OCR04478 - *YES* Golden Sun "Isaac's Only Shot" *RESUB*

Emunator

Original Decision

THIS IS FROM THE ALBUM PROJECT "Golden Sun: A World Reignited" - Figured it was worth noting

• Your ReMixer name: Lucas Guimaraes
  • Your real name: Lucas Guimaraes
  • Your email address: 
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Golden Sun
  • Name of arrangement: Isaac's Only Shot
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Battle! Isaac

Feat: Gamer of the Winds, GuitarSVD, tibone, and StormSkuggan

BAHAHAHA My first ever resubmit! Though really, this was a lot of fun to do. Thanks to the helpful corrections in the judges forum we were able to get this out pretty quickly. We fixed up (almost) everything that we could without re-recording. Pretty sweet, yeah?

So a bit more about the track that I missed from my last rundown:

First, some credits.
Lucas Guimaraes - Arrangement, Drums
GuitarSVD - Classical Guitar
Gamer of the Winds - Flute
tibone - Electric Guitar, Bass
StormSkuggan - Synths, Mixing

I got something wrong in my post: StormSkuggan mixed. I had a lot of the initial work done, but Storm was the one that brought it home. It was a pleasure to work with him again for editing and I'm excited to see what music we all make in the future!

Initially, this was Moonbike's claim on the track. I started working with him on the last 2 months of the album. He ended up having to drop from the album altogether, so I took over. This, Mercury Lighthouse, and the finishing touches for Venus Lighthouse were in one of the busiest months of my life - Right when I finished graduate school. I was incredibly thankful for the people who came together at the last minute to put this iconic track together for the album. And the fact that I was able to revisit it a few years later... :) This arrangement is pretty simple, but it definitely goes a lot of places. I wanted to go in more of a hard rock direction, and this definitely succeeded at that. 80's hard rock, Spaghetti Western guitars, and a flute like Jethro Tull. What more could you ask for from a ReMix? A lot of my arrangements have definitely been on the slower side lately, but I definitely plan to keep making stuff that packs a punch like this.

These stems are mostly untouched from about 4(?) years ago. The original performances had some rough edges because we had little time between the completion of the arrangement to the album deadline.

The first is in the timing of the flute. Storm completely edited and nailed it on that one. The flute only appears for a short bit, but it was important for us to sell that bridge. I still can't express enough how much I appreciate him joining me on revisiting a mix from so long ago. The next is the tuning of the guitar. I handled most of the tuning by bringing the initial stems to Melodyne and tuning them up slightly. prophetik music can't go without being mentioned, though. I asked him for feedback, as he was one of the judges to vote no last time (I like to make my resubs one and done!) and he started typing out all the timestamps for me to fix the guitar solo. He realized quickly it'd be faster to do it himself, so he took the busy time out of his schedule and gave some fine tuning to the solo, mostly moving notes up or down a half step to fit the key (the 4th's and the 7th's, iirc). Yes, that does mean we have a stem that was melodyned twice. Modern tools are powerful.

With fan communities, I've been incredibly lucky to gain a bunch of amazing friends and mentors, and prophetik music is definitely up there for me with mentors. I know not everyone in the community is a fan of his posts, but he genuinely means well and he's just focused on lifting the music, and artists, up as possible. I really respect that and wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe one day I'll get to work with him proper on a track :)

I hope everyone enjoys! And while this is my first resubmit, it'll be far, far from my last. :)

I was borderline in favor of this track on the first go-around on the strength of the arrangement, quality of performances, and the clever way that the non-rock instrumentation was weaved into the arrangement. All of that is still present here, but the mixing is more well-rounded and beefs up the low end considerably without sacrificing any of the intensity of the rest of the mix. I'm glad that your last submission wasn't your only shot, eh?

Nice work Lucas!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/07/28 - (2Y) Golden Sun "Isaac's Only Shot"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

my original issues with this track stemmed around some of the live elements - weird notes in solos, significant timing issues, etc. - and some mastering elements. lucas also contacted me separately and we worked through some of the intonation and note choice issues.

my main issues with the performances - the timing of the flute in the bridge, the constant use of flat 7s and #4s in the guitar solo, and intonation issues - were all fixed. glad that my assistance there on the side was helpful. my other complaint - that the drums got drowned out on the big parts and the snare sounded odd - were also corrected or at least settled into the mix better.

this is a pass. thanks for the reworks.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/07/28 - (3Y) Golden Sun "Isaac's Only Shot"

Most of my issues were fixed as well. The odd notes all seem to have been addressed, and production is much better.

With those issues gone, I was able to finally put a finger on the other issues I was feeling but unable to articulate: it very much feels like the lead electric guitarist and keyboardist are mainly doing their own thing, kind of on autopilot, without a whole lot of changes in dynamics, and everyone else is just trying to fit in as best they can. Those two instruments are either on or off, with no interplay or consideration for the other parts.  It's not like they're clashing with anything per se, but they're not cooperating either — they're like the lead scorer on a sports team, where the coach told everyone else to just pass them the ball and stay out of their way.

That's absolutely not a dealbreaking issue, though, just something to bear in mind in the future. This checks all the boxes.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04478 - *YES* Golden Sun "Isaac's Only Shot" *RESUB*
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2023/07/28 - *YES* Golden Sun "Isaac's Only Shot" *RESUB*
  • Liontamer unpinned and locked this topic