OCR03003 - *YES* Mirror's Edge 'Clear Reflections'

DragonAvenger

Hello friends.

This is a Remix of Mirror's Edge "Still Alive" song. I decided to take a progressive trance route with this one, taking inspiration from the stuff Hybrid, Sasha and others were doing in the late 90s/early 00s. The focus on the genre is mostly on keeping a really cool ambience with synths that never remain static and cool breakbeats, so I think I got close to the mark here.

This was done for the People's Remix Competition #242, and if this gets posted I wish you guys could plug it somehow because this competition has been running for years now and it's one of the main reasons I get to mix new songs, and kudos to Bundeslang for keeping it running all this time.

As always, made in Reason, and the synths are of my own making :) enjoy!

---------------

• 1 month later...

Cool stuff! I do hear the Sasha influence, he's one of my favorite trance artists. I like how you converted this vocal track to pure instrumental and still kept the vibe. Source use seems fine.

The saws used here border on generic at times, but the writing and arrangement is very nicely personalized. Very nice soundscape. The piano is the one thing I feel doesn't fit in perfectly, the tone is almost a bit sharp for this style, the playing lacks humanization (not much note-velocity variation) and the delay a bit too prominent. There isn't enough piano in the track to make it a huge problem though. I love that sine/whistle synth, and I adore that 303!

Overall I feel like the track is mixed quite well, sounds could be eq-separated just a bit more but this is working well enough. The track is a tad reverby but fits the genre well.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I really wish the piano sequencing was smoothed out; it really does stick out as being incredibly stiff. Like Chimpazilla said though, it is used pretty sparingly. I really like the synths in this, especially the gated arp and the whistling one. Really classy sounding stuff. I do think the transitions could have been a bit more pronounced and emphasized with some additional percussive and melodic leading, and the ending was a bit abrupt, but overall I feel this is over the bar. Nice work on a good theme.

Yes

• 4 weeks later...

Traaaaaaaaaance! Also known as the best genre EVAR. Also, I love this song, so I'm pleased to see a remix here in the queue!

Ahem.

So, source-wise, I've got zero complaints. Plenty of usage there, even without the vocals that made the original track so great.

Production-wise, I've got a few nitpicks. The whistle synth is a bit harsh to my ears, and I wish overall that the song's highs were higher and the lows lower. The deep bass just isn't there, and the energy is concentrated in the midrange, rather than being spread around. The drums, too, could stand to be a touch punchier. I do echo OA's concerns on the piano, too, as that's mechanical as heck.

Thankfully though, these are only nitpicks, and not enough to make this unpassable. Let's see this on the front page and get some Mirror's Edge love!

YES

This one's too crowded for my taste. That said, it's clean ENOUGH, and Mike's arrangement is solid as a rock. Good energy throughout; the adaptation to a electronic piece was handled well, and I didn't even miss the vocals and lyrics, as awesome as Lisa Miskovsky work in the original is.

I wish the piano wasn't so fake and robotic. I suppose that distinguishes it from the original, but that's still not a good thing. In any case, it was horribly exposed in the intro and close, but those were both brief, and it wasn't a standout issue elsewhere.

The ending also unceremoniously cut out before the fade completed, so we'll need that fixed before posting, if possible.

YES