OCR02198 - *YES* Pokémon Red Version 'Drowning Blue'

DragonAvenger

remixer = chthonic

game = pokemon r/b/y

songs = ss anne, pokemon center

featured on Pokemon: the Missingno Tracks remix album

when I found out the pokemon project was basically accepting any and all pokemon remixes, I had to jump on it. I have always loved the ss anne music, and I think it is probably one of the more memorable tracks from the OST (considering how much time one could potentially spend on the damn boat). as always, I basically had no plan at all when I started this mix, and I just let my natural memory of the theme guide the arrangement. clarinet, banjo, chiptunes, and a whole lot of pop-rock inspired chord changes are crammed into a fairly short time span, and I think it works pretty well. you could say it's a "concept" mix of sorts because the ending is designed to give the feeling of sinking/drowning, though that may be a stretch :P

-------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MeE__KUVoo - SS Anne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KndNS2H8yGA - Pokemon Center

The arrangement is great, no qualms with that.

Except that creepy as heck ending. Seriously, dude.

Also, I'd have liked the overall sounds to be a bit more realistic and somewhat mechanical, but I think what you have compliments everything well, so it works as is. Not sure if other judges will have an issue with them.

(ending is still creepy)

YES

Really nice chip sound here, it's clean and a little heavily compressed, but overall has a nice sound, and a lot of strong rhythmic interest, and a really nice melody. These is plenty going on throughout, and the sections are well-linked, but varied. You even make some cool sounding stuff with some pretty weak samples, which is pretty cool.

Production could be a little better overall, with the reduction of the compression, but I think the arrangement is strong enough that this will pass pretty easily.

Yes

• 1 month later...

Hmm.

On one hand, it's chthonic. On the other hand, it's Pokemon.

On one hand, the processing and production are tight. On the other hand, the composition is cheesy as hell, and not at all memorable.

On one hand, the arrangement does a great job with the source material. On the other hand, the source material is Pokemon.

You can see the bind I'm in. I guess this fits in with the pop paradigm that you don't need a good song or an interesting melody if you've got a beat that bangs and a mix with lots of ear candy.

Sigh. YES

EDIT: NO! NO NO NO NO NO! I refuse to concede this point! I will stand by my principles! Chthonic, you're really talented and everything, but the song you chose to remix has absolutely no redeeming qualities. You have polished a turd. This track is enjoyable for no reason besides your own production talents. I could burp out the first two bar melody that came to mind and you could remix it with equal if not greater success. I just listened to your remix twice and the only thing I remember about it is the sonic textures. It's not your fault that the composition is utterly forgettable, but I don't feel like we should let slide the compositional shortcomings because you've managed to quite impressively turn a completely forgettable song into a really slick-sounding remix of a completely forgettable song.

This is like a painter paining a square: I know it's really difficult to paint a perfect square freehand and it's impressive that you did it, but I really don't need to sit around staring at your square.

PS I feel okay taking this small stand because I know this thing is going to pass anyway. No hard feelings.

the song you chose to remix has absolutely no redeeming qualities. You have polished a turd. This track is enjoyable for no reason besides your own production talents. I could burp out the first two bar melody that came to mind and you could remix it with equal if not greater success. I just listened to your remix twice and the only thing I remember about it is the sonic textures. It's not your fault that the composition is utterly forgettable, but I don't feel like we should let slide the compositional shortcomings because you've managed to quite impressively turn a completely forgettable song into a really slick-sounding remix of a completely forgettable song.

I'm not a Pokemanz fan, but the soundtracks have hooks. Because Vig's too blinded by "eww, Pokemanz" hate to make a fair vote, I'll just say YES, you're deaf, dumb AND an old fart beyond your years in order to close this out. :lol: