332 replies to this topic

#321 Moguta

Moguta

Abobo (+450)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

Honestly, the Extended Cut seemed mixed to me. Overall, I appreciated it, but (highlight for SPOILERS)

I was incredibly disappointed at how late in the ending it kicked in. One of the things that bothered me most was no matter the size or composition of Hammer, the last mission plays out *exactly* the same. Whether it's 50% or 25% of Hammer that reports in, whether you have Krogan, Geth, Quarians, Salarians, and all the merc clans, or nothing but humans, Turians, and a battered Quarian flotilla. How hard would it have been for Bioware to program a couple instances into that last mission where groups you rallied to your side came to your rescue... or if you didn't rally them, you have to deal with an enemy force all by yourself? It's so odd to me that the final mission is unaffected by your military choices.

Also, could Bioware really not admit they made a mistake in having your London squadmates step out of the crashed Normandy? The whole evac scene seemed so awkwardly shoved in. Sure, let's just bring the most advanced Alliance ship down from the fight to squat like a sitting duck before the most powerful ancient Reaper, just so we can evac two wounded soldiers in a battle where EVERYONE is likely to die anyway. Honestly, your London squadmates should have perished with the rest of the assault. To do any different devalues the long-established strength of the Reapers.

Thankfully, the writers struck a much better chord with the revised and extended Catalyst dialogue. I no longer get the feeling that he is opposed to the Crucible's changes, as he seemed in the original ending. Also, it is wonderfully enlightening to hear the Catalyst fleshed out as an AI creation, one that creates less-than-perfect solutions to a near impossible task.

The ending speeches, however, seem without Bioware's usual nuance for detail. No one ever lives happily ever after, and I was hoping to hear at least a foreshadowing of such.

Posted Image

#322 Bleck

Bleck

Samus Aran (+8000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

The Extended Cut made the ending go from 'the worst' to just 'bad'. It's still a nightmare thematically, structurally, scripturally and visually.

Posted Image

#323 Moguta

Moguta

Abobo (+450)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

Terrific post I found re the ending: http://social.biowar...ndex/13006636/1
SPOILERS!

Posted Image

#324 Bleck

Bleck

Samus Aran (+8000)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

The thing is, whether or not the Reapers were justified in doing what they were doing isn't really what the whole series is about until the final moments of the third game. Thematically, the origins and motives of the Reapers are not relevant; the story was never about understanding the villains so much as it was about defeating them.

If we look at the ending in absolutist terms, not revealing the origins of the Reapers at all would have been a much better choice than attempting to explain them.

Posted Image

#325 Melbu Frahma

Melbu Frahma

Yoshi (+1400)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Terrific post I found re the ending: http://social.biowar...ndex/13006636/1
SPOILERS!

That was a really interesting read! Thank you for sharing. :-)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#326 PriZm

PriZm

Fox McCloud (+1200)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationMontreal. QC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

snip

Yeah well without going as in depth as you did, I just thought indoctrination as a whole was a weak plot device because neither the causes nor the effects are defined with precision. This means that the way the story is presented, anyone at any point could be indoctrinated.
Posted Image

#327 Moguta

Moguta

Abobo (+450)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 480 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

Anyone playing ME3 multiplayer these days? Vanguards got fixed, and the Batarian vang is a hard-hitting beast.

Posted Image

#328 Brushfire

Brushfire

OverClocked After Dark Co-Host

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationAugusta, GA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Anyone playing ME3 multiplayer these days? Vanguards got fixed, and the Batarian vang is a hard-hitting beast.

Me and my bros play on the weekend on the PC.
Posted Image
"Why ya gotta do that shit Dave, puttin people on the spot!?"

#329 Moguta

Moguta

Abobo (+450)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 480 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

Me and my bros play on the weekend on the PC.

Sweet. What's your Origin name? I'm StarlitVagabond

Posted Image

#330 Sengin

Sengin

Bad Dude (+400)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 416 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

That's funny - I just started playing again last week after months. When I first got on Firebase White, I was like "Where the hell did THAT hallway come from!?" And the abominations blowing up was a shocker.

It does seem a bit less buggy now too - in the (now) rare case I fall through the floor, I am put right back at the start of the map, instead of being stuck there the rest of the match. Although, Gold seems a bit easier now than it was back in April... maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly though.

#331 Brushfire

Brushfire

OverClocked After Dark Co-Host

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • LocationAugusta, GA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

Sweet. What's your Origin name? I'm StarlitVagabond

TheBrushfire. Like Add Subscribe
Posted Image
"Why ya gotta do that shit Dave, puttin people on the spot!?"

#332 Moguta

Moguta

Abobo (+450)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

That's funny - I just started playing again last week after months. When I first got on Firebase White, I was like "Where the hell did THAT hallway come from!?" And the abominations blowing up was a shocker.

It does seem a bit less buggy now too - in the (now) rare case I fall through the floor, I am put right back at the start of the map, instead of being stuck there the rest of the match. Although, Gold seems a bit easier now than it was back in April... maybe I'm just remembering incorrectly though.

I remember thinking the exact same thing. "Have I been missing something all this time?!?" But the changeups helped keep it fresh.

And they definitely patched up the vanguard bugs. As you noticed, sometimes you'll still 'warp' back to the center of the stage, which is annoying. But at least you're not having a trippy journey into the sky anymore. There was one weekend challenge to rack up a few thousand points using Biotic Charge. Couldn't help but suspect it was their way of bugtesting it.

Posted Image

#333 prophetik music

prophetik music

Thieves of Fate/Threshold of a Dream Director

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,576 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

i need to get back into this =) i play on the xbox. let me know if you're up to play.

|| how to computer: a faq on hardware || computer building || my rig ||
i write music. i fix and build computers. talk to me for information regarding either subject.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

games | mixes | artists | albums