*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Purgatory'

JJT

Fellow judgez,

My contribution to the Bad Dudes Halloween EP. The reinterpretation factor is below my normal standard, but I think this is still passable. Some of you may disagree. Listen to your heart. Also, don't listen to anyone who edits my posts (i.e. larry)

The usual:

Game: Chrono Trigger

Song: Brink of Time

Remix: Purgatory

Linkage:

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Brink of Time" (ct-213.spc)

Melodically, it plays it extremely straight aside from some embellishments here and there. The weird piano sounds and various effects on top do a nice job of enhancing the atmosphere within this Halloween context. Up to 1:45 I didn't hear anything truly interpretive with the melody. 1:46 added a lot more eerie material in the form of sprinkled piano notes and hands running across the actual piano strings. Still held the same amount of arrangement interpretation, i.e. not much. Straight up weird effects from 2:27 until the end, making for an apropo close.

Admittedly according to Jon, one of his more conservative takes, I'd really like to see what he could do with more time if more interpretive ideas were coming to mind with "Brink of Time". As there aren't really many components to the original, I would have loved to have heard the melody or counter-melody experimented with. Me and Jon talked about how the added ideas of the stray piano notes and string runs have to be forced to some extent, but overall I thought they fit the mood well and didn't sound overdone, though others are prone to disagree. Cool piece in-and-of-itself, but not a pass IMO.

NO

This is a tough one. Some parts are almost verbatim from the source, but it turns into a fairly nice additive arrangement from about the halfway point. I think the standards pretty much dictate that this one is too close to the original though unfortunately. I'm still your friend, Jon. I just think you could probably be more interpretive in the main section. Maybe switching things up a little bit every now and then. This would so be a definite yes at that point.

I'm gonna go with a RESUBMIT.

The stereo image threw me off guard at first, being pretty much mono at the beginning, and only expanding later. I would have preferred more consistency, but I can appreciate the creative effect. I do think the bass freqs were a little lacking (on the main piano, not the prepared FX) compared to the clear and detailed

highs. Some simple bass expansion would fix this easily. The audio fidelity in general was good, as was the creative performance and execution.

In terms of arrangement, I do hear a certain degree of arrangement (sounds like the chords were spruced up, besides the periodic additive elements) but I agree with Larry that it is not quite enough. At some point I think it would be cool to hear an expanded version. I could imagine that after the ending of this, there

could be another minute or two of more heavily interpreted material. Of course, I understand this was made under time constraints.

I would genuinely like to hear a fully fleshed out resub of this.

NO