OCR00581 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike "Jungle Jazz"

orkybash

Nice piano intro, leading me to expect something laid back, but then some detailed beats come in that change my expectations a bit. Interesting that once things get going full on, the track is almost halfway over. :/

Really classy stuff here though, with nice counterpoint and synths, epiano, mallets, and a lot of additional percussion.

Well done, I like it, regardless of length. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Soft piano chords enter my head. I open my eyes and realize I'm the only customer sitting in a pub. The piano seems unaware of my presence as it idly explores its thoughts on Makoto's electro-nightclub source tune. When it sees it has an audience, it breaks into a spunkier tempo, accompanied by a roll of cymbal taps and a light but firm bass. A quick burst and fade of drumwork from the source teases me with a taste of the energy to come. String swells freshen the atmosphere as gin and other tonics are served to new customers. Jungle-feverish percussion jumps into the fray going "Where's the party? Where's the party?" while a one-note organ, despite its position off to the right, faithfully plays its beats. There's enough listeners by now, so the jazzy piano plays the source more confidently while the percussion baits my taste buds. Wanting in on the fun, a bell-xylophone turns up the "class" factor while maintaining the jazzy, laid-back feel. Deciding that it's time, the drumwork from earlier makes a showstopping, boom-diggity appearance. In its wake comes a set of 8-bit boom-crunches to throw the hardcore boozehounds for a loop. By now everybody knows your name and my name and the name of everyone playing the music. Things are chill, convivial, and altruistic by the time the piano and co. belt out a second helping of the source.

Things fade out once I've had too much to drink. Aw well. 'Twas a lively performance. I'll pay the bartender when I awaken...

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Always, always, always loved McVaffe's stuff. This ReMix is no exception. The soothing piano for the first minute is really good, and then it picks up with junglish jazz indeed. I gotta say, I was never big on jazz, but drum-driven jungle type jazz, I can get into. Great ReMix.

• 1 year later...

So awesome. I forgot how great a lot of McVaffe's older stuff is. This is so chill. The combination of instruments really makes this memorable. Always loved that piano and the xylophone (?? don't know if that instrument's a xylophone, but it sounds good). This just sounds like it was a lot of fun to make and that's a lot of what draws me to music in the first place.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

@ProjectSpamThat's a vibraphone. The core difference is that a xylophone has no release at all. And it's often used in comedy cartoons (think Disney's The Skeleton Dance).

Back on topic, I've been looping this yesterday as I worked on stuff. Certainly not something you'd expect from McVaffe. Smooth on the leads, heavy on the percussion. Just the way I like it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00581 - Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike "Jungle Jazz"