OCR04601 - *YES* Super Smash Bros. Brawl "En Garde"

Liontamer

In my defense... I am putting in the effort to fix issues with these before submitting. Whoever mastered this album let the peaks go over 0dB :|

ReMixer name: ZackParrish
Email: 
User ID: 29013
Performers: My computer

Name of game: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Name of arrangement: En Garde
Name of song: Online Practice Stage
Composers: Not a clue who wrote this...
Comments: Took a 20 second loop and turned it into 3 minutes of ...whatever this is. Hodge podge of chip, guitars, trumpet and whatever else I used. I don't remember anything about producing it because it's been several years since then. Was part of the Harmony of Heroes album.

• 3 weeks later...

fun chippy opening. guitar and band comes in at 0:25, and goes through the initial loop. the bass and kick are sitting in the same range, so it feels extra boomy, but the guitar sounds nice and crisp. the trumpet comes in on the melodic content at 0:54, and through here the heavy bass and kick overlap is more noticeable. trumpet is sequenced nicely.

there's a break at 1:20 for some orchestral parts with more trumpet on top. this is a neat idea to try something different. after that, we're immediately back into the chiptune part on top of the band accompaniment - two simultaneous copypastas! not something i expected. there's more combinations of previously sequenced material layered in different combinations for the rest of the track, and then a filtered outro.

the heavy bass overlay in the first third or so and the last minute being copypasta isn't my favorite, but it's not enough to really sink this. the middle orchestral section is great and i found myself wishing there was more of that! this certainly isn't as fresh and across-the-board high quality like your more recent works, but i think this is fine.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/08/17 - (1Y) Super Smash Bros. Brawl "En Garde"

OK, I'm enjoying the silliness of the chiptune-style opening. The guitar sequencing so mechanical-sounding and exposed from :48-1:19; it's a pretty big quality disparity compared with other samples. Good new variations and original section as a break from the chips & beats until 1:50. Back to the chip lead at 1:50; I would have liked the chip writing and then the brass writing at 2:14 to not get cut-and-pasted like this, because it made the track feel underdeveloped and repetitive, when it would have been easy enough to provide writing variation of those leads somehow, rather than just interplay them with each other.

I do appreciate the transformation of what's there with this theme; fun energy, and the overall mixing sounded good. I may be pushing for a revision that can't happen given the age of the track. To secure my vote though, Zack, we've gotta improve the realism of the guitar from :48 and vary up the lead writing from 1:50-2:40 to meaningfully differentiate the writing and/or instrumentation there somehow.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/08/17 - (1Y/1N) Super Smash Bros. Brawl "En Garde"

I dig this - it's not the most ambitious arrangement and definitely feels like something that would play in a training arena before the actual big battle, but for what it is, it works! It makes me feel like the lack of more chiptune-hybrid arrangements like this in the actual Smash Bros soundtracks was a missed opportunity, because this would fit right at home in game.

I feel like the guitar is fine here - I think there's sufficient movement and articulation, the problem is just that the slides/fret noises on the guitar, where a lot of the movement seems to be happening, is masked out by the percussion so the dominant frequency cutting through is in the mids. Could be totally off base and maybe it is just sub-par samples/sequencing, but regardless, I didn't find that to be a terribly prominent aspect of the track in the first place so I'm fine signing off in spite of a (in my opinion) pretty mild shortcoming.

YES

• Emunator changed the title to 2023/08/17 - (2Y/1N) Super Smash Bros. Brawl "En Garde"
  • 2 weeks later...
  • MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/08/17 - (3Y/1N) Super Smash Bros. Brawl "En Garde"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

It's always hard to take a short source tune and flesh it out without sounding repetitive. I think the 2:50 running time of this ReMix, and the break in the middle just about does enough to stop it from being too repetitive, but that said, there are some nice flourishes in amongst the melody and different instrumentation to keep it interesting. Trumpet is fantastic - I mistook it for a live performance, and it's definitely the highlight! Excellent original break section from 1:20, would have been perfect for a more elaborate trumpet solo, but alas, I'll have to make do with what's there!

The initial presentation of the Spanish guitar is quite odd - something about the hard-panning on the rhythmic strumming and the way it blends with the percussion makes it sound like it's sitting in an odd sonic space. Could also be the way it's interacting with the triangle-wave bass, as it doesn't sound as strange when the chiptune elements are removed.

Overall though it's a decent package. I quite like the ending with the filtered reprise of the chiptune theme as well.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04601 - *YES* Super Smash Bros. Brawl "En Garde"
  • Liontamer unpinned and locked this topic