*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Minecraft 'Moog Lullaby'

djpretzel

Pretty cool concept/arrangement... seemed like it clipped at one point, may not develop enough... - djp

---

This is my first submission to OCR! Hope you like it ^-^

It is a mashup of "Moog City" (Minecraft) and "Zelda's Lullaby" 
I named it "Moog Lullaby"

One day my brother woke up with these two songs playing over each other, but with Zelda's Lullaby in 4/4 time to fit over Moog City's background. I actually did most of it on a notation software called Notion, for some of it I used an iOS app called Figure, and I mixed it together on Audacity.

If not accepted, feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/03/10 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Minecraft 'Moog Lullaby'

Awesome concept, these two tracks go together nicely.  There is definitely an audible distortion at 1:49.  The track is a nice start but ultimately I'm finding it too short and undeveloped to be a standalone track on OCR.  The arp pattern is so simple, I'd love to hear the timbre you're using with some modulation or filter movement on it to give it interest as it goes along through the track.  The first lead sound is pretty weak and unexpressive, actually the second one is as well.  The arrangement ends just as it should really be getting started.  At the point the mix ends, I'm expecting a buildup into something wicked-cool with badass drums and a great bassline, and some unique writing.  I can hear it in my head!  I say take what you've got here back to the drawing board, and make it a fuller and more complete track, and let's hear it again.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2016/03/10 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Minecraft 'Moog Lullaby'

Holy shit, this combination works incredibly well - I was not expecting this at all. It changes the Zelda theme completely, and yet... it makes perfect sense. Granted, the first three notes of Zelda's theme occur in Moog town, as well, but kudos for expanding on that idea.

I'm on the fence, as far as this being a track that doesn't develop enough. On the one hand, it presents a solid idea, and takes it a few places with that build-up. On the other hand, there's a second half to the Zelda theme that I know could be expanded on, here. There's also the fact that I hear the Moog portion being followed quite closely, as far as the form of the arrangement goes. Not to say this is too conservative (blending the themes like this alone means you took quite a liberty with it), but perhaps branching away from the structure of Moog Town a little may generate a few more ideas.

At 1:49, there is some distortion that pops up. It's not technically clipping, as the track never gets above -0.5 dB, but it sounds a lot like it, as if there's a hard limiter that the track is hitting against. You should certainly look into that distortion and clean it up.

Overall, I really like what is here, but at the same time I agree with Chimp on both the clipping and development of the track. I will also suggest breaking away a little from the form of Moog Town, in order to help generate ideas as far as developing the track goes, though that isn't mandatory. Great work, though - I still got a kick out of this.

NO

Nice approach, but I agree with Kris' vote on its entirety.  I was not a fan of the distortion on the lead synth... I get that it was probably an stylistic choice but I don't think it was a very good one to fit this song.  There's distortion to be found in some of the chords in the piano as well.  The bass hits near the end felt really dull and dry, I know what you were going for at this point but this sound is not cutting it for the impact you want to make.  The best part of the arrangement was the combination of the two sources which work very well together, but overall this song feels a lot like a WIP, not like a complete package. 

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Minecraft 'Moog Lullaby'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic