Wanted: music for gymnastics routines

Geoffrey Taucer

Gymnastics competition season starts in a few months, which means I need music for my girls to do floor routines to. That's where you guys come in (I hope)!

If you would like to try your hand at writing or remixing music for gymnastics routines, send it my way. If we end up using it, I'll send you a video of the routine (provided it's ok with the kid in question and her parents)

Here are the general requirements:

-Must be between 50 and 90 seconds. Because it will be short, it should get straight to the point early in the song

-Needs to be energetic, but not overly frantic (ie no death metal, DnB, etc)

-Needs a brief (10 seconds or so) somewhat quiter/slower/less energetic section somewhere in the middle. I'm not looking for a complete dropout to a slow part, just a slight drop in energy.

-Needs a sudden, dramatic ending

-Absolutely no vocals, or anything that could possibly be interpereted as vocals (choir synths, voice samples, shouts, etc).

-Shouldn't be anything too overly abstract; it needs to be something that can be appreciated by your average joe (or Joanne, as the case may be)

-I'll need tracks for the upper-level girls by the end of August.

Here are the specific girls/groups I need music for:

ROOKIES: (younger, lower-level girls. I'd need the tracks by November)

-Should be cute, happy, bouncy. Last year I used the Dr. Mario theme from Smash Bros Melee.

-Maximum 60 seconds in length

NOVICES, PREP-1s: (mid-level, ages 7 to about 14. Tracks needed by nov)

-No specific guidelines for this group aside from the general guidelines above. Songs we've used in the past include Calamitous Judgement by Zircon, Fuego by Bond, Christmas in Sarajevo by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, I Love Rock and Roll, the Pirates of the Carribean, and Splish Splash, Takin' a Bath.

-Maximum 60 seconds in length

If you have a track you want me to use or if you have any questions, feel free to contact me or just post here. And of course, if you need a guitarist, I'd be happy to pitch in and help (assuming I can play the part, and can find time to record)

The highest level girls at my gym competed level 8 last year. It hasn't been decided yet which (if any) will do 8 for another year, and which (if any) will move up to 9.

On the girls side I mostly work with the level 4 and 5 girls, though I coach the entire boys' team (which currently includes levels 4-8 ).

• 8 months later...

Specific needs have changed, and I probably have all the music I need already (and if we need anything we don't already have, I'll just record it myself; already did that for one of my girls -- she's doing a routine to a cover of Ken's Theme from SSF2)

I guess I'm always happy to hear more ideas, though. If you have music you think would work, send it my way.

Specific needs have changed, and I probably have all the music I need already (and if we need anything we don't already have, I'll just record it myself; already did that for one of my girls -- she's doing a routine to a cover of Ken's Theme from SSF2)

I guess I'm always happy to hear more ideas, though. If you have music you think would work, send it my way.

Are you talking money? I don't pitch anything unless it's a system of voluntary exchange.

I didn't get your PM. Try sending again.

If you give me an original piece that I end up using as routine music, I'll see what I can do about getting you money for it.

In all likelyhood, however, I won't need any more music than what I already have. This topic is two years old.

Heh, ok, that's fine. I didn't mean to sound greedy or anything. The reason why I prefer to distribute for money is because I have been duped twice over something like this (it involved a talent show, not a gymnastics competition).