FFVI - Terra's theme

CelestialAeon

Ah, this was lovely. A decidedly delicate feeling with tuned percussion, some acoustics, and female vocals (for which I is a sucker.) If I may wax poetic for a moment, your approach captures the more magical side of Terra, along with all the wonder, mystique, and awe. The vocals give me serious Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess vibes, and the acoustic guitar and percussion remind me a bit of timaeus222's Progressive Memory (which is a great song on the sight, I highly recommend it.) Frankly, I think my only complaint is that isn't longer. At the same time, that short sweetness... Nice work, nice work.

It's really chill and lovely, and at the same time epic and sad. The arrangement and the production are on point. But damn, it's short!

Around 1:35, you start building up with your drums, and then, it just deflate instantaneously, when I was hoping for the B section (major part) to begin all bright and shiny. I find this a bit anticlimactic. You maked this as ready for review, so maybe you'll be willing to add a few more ideas in your track (one can dream ^^)? 

But except that, it still a very solid composition, highly cinematic and emotional! Good job! :D

Thank you for your kind words! And I know what you mean about length. It's sometimes really hard to decide regarding keeping it short and more to the point instead of building and making it more epic and longer arc. But this time I thought that instead of doing that climax I wanted it to stay fragile and short. It enhances the sort of tragic and sad aspect to it. But we'll see if I return to this theme and make a longer remix or something :)

• 2 months later...

Loving the use of chromatic percussion here. The fact that the bells/gongs can be heard on both sides of the stereo field add some nice spaciousness. There's some great nuance on the guitar as well, such as the hard hits around 1:36 vs. the softer playing at 1:41. If I'm nitpicking, I might say the solo strings (cello?) at the end sound a little artificial. I think it's mainly the transition between the last two notes at 2:01 and 2:03, they seem to overlap unnaturally.

I like the deviation from the original lead melody at 0:58 too - I feel like your take on Terra's theme is more melancholy than the original, which the new intervals here seem to accentuate.

I agree it's rather short though! I could easily listen to another minute of this at least, but I suppose better short and sweet than long enough to wear out its welcome. Good stuff!

• 2 months later...

I am actually a huge fan of minimalist mixes. More is not always better. So kudos to you for going out on a limb with this and keeping it simple and meditative. I love the instrumentation you've used, and your mixing is spot on.

So...I'm going to mark this completed, because I think the quality is there, but I ALSO have reservations about the length of the piece. Not because I think what you've written is bad, but because I think it's incomplete. In my ears, you've told half a story. But that's such a subjective opinion, and the rest of the mix is so good, that I am going to leave the decision up to you whether or not you think this is ready for the judges. Just be prepared for them to come back to you with similar feedback. If they do, though, I feel like you're skilled enough to know how to flesh out the story of the piece and fatten it up. Great job. 

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have set it to Completed status, indicating that I think your remix is ready to be submitted to the Judges Panel. Congratulations!

If you feel like you still need to work on your track and want more feedback, you can change the prefix back to Work-in-Progress and we'll go through the review process again.

If you decide to submit your track, please change the prefix to Submitted after sending your email. Thank you!