Xbox 360

The Damned

In other news, select games are available to play over live for free in the month of December. Titles include Aegis Wing and Uno. For silver members like me, this is something to be excited about.

The complete list:

• A Kingdom for Keflings
  • Aegis Wing
  • Bomberman Live
  • Hardwood Hearts
  • Hardwood Spades
  • UNO
  • Small Arms
  • Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.

If I had known about this earlier, I'd have held off on getting a gold account for another month, since the only game I'm playing online is SF II (for now anyway).

Just got the Red Ring of Death. I thought it was worth mentioning. Not a moment too soon either. The three-year warrantee was about to run out.

Same, Microsoft was really good about it though! They are sending UPS to pick it up, take it to germany, and bring it back like new all for free. The three year warranty since production was out too but I bought it late so they were nice. Sometimes, M$ are ok.

Okay, so I know I'm like lulz way behind the times and all that, but I downloaded the Mirror's Edge demo off XBL last night. I played around with it for a while, and while it was pretty neat, I can't help but feel like it was disappointingly linear. The whole thing is supposed to be about the freedom and expansiveness of leaping from rooftop to rooftop, isn't it? It creates that illusion very well, but the actual gameplay is fairly linear from what I can tell. There's a distinct point A to start at and point B to finish with -- which is fine -- but there's also a well-laid track to follow to get from point A to point B, which sort of defeats the purpose.

Am I wrong? Is the demo misleading? Or is the gameplay really as linear as it seems to be?

I would also seriously hope that there's some sort of "free run" mode in the full game. While mission-based gameplay is fine, there really should be some way to just explore the game environment without getting shot to death by irate guards or having someone yelling about mission objectives in your ear -- especially for a game like Mirror's Edge. If there really is nothing but the story mode and a time trial mode (which is what seemed to be the case from the demo's menu screen) then it would be very, very sad.

You can experiment a bit more with different ways to parkour your way through in Mirror's Edge, but it is a bit linear in some ways. It gets really free-for-all-like in speedruns. Don't expect total freedom. That's not exactly the ideal they reached yet. It sorta comes close, but mostly with all the running through the stages part.

Well, the thing is that I can imagine the game being really fun if they give you the freedom to choose your own path, but from the demo it seems to be all spelled out point A -> point B -> point C like "wallrun across this billboard, slide under these pipes, jump off this part of the building, grab this pipe on another building etc etc in order and without pausing or else you lose momentum and get shot/miss the next part of the level/fall of the building and die."

One thing I will give them props for regardless of anything else, though, is having a futuristic dystopia that's none the less bright and clean-looking. I mean, I enjoy rust and grime as much as the next guy, but it's good to see a dystopia that didn't fire all their janitors first thing.

So I've been playing Fallout 3 on my 360 and it was freezing sometimes when I played. It was extremely annoying and when I got the RRoD, I figured the freezing was because of that. It had happened with a few other games as well (Guitar Hero 3, Oblivion).

But now I'm playing on my roommate's Xbox 360 and Fallout 3 still has issues with freezing. No other game does this on his console, and I'd hate to think that the RRoD is creeping up on his system as well.

So the question is, has anyone else experienced freezing with Fallout 3 that hasn't gotten a ring of death?

So I've been playing Fallout 3 on my 360 and it was freezing sometimes when I played. It was extremely annoying and when I got the RRoD, I figured the freezing was because of that. It had happened with a few other games as well (Guitar Hero 3, Oblivion).

But now I'm playing on my roommate's Xbox 360 and Fallout 3 still has issues with freezing. No other game does this on his console, and I'd hate to think that the RRoD is creeping up on his system as well.

So the question is, has anyone else experienced freezing with Fallout 3 that hasn't gotten a ring of death?

Never had a freeze, just a few bugs from what I remember. I got RRoD though :tomatoface: life's hard

Sup guys. I'm working on finalizing a deal with a group working on an XBL Community Game also. Should be rad. :)

OCR INVASION!

Congrats man! Time to show them what we're made of ;)

I've just started to work on a new XNA game too. We'll see how it turns out, haven't got any artwork yet so I'm running around in the dark so to speak..

