OCR04362 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "Songs of Skies"

Emunator

This is the finale of my Skyward Sword Epic Orchestral Medley. You can hear the full medley here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxrdjX7Klcg There are many parts to it, but this excerpt just worked so well on its own that I figured I'd make it a standalone track. It combines the Isle of Songs and Island in the Sky themes. I also added in a little bit of Ballad of the Goddess. I call the track "Songs of Skies". The original SS OST was composed by Mahito Yokota, Hajime Wakai, Takeshi Hama and Koji Kondo.

Simple, effective.  The themes are interwoven so well it seems like they were once piece to begin with.  Despite being pretty minimal, and the instruments being pretty exposed, they don't sound overly fake.  And it's mastered much better than most of your arrangements.  Good stuff.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/09/28 - (1Y) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "Songs of Skies"

Small thing, but the production of the brief vocal cameo was pretty weak; sounded like a bad recording as the base. Conceptually, it was a nice idea, but it didn't sound like it shared the same soundscape the way it was produced.

The decay of the final note at 2:36 was too fast as well (also at :55), so it was a regretable ending to an otherwise quick but solid interpretation and blending of the themes. With more attention to detail work, this would be on stronger ground.

Nonetheless, a nice reorchestration of already orchestral set of sources!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2021/09/28 - (2Y) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "Songs of Skies"

still around 4db of headroom, but certainly less than in the past. progress!

there doesn't appear to be a real direction of this work. it's noodles on the melodic content for 2:30 and then it ends. there's no dynamic direction or obvious focus to it, which works for incidental music but not as well for standalone content. i also didn't like the vocals, poorly recorded as they were - they didn't fit in the soundscape at all. completely removing them would have been preferable.

the arrangement is great as expected. i liked the little wind chorale for a few seconds at 0:44 among other little moments that were really well-handled. i just wanted more dynamics.

this is of course above the bar.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/09/28 - (3Y) Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "Songs of Skies"

Those vocals caught me off guard! They could definitely be manipulated better, and that intake of breath at 1:38 is an odd way to introduce them. Although the execution wasn't great, it does add an extra point of interest to the piece, and puts me in mind of a track like Alone in Kyoto by Air. I'm pretty sure the processing on them is intentional, and I think expanding on that vocal idea and mixing them better could have been something extra special here. Perhaps something to experiment with in future.

Aside from that, it's a very pleasant journey through the themes. They sound like one cohesive piece together, although I'm finding myself agreeing with proph that I'd like some more obvious dynamics to it. I see it's taken from a larger piece though, so perhaps that explains it.

The sustain on the final note almost outstays its welcome, which I think I noticed in one of your previous submissions - obviously a stylistic choice there!

Nothing too flashy on show here, but an enjoyable journey nonetheless.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04362 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword "Songs of Skies"
  • Liontamer locked this topic