"Babel: A Prison of Fate" -

bustatunez

Wilbert Roget, II

wilbert@rogetmusic.com

www.rogetmusic.com

u=14285

Xenogears

"Omen"

Comments: "I actually recorded this shortly after the 2007 OCR meetup in D.C., and just never got around to finalizing/submitting until now. That factoid is relevant because it wasn't until that meetup that I realized some people might actually *want* to hear my random and overly-aggressive piano playing! Anyways, I hope you all enjoy it, it's my first "solo" remix project and I'm still getting a feel for things."

Wilbert Roget, II

www.rogetmusic.com

Fantastic mix! I'm glad Will subbed it. Production and especially performance are both excellent; the playing is really expressive, which really brings out the emotion in the arrangement. The interpretation of the source incorporates some nice variation and original writing. It's possible others will NO this for being too close to the source, as it does constantly have the harp riff melody from "Omen" without a lot of change. However, I think the rest of the writing around that element makes up for it, and the mix doesn't extend far enough for repetition to be an issue.

YES

Nice piece, Wilbert. I love your use of the sustain to create some beautiful, complex sounds from the melody. You can listen to any one moment of the song and hear some gorgeous chords gently dissipating underneath the main melody. I also love the difference in tone you get from the quiet parts vs. the louder parts. Combined with the subtle but interesting changes to the melody, chords, and rhythm, this really has a lot of depth.

YES

Fedora Roget in: A Prison of Fate

by Jon Titterington

INT. APT BUILDING - NIGHT

FEDORA ROGET (24) sits at a digital piano, pounding out a Xenogears arrangement. Light from a streetlamp shines through window blinds, casting a shadow across his back. A JUDGE, obscured by shadow, leans against the opposite wall smoking a cigarette.

JUDGE

This is pretty good. There's no substitute for an acoustic piano though. As emotive as the performance is, I can't help dwelling on how synthetic it feels when compared to the real thing.

FEDORA ROGET

What, so you're gonna NO this?

JUDGE

I didn't say that. I'm just making a tired point.

FEDORA ROGET

I don't have time for this.

JUDGE

(chuckling)

Alright kid, have it your way. You've got my seal of approval. The pretzel will be pleased.

FEDORA ROGET

Good. Now get the hell out.

JUDGE

(turning to leave)

Sure thing. I've gotta ask though, was anyone with you the night Donna died?

FEDORA ROGET

(guarded)

No. I was doing field work.

JUDGE

Great. On my way over, I went ahead and stuck her body in your trunk. Work on that alibi before the cops get here.

A wail of police sirens is heard in the distance. Roget throws his piano bench across the room and pulls a .44 from his shoulder holster, leveling it at the Judge.

FEDORA ROGET

(livid)

BASTARD! You think you're gonna get away with this?

JUDGE

(smiling)

YES

• 3 weeks later...

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Xenogears_psf.rar - 215 "Omen"

Man, this sounded like all the highs got cut with extreme prejudice, so I don't see how the production was excellent. If anything, it undermined the nice ambiance generated by the chords here, as Palpable mentioned. Otherwise, solid stuff, IMO. Already passed, but I've been busy lately and don't want to let anything go without a comment. Keep submitting more stuff, Will!

YES