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I'm not much of a social media person myself (at all) so I guess that explains why I'm missing a lot of what's going on. I'm starting to see that having more personal connections is probably more valuable than shooting for input from random passers-by.
The reason for my being here is mostly because I've finally got up to a point that I feel somewhat confident enough to put my music out there for other people to hear and critique. That was a big hurdle to overcome in the first place. I haven't really thought about how I should go about connecting to the broader community.

You're right about how I should be commenting on people's wips myself :) That's a good place to start.

Kudos to you both (and others) who have stuck around all that time despite changes in how people interact with the site. I always felt OCremix had a bit of a professional flavor. I would hate to see it go down.
Seeing how there is still a regular output of new mixes and albums I guess I don't have to worry about that yet. :)

15 hours ago, Gario said:

To answer the question on how late we are in general... well, right now the judges are slow on our end at the moment (this includes me!), and as far as workshop moddin' things have been fairly slow as well. We've taken a few steps to try to alleviate this as Rozo is on vaca and I'm unfortunately divided on my own attention to the forum, things are definitely not as active as I'd like them to be.

On the broader point that OCR ain't what it used to be, yeah, the forums are considerably slower, likely due to the population's switch to Discord channels (which has a robust WIP channel in itself), FB, Youtube, etc., but the staff does still pay attention to the forums. I won't expand on too much more than that, but your observation ain't off too much.

On topic, generally we do pretty well with a PM, though, so send one our way and we'll surely get someone to help you out soon. I apologize that I can't give this a fair shake at the moment. I do appreciate the bump, though!

Thanks for your additional comments Gario. No need to apologize though :) I realize you're all doing this on a voluntary basis (right?) and we all have other things that rightfully demand our attention.
I was just curious to learn a bit more about how things are run here, which helps with expectations. Like I said above, I always felt like this place had a professional vibe to it and got the impression that it was full of activity. I was a little confused and mildly shocked to find that it got so quiet around here. Especially with "recent" forum posts dating back to 2009 or 2011. That's why I was wondering if something bad had happened. Something that was best to be discussed in PM, rather than in public.

18 hours ago, Rozovian said:

It's a good conversation to have, mods/admins can splice this off into a new thread somewhere, or move it into the workshop discussion thread I made, if you'd prefer this thread be only about your wip. Just PM and ask them. I figured I'd post here rather than keep the conversation private

I guess my questions were partially triggered by reading the post about the significance of forum feedback in improvement. So I don't know if this discussion belongs to that, or something else.
I'm satisfied with the answers I got, but perhaps if you feel like it is worth exploring more then yeah, we can ask a mod to work some magic on it :D

(Sorry for the double post. The previous one wouldn't let me write more :P)