OCR04402 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "The Beginning"

Rexy

• 4 weeks later...

Another quiet master, but it is such a delicate track that it feels appropriate, although I'd still prefer it a little louder.  This is a fairly straightforward and lovely runthrough of the source theme.  The ocarina is performed well, and I like the low and high doubling of the motif.  The source tune is slow and relaxing and the remix maintains that slow vibe, and this doesn't make for the most exciting remix, but it's sweet and meditative.  The outro goes on too long for my taste.  It feels like the track is ending after about 2:40, but then there's a little more motif at 3:20.  The track definitely could have ended after that last motif; dragging it out until 4:00 really feels excessive.  I can't find any solid reasons not to accept this track, but I'd kind of like to see what other Js think of it before voting on it.

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2020/04/03 - (1?) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "The Beginning"

The soundscape sounded a lot more intimate than I anticipated. Things sound quite close. A smaller ensemble is used for this one, with foresty vibes and bird sounds scattered around. Maintains a fairly slow pace throughout, though that's ok. Not as eventful as your other pieces, but I see this one as a chill ride. The arrangement does play things a bit safe and not go anywhere too original, but that are enough backing elements and additions that get things by. The production is decent, with good use of stereo space. The master is certainly on the light side of things, and I'm happy for it to be boosted, though I'm also ok if it's not. A decent rendition overall.

YES

• Jivemaster changed the title to 2020/04/03 - (1Y/1?) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "The Beginning"
  • 3 weeks later...

This orchestration is pleasant, as always.  You've kept up source domination for a good 70% of the time, went through two variations with textural differences, and the expression on Steven's ocarina added some unique fluctuations that the original melody didn't have.  You even allowed him to develop on the writing part way through the second run-through (2:20) - very pleased about that.  However, I'm with Kris in saying that the extended ending felt unnecessary.  It doesn't call back to the source, and the second variation's dynamics were calmer anyway.  Since the source quota still checks out, I'll be okay with having it stay.

Addressing the presentation - I'm used to hearing quiet renders from you, but I find it peculiar that the volume levels remained below -5dB across the board but peaked close to -1db only on the right speaker.  Nevertheless, the delicacy served as enough to carry the soft tonal percussion forward, with all hits bringing such lovely expression forward.  You also thought wise to get two ocarina recordings an entire octave apart from each other, which negates the instrument's shrillness when used solo.  I'd also like a fix for a little pop at 0:26 on the right speaker, but it's masked so well into the percussion it's not that simple to spot.

This track has some minor flaws regarding the volume and the drawn-out ending, but everything else about the writing and technical side check out for me.  Good luck with the rest of the vote!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2020/04/03 - (2Y/1?) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "The Beginning"
  • 1 month later...

super-quiet master outside of one spot. this is comically quiet for at least 50% of the track. i can't see this being acceptable for any digital media source without compression being applied. this issue manifests right away with how much louder the ocarina is from everything else. ocarina's naturally such a quiet instrument that it sounds strange being so much louder than all these other instruments with a bigger timbre.

ocarina playing is superbly handled. excellent work. the tight ensemble voicing is really nice for that. volumization aside, the setting and spare nature of the soundscape is great as expected. the hard panning of the piano around 0:55 is a little disconcerting (i didn't notice it before that), but that may just be a headphone thing. i like the cluster pads in the background around 1:20, and the continued use of sparkling little blurbs in the backing instruments at seemingly random times is really nice from an arrangement perspective. 

the song is essentially done at 3:30, if not before, and the subsequent material doesn't really seem to serve a specific purpose within the scope of the arrangement. to be honest, i found separating the (interesting!) part at 3:00 from the main body of the arrangement to be suboptimal if not counterintuitive to the soundscape you were creating, so i'm really not a fan of the entire ending from about 2:55 onward. i don't consider it a dealbreaker by itself, but coupled with what sounds like a bad recording punch-in at 0:26 and the really striking lack of compression, i'm pretty torn about it as well. it's probably over the bar as-is but leaves so much on the table. a yes from me would require a volumization either way, though, so i'll call this a conditional on fixing the pop and applying compression, and hope that the ending gets a shrink gun pointed at it before it's posted.

CONDITIONAL (on compression add / fixing pop on re-render)

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/04/03 - (2Y/1C/1?) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "The Beginning"
  • 2 months later...

Really not much to add here. Would really like to hear a louder master, but if it came down to this or nothing I am OK with it.

Enjoying the very subtle take on this. The word delicate got used a lot by the other judges, and it really does fit the mix just right. The background sound effects (birds, etc) do make this feel like you're sitting in a small glade with some dappled sunshine on a lazy summer day. Being as it's currently January, this is a nice image, and I want it to be summer now.

YES

• DragonAvenger changed the title to 2020/04/03 - (3Y/1C/1?) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "The Beginning"

This is absolutely magical! The glassy, plucky soundscape gives this a very spritely feeling, and Steven's ocarina adds a central focal point to carry the track without being overly-dominant. I think you're at your best when you're working with this kind of palette, Rebecca!  

I'm happy to sign off on this unconditionally; if we can fix the pop in the render, cool, but if not, I think this is good to go anyway! I actually didn't have any issue with the volume level or compression and thought this was reasonably appropriate for the genre.

Well done, this one's a keeper for me!!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04402 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "The Beginning"
  • Liontamer pinned and locked this topic