OCR04619 - *YES* Cuphead "Rib Eye Rodeo"

Liontamer

Main ReMixer name: TheManPF (User ID: 35318)
Additional artists: evilsonic; Ronin Op F; Zach Chapman; Ian Martyn; Newmajoe

Submission:

Game: Cuphead
Name of arrangement: Rib Eye Rodeo
Songs arranged: High-Noon Hoopla (https://youtu.be/w3ReqY8-QQU)
Original composer: Kristofer Maddigan
System: Windows; Xbox One; MacOS; Nintendo Switch; Playstation 4
Year: 2017

Comments:
Hell yeah we're doing Cuphead AGAIN, this time from the DLC, and the track I meant in my last submission as my actual favorite from the whole soundtrack. This arrangement was done as part of the Wild West month in Dwelling of Duels in June 2023, and got 1st place out of 25 tracks (my first gold!!).

The arrangement itself is very faithful, High-Noon Hoopla is already a very high-energy country song with lots of noodling, so I got a bunch of my buddies on board to rock hard on all of our instruments and bring the energy of the source up to 11. This one is more country rock, with a few changes in instrumentation (sax, melodica, distorted guitars, acoustic guitars) and a bunch of new solos and slightly different structure. Really, it's more of an excuse to get a bunch of very talented people to do what they do best.

Here in the team is evilsonic, who actually took a load off my shoulders and was in charge of the mix this time, he also played all of the acoustic guitar AND a slide guitar solo.

Ronin Op F did all of the insane violin playing in this track, seriously, it might be the hardest violin line he has ever played. He also of course improvised his own violin solo.

Zach Chapman played all of the bass, as he always does in my tracks.

Ian Martyn played piano, including, of course, a piano solo, as well as providing some YODELING that you hear in the intro and middle of the track.

Newmajoe added a bunch of stuff including sax solos, melodica embellishments, and extra vocal flairs.

I did the usual, arrangement, electric guitars, sequencing, no mixing this time, but I like to think of this one as a very group-focused effort, we like to call this group "Insane Cup Posse".

what a great original.

tempo's even faster, i think, and it's cooking with gas right off the bat. initial mix seems pretty heavy in the bass, to the point i can't really hear a kick. adding the electric along the band elements is a great addition, and the violin is really cooking throughout. there's a significant set of solos right off the bat, with the sax solos being the highlight for me. there's a recap around the 2:00 mark, a yodel break, and then the electric gets after it which is awesome. 2:59 is the first time the bass isn't playing sustains, and it is suddenly a lot lighter of a track. there's a big ensemble blow to finish it out with some particularly fresh violin and then it's done.

i'm honestly a bit conflicted about this one specifically because the bass presence is so heavy. the performances are excellent and full of fire, the arrangement is fine, and it's got actual yodeling on purpose! i think it's probably one i wouldn't want to keep from the community.

YES

edit 12/4: new mix is better! 

EXTRA YES

Edited by prophetik music

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/09/29 - (1Y) Cuphead "Rib Eye Rodeo"

Man oh man, this source tune is cool as fuck, I love it! :-D I'm insanely glad I heard this theme. Yeehaw!

Arrangement opens up super conservatively with some personalization, so we'll see if it branches off. Ah, here we go at :48, excellent. Great example of staying very melodically conservative, leaning into everything that makes the source tune fun, and seeing how different instrumentation and textures can help it stand apart from the original.

EDIT (12/3): Listened to the revised mix, didn't notice anything different. (Sammich is still back!)

McRIB is BACK!

McRib - Wikipedia

Edited by Liontamer
added updated comments

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/09/29 - (2Y) Cuphead "Rib Eye Rodeo"
  • 4 weeks later...

It's not often we get a remix that goes less off the rails than the original, but here we are. Quite conservative for a while. When other instruments get added in, it really does get quite heavy; I didn't understand what proph meant by that at first, but now I totally agree that it's the right word. The bass is so loud, so repetitive, and has so much presence that it's crushing everything else. Listen to 2:02-2:17 for a good illustration; the bass is so overwhelming that it's muffling the lead, even though most of the bass presence isn't even where the lead is. The climax (3:10+) is quite dense overall, not leaving the instruments any room to breathe at all.

That said, this is quite personalized, the performances are excellent, and it's just generally fun. The production bothers me enough that I wouldn't want to listen to it too many times in a row, but it's not enough to send this back over.

YES

Update 12/4: The new mix isn't worse. While the bass is not quite so heavy, the overall mix is still quite dense, with the ensemble leads especially sounding quite smushed. Still, it was a YES before and it's a YES now.

Edited by MindWanderer

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/09/29 - (3Y) Cuphead "Rib Eye Rodeo"

Fun little conservative arrangement, and some fantastic yodelling, to boot. Love this game and it's soundtrack, so it's always great to hear folk tackle it.

That bass, though... yeah, it is overpowering, and it's ever present from 0:16 onward. The mixing of that bass doesn't give any other instrument any room to breathe, so everything else in the mix gets drown behind it. Electronic music often has bass this loud, but it gets away with it by chaining it out of the way when necessary - in this track it is there at full force all the time. My ears actually started hurting by the end of it (not metaphorically, quite literally), and the track is only three minutes long.

The track would benefit massively by decreasing the levels of that bass guitar, and it'll allow the other instruments to be mixed in such a way that they don't have to fight for the little amount of space that there is. Bass consumes so much of the spectrum, so it's important it's handled very carefully in an arrangement.

EDIT (12/4): I think the bass is still a bit too strong, but this is certainly a significant improvement - more than enough to swing my vote. I won't let perfect be the enemy of great, here, since the arrangement is still great. Nice work on the fix!

YES

Edited by Gario

• Gario changed the title to 2023/09/29 - (3Y/1N) Cuphead "Rib Eye Rodeo"
  • 5 weeks later...

The quality of the arrangement and performances here is undeniable. I have to echo the issues brought by the rest of the judges panel though and call out some obvious balance issues with many of the leads being drowned out by the bass. A few key places where this stood out to me the most was the melodica/violin from :15-:48, the brass ensemble from :48-:55, and the guitar solo at 2:48, which feels like it's being crushed under the weight of the bass and the unrelenting snare writing. You've got some amazing performances and solos that I can barely hear. To be blunt, I think this needs another pass at mixing to really reach its potential.

This is a real close call - I usually skew on the side of "with something this full of good stuff, let's keep technical issues in perspective and not hold something flawed but ambitious back from the community" but in this case, I think some of those amazing things are actually being held back by the mix because of how inaudible they are. Think you guys could take a second stab at polishing this a little more?

NO

EDIT: Yeah, this is good now!

YES

Edited by Emunator

• Emunator changed the title to 2023/09/29 - (3Y/2N) Cuphead "Rib Eye Rodeo"
  • Emunator pinned this topic
  • Emunator changed the title to 2023/09/29 - (4Y/1N) Cuphead "Rib Eye Rodeo"
  • Gario changed the title to 2023/09/29 - (5Y) Cuphead "Rib Eye Rodeo"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04619 - *YES* Cuphead "Rib Eye Rodeo"
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic
  • Liontamer locked this topic