OCR03046 - *YES* Supremacy 'Pixel Storm in the Planetary System'

Palpable

Greetings

This is a ReMix of Supremacy's Title Theme for the C64, composed by Jeroen Tel, a guy whose music I admire a lot and inspires me as well, he made some of the best C64 tunes and he's also a really cool guy.

Over the course of several months I've been doing some dubstep tracks, and although I have done several that I could submit I decided to go with this one first, as it's my favorite so far. I mixed chiptune and dubstep elements here, and tried to go for the most abrasive and gritty dubstep bass sounds I could create while also making the drums as hot and big as I could. i think it turned out pretty well and I think its my dubstep track that sounds more "big" so far.

As far as the sound design goes I had a surprisingly easy time with this one as I created the sounds exactly how I wanted them in almost no time (love when that happens) and in very simple ways. Most of the hard work had to do with the modulation and CV routing which is fairly complicated. As always, all the synths and drums were programmed from scratch by me on Reason.

This was yet another product of the People's Remix Competition, so another shout out to everyone who participates.

Remix:

Original:

LT Edit (7/28): I talked with Mike after OCR Talkback about this mix, and without prompting, he mentioned the problems of piercing higher frequencies and the overall levels being too loud, and planned to revise this. Here we are (including the ending fully trailing off).

Hello Larry, as promised, this is an update to the Supremacy Remix I submitted. I'm glad you liked it, but as I know you may have noticed, there's some really hard and overbearing sizzling in the very high frequencies throughout the remix that I managed to detect a few weeks ago while listening in a different setup than what I currently remix in.

I had to redo the whole mastering because this track was done in Reason 5, and I used to master my tracks outside of it in another daw, so I don't have those files anymore. I say this because the mastering will be slightly different, however I think it's an improvement over the old one, and the annoying high frequencies have been cut as well.

Since you asked for Raw wavs last time I'm gonna link both the mp3 and the Wav files:

If there are any further issues let me know and I'll update accordingly.

Edited by Liontamer
added updated link

• 1 month later...

WOW this track is loud. Some cool ideas here for sure! I like the bass ideas you've got going on throughout the track. Nice glitching too. You've followed the source quite closely, no problems with source use here.

That main saw lead is pretty loud when it first appears, but it is soon devoured by the upper end of the bass antics, as well as a lot of crashes and/or hats in the same frequency range. There's a square-ish arp that begins at 1:37 that is completely obliterated by the upper bass crunch and all these crashes and hats. Somehow the leads need to be separated from the upper end of the bass, and maybe a few less (or softer) crashes/hats, because the competition between these sounds all in the same range is exhausting. I'd suggest some very careful eq notching on the bass to let the lead come through cleanly, as well as using a nice long predelay on the lead's reverb.

You have done some very nice soloing with the saw lead at points like 1:23, but the lead timbre is rather plain and during the times when the lead notes are longer, the lack of any modulation or vibrato is evident.

So do some eqing to separate the sounds a bit better, maybe do some modulation on your main lead, and let's hear this again.

edit: 7/30/14 This version is mixed significantly better. The upper end is still a bit busy but I can hear everything clearly now. Nice work! This is a super detailed and fun mix and I'm glad to now give it the big

YES

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 2 months later...

Man, this source is catchy as hell. Don't sleep on Jeroen Tel.

I came in reading Chimpa's vote and expecting/wanting to co-sign, but I didn't end up agreeing. IMO, the track is definitely loud; it's definitely mixed extremely hot, much like how Beatdrop does it. I'm not saying Chmipa's wrong on her criticisms about things being cramped to an extent, but unlike Flexstyle/OCU's Sonic team-up where I really thought things got way too compressed, I just wasn't getting that feeling here.

The parts sounded like they had reasonable separation and I heard a fair amount of clarity amidst the volume. If the parts weren't reasonably distinct from one another and the soundscape was super muddy and cluttered, I'd be against this. All I'm hearing is awesomeness at a very high volume.

The arrangement was absolutely incredible; easily one of the most intense VGM adaptations I've ever heard, with tons of ear candy, super pronounced source melodies and amazing original writing complimenting the whole package. Easily Mike's coolest (and I'd argue most polished) track in the history of ever.

MOAR PLEASE!

YES

LT Edit (7/30): Even super compressed, this still worked enough, but the updated version has so much more breathing room, and it's way easier to appreciate the details. This will definitely be in my personal rotation forever. If I make it to 90, I'll still bump this.

Edited by Liontamer
added comments for update

• 2 weeks later...

So good.

Lots of energy here and an effective fusion of chippy leads with heavy beats and bass work. The beat really drives the song along - very meaty with a good amount of punch. Nice bass work as well

I can hear what Kristina is saying on the freq's meshing and loudness and, while I didn't feel it was a dealbreaker here, it definitely is an issue. The mix is pretty top heavy with the cutting synths, and a good amount of high end presence in both the beat and the bass.

Very cool arrangement. No gripes there.

Ending was underwhelming TBH for such an epic track.

Some stuff that could be fixed up, but I love it.

YES

PS this sounds like the delay/reverb tail gets cut off at the end. May want to ask for a fixed up version?

Edited by Nutritious

• 2 weeks later...

This is all sorts of sweet! The arrangement is definitely solid, and while I agree that the levels are hot, I think it actually adds to the mix in that it's super strong and not afraid to push boundaries. Gives it a little character :). That being said, I think there could definitely be some issues if the mix didn't really have clear melodies showing through. Very cool stuff.

YES