Since not too long ago we were on the topic of the illusion of freedom, let me bitch and moan about the COD games, especially anything on Veteran difficulty. Now, I don't mind the fact that a couple quick shots and I'm dead, or if I pop my head up I'll get hit and have to sit back for a second while my health regenerates. No, that's fine.

What I hate is how when you play it on Veteran (it applies to every difficulty, but Veteran is obviously the most frustrating), it makes the game extremely linear. We all know the concept is that you have to move to an objective, and the enemy AI will re-spawn forever unless YOU the super war hero moves to a certain point and trigger your AI allies to move up, thus helping eliminate the bad guys and secure a checkpoint.

That's great and all, since the essence of the battle is to clear an area/building, or take a defense line, and nobody wins wars by sitting around, but how about giving us more than a single way of getting to that objective. Discover an effective way to flank the enemy? Better hope the game is programmed to allow you to go that way. If not, be prepared to see roughly 50 grenades magically appear at your feet, thus putting indicators at every conceivable angle, or better yet get hit from absolutely nowhere. This happens a lot when you stay back and not move up after a while too.

COD4 was tough, but World at War is even more ridiculous with this MO. I don't mind realistic health and damage, and cunning AI, but don't get cheap if I happen to find a way to win the battle other than the one you wanted me to do.

My reactions on World at War are mixed.

For the campaign, some missions really make you feel like you're playing the first three Call of Dutys. Specifically the Eastern Front missions (Ah great, I'm a Russian sniper in Stalingrad, oh, now I'm driving a tank). On the flip side though, some missions are fresh, thanks to the inclusion of the Pacific Campaign. Running around the tall grass of Okinawa with a flame thrower fending off Bonzai attacks is pretty fun.

Also, there's one mission called "Black Cats" where you're a Navy guy on a PBY Catalina, raiding a convoy and defending a fleet against Japanese Zeros...which is by far one of my favorite missions of any COD game.

I love the music in the game, it can go from fairly low key orchestra (what you'd expect in a WWII game), to this fusion of rock and more tense orchestra with vocals. Sounds weird but it's awesome, especially in the last couple missions when you're storming the Reichstag (if anyone remembers the first COD, you storm it as well, but I'd have to say this one is ten times better).

Multiplayer is exactly like COD4, but WWII. I would even say it feels like a WWII mod for COD4. Co-op campaign is pretty cool, and I'm sure you've heard of Nazi Zombie mode, unlocked after complete the campaign. It's basically like horde mode in GOW2, with a few slight differences. Pretty fun to play IMO.

Overall I'd say it's a good game, with some fairly repetitive COD1-3 missions, but also a few jewels thrown in there as well. If you're REALLY sick of the WWII period, it might now be for you, but it's still worth a play.

Bethesda just announce some new DLC for Fallout 3...and I'm ridiculously excited.

Operation Anchorage - the first of three planned DLC packs for the game - is set in the game's "distant past", with players able to access a dusty old military simulator that "teleports" you into a battle against the Chinese army, in the days before the a-bombs started falling.

The second, called The Pitt, takes players to Pittsburgh, a city that while still in a state of disrepair, never took a bomb or three like DC did.

The third, "Broken Steel", is mentioned only briefly, and will bring increases to level caps, new bad guys and new perks.

I'm mostly excited since I live in Pittsburgh, and I'm looking forward to walking around my real life apartment and stuff in the Fallout 3 world. :-P

Bethesda just announce some new DLC for Fallout 3...and I'm ridiculously excited.

Operation Anchorage - the first of three planned DLC packs for the game - is set in the game's "distant past", with players able to access a dusty old military simulator that "teleports" you into a battle against the Chinese army, in the days before the a-bombs started falling.

The second, called The Pitt, takes players to Pittsburgh, a city that while still in a state of disrepair, never took a bomb or three like DC did.

The third, "Broken Steel", is mentioned only briefly, and will bring increases to level caps, new bad guys and new perks.

I'm mostly excited since I live in Pittsburgh, and I'm looking forward to walking around my real life apartment and stuff in the Fallout 3 world. :-P

I'm just sad that sony decided to not fight for dlc for the ps3...damn microsoft! i'm just too poor to afford a 360 anytime in the near future