MnP 142 - Spooktober 3: Revenge of the Macabre

TheVideoGamer

Status of MnP  

8 members have voted

1. 1. MnP Participation is Dwindling, which is a little concerning to me. So i'm curious. Do you feel MnP works better when rounds are not fixed to a set date and time? Or are you happy as it is?

• MnP rounds should be on demand. If people are interested in remixing a MnP source, i will be the one to set up the round, as an when requested.
    • I'm fine with the current state of MnP. I'm happy with the idea of rounds be fixed to a date and time.
    • I'm undecided.

This poll is closed to new votes

The last round yielded no results. I tried to prolong this for as long as possible, but it seems nobody is interested, so i eventually decided to move on. This was meant to be on the 1st of October, but i had a lot of commitments on, and also, i was stubborn enough to give it one more shot in hopes of receiving any entries, but it wasn't meant to be. I've finally managed to get my act together and prepare the Halloween special. Better late than never.

As you may know, October time means it's Halloween! So it's time to do another one of our Halloween special rounds! As i did with the last round, this is gonna be completely different, and it's gonna be one hell of a show. Let's see what we have in store!

Ok so in this round you will be tasked in remixing any Halloween based theme from any SONIC or MARIO game. This can be in the form of a level, a boss theme or even a track that's not a stage theme, but plays a significant role in the game. To help you here's what i'm looking for:

1. Any musical piece that is a main proponent of any SONIC or MARIO Game, that is very spooky and embodies the themes and ideas of Halloween.
  2. The track must be a main part of the game. So no minor cutscene music, jingles, or small elements that don't make up the game.
  3. The music and the stage must be related to the concept of Halloween related items, like Ghost's and Vampires etc. I cannot accept normal video game music. It must be deliberately spooky.
  4. The track is an official part of the game, i won't accept Fan Hacks or Fan Made games.
  5. No crossover games. It's either a Mario source, or a Sonic source.

Any source from any genre, in any length is accepted. It just needs to be a Halloween type piece from a Sonic or Mario game.

These rules are there to ensure that this is a Halloween based round, and some user uploading a random Sonic remix, if you catch my drift. Halloween encompasses many ideas and traditions, so you will definately not be short on musical ideas.

Conditions in regards to submitting:

1. None of the rules in regards to source/remix selection apply here, since it's a Halloween round, however the standard uploading rules for ThaSauce (20mb size, MP3 etc...) remain as normal.
  2. You can remix more than one source in this round, but i will only accept a maximum of 3 submissions.
  3. This round and any other special rounds bares no relation to any of the sister compo's and/or it's affiliates (Such as PRC

And that's it really. I'm here for any questions you may have, and i'm willing to guide you into opening up your own creative ideas for this round. There will never be a limitation of the music you can make that is based off the wonderful traditions of Halloween. Good luck guys, and remember to have fun!

Here's a concrete list to any levels featured in the SONIC series:

https://info.sonicretro.org/Category:Levels_with_a_spooky/supernatural_theme

Here's a concrete list to any levels featured in the MARIO series:

https://mario.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Haunted-themed

MIDI files for Mario games:

https://themushroomkingdom.net/midi.shtml

MIDI files for Sonic games:

There isn't a database specifically for Sonic Games, but if you go to https://www.vgmusic.com/, find the video game system your game is from, and then scroll to your game you'll be able to find it. CTRL + F is also a good way to search for things.

Note: Make sure you write down the Game Name and the Source Name in the description so we know who did what. There is also no rules in regards to any duplicate sources. So i'm ok with 3 people doing the same source etc.

Because there were no submissions in the last round, Double Dose will not be applicable.

Deadline: 31st October @ 1PM

Closing Date: 2nd November @ 1PM

Vote Ends: 9th November @ 1PM

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

submit: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP142

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

Guidelines:

1. Modifying the Source is fine, so long as it doesn't sound completely separate from its original intent. 
  2. If you're gonna do a genre change, at least make sure the original aspect of the source is not lost.
  3. Tempo changes are fine, as long as it's not a big change. I'm talking like, going from 80bpm to 140bpm. 
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max), and submitted as a MP3 file.
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry. 
  6. Try to avoid making quality-based comments on submissions until after the Round is concluded.  It is to avoid a Bias in Votes.
  7. For this round you can remix more than one source. Do make sure you let me know which source(s) you've picked in the submission notes.

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make people's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Edited by TheVideoGamer

• TheVideoGamer changed the title to MnP 142 - Spooktober 3: Revenge of the Macabre
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 6:49 PM, Esperado said:

i could go either way, but i also havent submitted in a long time. im sad to see things have been tapering off. i wonder if its a forums things. people dont really use servers. is there a way to run this through the discord ?

Truth is, it's becoming a bit draining making rounds for what is gonna be no entries. I have a lot of stuff going on in the real world, and unless there was significant buzz, i feel like this is just getting popped up for the sake of it. So the poll i've made was kind of asking, if it's fine with the current format or if it's better on demand, and so far from the results, it's very likely it will be on demand. This means if you want to remix a video game source, you message me, and i will set up the round, compared to what it always has been, which is a round ever month. You could try the discord, but i think i'll just let it run it's course. It's been a fun couple of years running this, and even more fun participating when HoboKa was around. Maybe i just don't have the drive i used to, because of how many people are not entering. Thanks for the support anyways. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2023 at 5:54 AM, TheVideoGamer said:

Truth is, it's becoming a bit draining making rounds for what is gonna be no entries. I have a lot of stuff going on in the real world, and unless there was significant buzz, i feel like this is just getting popped up for the sake of it. So the poll i've made was kind of asking, if it's fine with the current format or if it's better on demand, and so far from the results, it's very likely it will be on demand. This means if you want to remix a video game source, you message me, and i will set up the round, compared to what it always has been, which is a round ever month. You could try the discord, but i think i'll just let it run it's course. It's been a fun couple of years running this, and even more fun participating when HoboKa was around. Maybe i just don't have the drive i used to, because of how many people are not entering. Thanks for the support anyways. 

The feeling is mutual. Yeah, not really feeling it either. If it's time for PRC and MNP to pass on into the ether, then it's time. Pretty burnt out myself on the compo hosting thing, so I know how that feels heh. Thanks for filling in for me TVG - and whatever happens, happens - as they say. Cheers~

Edited by HoboKa

42 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

The feeling is mutual. Yeah, not really feeling it either. If it's time for PRC and MNP to pass on into the ether, then it's time. Pretty burnt out myself on the compo hosting thing, so I know how that feels heh. Thanks for filling in for me TVG - and whatever happens, happens - as they say. Cheers~

If i had like 4 participants then sure, this wouldn't be needed. But everyday i look at this and think to myself. "Why am i doing this if nobody is gonna show up?". I tried to hold out, but in the end, i said sod it, and made the decision to pull the plug. 

By the way the poll isn't saying should MnP be gone for good. It's saying, if an On Demand model is better than the current model. Basically if you want to remix a VG Source, you message me, and i get the round up for you. That's basically it. So you'll still have the opportunity to make a MnP round, it just won't be regularly. 

Thanks for the support man, you've been amazing, i really appreciate it. Here's to the future.

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 3 entries this round.
  • There is 0 Bonus entry(s) this round
  • There IS no voter bonus this round!
  • Nobody has a vote worth 2x. 
  • When Voting, if possible, avoid granting 1:1 covers top spot.  MnP requires a bit of remixage after all.  
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please. 
  • Do let me know if you have problems voting, and we can sort something out.
  • Try and not make any comments about each entrant until after voting has concluded. Thanks!
  • Participants may not vote for themselves.  
  • The winner of this round is determined by the status of the compo's future. Stick around for that!

Vote ends 14th November 1PM.  

Vote here: https://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP142

Results

• In 1st place with 6 points: TheVideoGamer (Me)
  • In 2nd place with 4 points: Lunarice
  • And the last place hero with 2 points: JH Sounds

Unfortunately even though i've won, i'm afraid this is the end. If you want to know what i mean, then stick around for the poll results. Congrats to everyone who has participated, i'm glad people actually showed up, even if it's on the last round. I'm also glad we had votes in, even though it took a month or two. It's been great fun. It's time to move onto the poll.

So here is the poll results.

• Roughly 62.5 percent of you guys like the On Demand model. 
  • Around 25 percent want this to remain the same.
  • And around 12.5 percent were a bit undecided.

So it brings me unfortunate (Or fortunate depending on your stance on this) news to announce that MnP is NOW A ON DEMAND MODEL. This has been officially the last regularly scheduled MnP round. 

What is an On Demand model then?

Well the concept of On Demand in this case, is that should you feel the urge to remix a Video Game source, especially within the realms of MnP, you will private message me, either on this website, or on ThaSauce's discord (Which should be on Compo.ThaSauce's website i believe) requesting a round to be set up. 

In order for the compo round to be active, i will require sufficient participation in order for the round to go ahead. A BARE MINIMUM, OF 2 OR MORE. Once the round is up, you will follow the MnP timeframe of a Month to submit, and a week to vote. If it's just you, and nobody else, then i'm afraid it will not go ahead.

What would be the most Ideal is 3 or more participants, because then it feels like a round is forming, but at the moment, you only need two.

There will be no limits on source selection, but should you go with a Source, it must have at least a video and a MIDI for ease of use, but at this point i assume most people would be familiar with that.

