OCR02409 - *YES* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 'Jammin' with My NES'

DragonAvenger

Remix Title: Jammin' with my NES

Remixer Name: Shnabubula

Songs Remixed: Underwater from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (diffuse the bomb level)

SO yeah, please don't give this a form letter, it's not JUST the NES. Personally I believe writing music for the 2a03 [NES 5 channels.. no expansions] is every bit as deep in terms of production as it is in composition.

The argument that pure NES chiptunes should be rejected because they have zero production value shows a lack of understanding of a HUGE amount of music... not only that, it shames the pioneers who

developed some of the techniques we chiptune artists study and use, Tim Follin for example. The heroes who wrote the very music Overclocked ReMix's mission statement is claiming to want held on the same level as all other forms of music.

To dismiss all NES chiptunes as having zero production, means that aside from the notes chosen, they are all alike. Mario Bros. Level 1 (

) and The title screen solstice (
)... one and the same. THAT is deeply disrepectful of the heritage of game music.

ANYWAY... that's not why we're here, this song is formed around Live Piano.. the NES is only half the equation, and I recorded the out put of the 2 squares individually the NES and panned them apart therefore, adding further "production" value.

I understand this won't be an easy decision as it is 50% chiptune and 50% acoustic, which in itself might be deemed reason for rejection, mixing of two possibly incompatible pallets. But great care was taken to create synnergy between the two

timbres, both in the composition and the production, from the EQing of the piano, to the utterly detailed and intricate process of programming of the 2a03.

If by some miracle this manages to make it onto the site, I ask that it take the place of Trigger Please in the queue so that it can be posted when the album is released, that should be some time in March.

Thank you for your patience in reading this and hopefully giving this mix a chance.

----------------

Pardon my brevity but I can't see any reason why this wouldn't pass. This is friggin' sweet, the performances are spot-on and the soundscape is very innovative and clicks a LOT better than I could have ever expected from reading the sub letter. Source usage sounds fine to me, it's always there even if it's just a background arp playing while Sam's doing his own thing on the piano. This is probably the easiest call I've had to make in my time as a judge.

YES

I understand this won't be an easy decision as it is 50% chiptune and 50% acoustic, which in itself might be deemed reason for rejection, mixing of two possibly incompatible pallets. But great care was taken to create synnergy between the two

timbres, both in the composition and the production, from the EQing of the piano, to the utterly detailed and intricate process of programming of the 2a03.

If by some miracle this manages to make it onto the site...

:lol: This is fine, Sam. The issue with chiptune tracks is when it's only chiptune sounds with little to no other instrumentation or production techniques involved, which is why "Figaro Chiptune" and "Espergirl 2A03" didn't make it, while "Dueling Consoles" and Mazedude's "See Sixty Funk" did.

That's not a personal hangup of mine, but that's been the lay of the land from djpretzel as far as wanting OCR to be a place where more modern production techniques are used, and not to allow what are essentially MIDI or chiptune format songs.

Using chiptune sounds is fine as long as there's more to the track than that, as halc, Benjamin Briggs, PROTO·DOME, AeroZ, and a LOT of others have shown: http://ocremix.org/forums/tags.php?tag=chiptune

Since the piano was substantially incorporated as well, this had, IMO, no issues as far as bumping up against the standards.

On the production side, I thought the piano levels were too low, not because it needed to be louder than the chip stuff, but because it was too quiet compared to the chip sounds, somewhat undermining the great interplay of both parts. So I would have tweaked the balance a bit, but no big deal.

That said, this was still an excellent arrangement, with the piano really giving off a different, refined feel to the source tune, and some really creative 2A03 sound choices. Keep 'em coming!

YES