I will participate in a round as and when it peaks my interest, and all users are invited to do the same, but this will only be on the basis that somebody has requested a round to be setup.

FROM NOW, THERE WILL BE NO REGULARLY MONTHLY MNP ROUNDS. SO ANY INTEREST IN REMIXING VGM MUSIC WILL BE FORMED BY THE INTEREST OF A FEW USERS, NOT BY ME.

It is sad to see this die out, but the truth is, i am getting tired.

If a lot of people were giving this the Buzz it deserved, then sure, this might encourage me to upload more rounds, but nobody is showing interest, and for me to make a round and have a month of submitting and voting, as well as all the unnescary extensions, was just draining me. People have said, about advertising this elsewhere, but truthfully, i'm done. The lack of participants, especially in the last 5 rounds, has prevented any excitement or drive of me continuing this. 

So the sad reality, and unfortunate truth is, i've pulled the plug.

Edited by TheVideoGamer

I started taking the reins from HoboKa in around the 2nd of March 2021. So that would be roughly 2 years and 8 months. That is a long time. 

Were taking 3 UK prime ministers tenure in office lol.

I have been participating in this site, since June 2018. My first ever Video Game remixing competition was PRC, where i submitted an Outrun remix on August 30th 2018. My first MnP remix was on 22nd October 2018. So my affiliation with the community has been pretty huge. I've ran this for over 2 years, and participated in this for 5 years. 5 Years is pretty insane. So i have been fully active in both compo's, and honestly with the amount of time i've spent on here, i am a little sad to see this go. I met a lot of cool people here, heard a lot of weird and wonderful Video Game remixes, as well as looked at all the amazing feedback spent on here. 

It's been great knowing i had a community of like minded people, sharing their love for VGM as much as me. I also appreciate how many were accepting of some of my unorthodox VG sources, but i wanted to showcase diversity in a compo round. As much as Final Fantasy, Mario, Pokemon have such incredible music, i felt they were hogging the spotlight, so my weird source choices, were a reflection of my eclectic ideas. 

So knowing how much i had developed a community and now seeing it go is tough....

But i care a lot about my health too, and being drained making rounds for no entries, is pretty hard on me i'm not gonna lie. Especially when i have a life too.

So the decision to pull the plug, if i'm gonna be real is the for the benefit of everyone, no matter how hard it is.

The good news is that MnP isn't gone for good. It just means the concept of Monthly rounds is a thing of the past. So in the future, it could be the case that we have a 10 month waiting period, before we finally get another MnP round. Hell it could even take 3 years. The world is your oyster. So i will be here to basically do any of the admin work, but ultimately it will be you to decide on what source to use, and when. The only conditions required, is a Video and a MIDI. (Along side the super obvious ones, like Name and Game etc...) All ThaSauce uploading rules still apply, MnP rules still apply (Except for the 6th Gen Rule and the last rule, which for some stupid reason i keep forgetting to change on a round to round basis. When there is a special round, it usually means you can upload more than one source, when there is a normal round, that rule is gone). It seems more complex than it really is, so i hope you just trust my gut.

At this point i don't know what else to say, i feel like i've exhausted all possibly gratitude for the wonders of hosting this amazing compo, and as much as it's sad to see it go, it was a choice i needed to make.

So i would like to extend a couple thanks to the people on here. I know it's cheesy, but for all we know this could be the last time i ever see you all:

1. HoboKa - For having my back, showing me the ropes, and just being and extremely supportive dude. I love your there to back me up if there is a problem, it was great working with you. You are just really great in adjusting me to compo life. It's been great talking and working with you.

2. Bundeslang - For not only also having my back, but being a great backup option, if i wasn't there for a round. You are also very understanding, and really great at providing advice.

3. Souperion and Wassup Thunder - For essentially preventing the rounds from having no entries lol. For the most part, you made up for the lack of participation. Thanks for that.

4. HarlemHeat360, Hleet and APZX - For also being very active in compo, and again making up for the lack of participation. You guys are highlighted, because you were the probably the 2nd most active participants (Behind Souperion and Wassup Thunder) in this compo, preventing any chances that MnP would be gone for good. 

5. The Participants - AKA any other participant who isn't mentioned. Basically you were responsible for prolonging as much of the MnP life as humanly possible. If there was ever a worry the round would be empty, you were there to fill it.

6. And lastly anyone else who isn't mentioned overall, thank you. Even you over there Bob. I don't even know you, but thank you anyways lol.

I know it's silly saying this, but you guys really did make it. 

Anyway's i've said all that is needed to be said. This has been exhausted for long enough.

So thanks for everything once again, and i will look forward to the future. See you around!

TLDR: MnP Is now On Demand. If you want a round set up, message me with the source, and i will do so. Minimum 2 participants or more to enter. Thanks!

Edited by TheVideoGamer