ANNUAL FUNDRAISER!! Help us take OCR to the next level by supporting us on PATREON!!

Old 12-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Ter
Octorok (+200)

If most of the ReMixes I like are the musical equivalent of tofu and potatoes with a side of veggies, with the occasional bowl of ice cream thrown in, this mix would probably be something akin to those crazy Japanese candies with the edible rice wrapper; not only is it good, but it's experimental, does things with the basic concept that you never would have thought of, and is just fun to listen to.

I'm not trying to play webmaster's pet here, but djpretzel is one of my favorite contributors to this site, not just based on the obvious facts that he created and is in charge of it, but the stuff he submits is so musically innovative, like he tries new and different approaches to everything every time he sits down to create. It's very artistic and refreshing.
Sponsored Links

Please register to remove the above advertisement.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Mascot Bio Project Co-Editor
Ryu Hayabusa (+700)

This sounds like it came out of some warped, robotic, vertigo-dimensional future - which, considering this is F-Zero, is quite fitting. A couple of synths practice their vowel pronunciations, some vibrate as a way of life, others do sneak attacks through volume and panning... it's a patchwork of experimental production that turns out deli-sauce. I particularly dig the expressive breaks at 1:10 and 2:40, as well as how previous riffs/sections act as a countermelodic balance beneath the silvery leads.

The beef of the source, entering at 1:33, is played in a sort of off-octave manner (not distinctly higher or lower than normal), ditching the original's grandiose, prize-money-is-at-stake feel for something more along the lines of "Captain Falcon's joyride." He's groovin' to the electronica on his hovercar's stereo, leaping off a cliff/ramp when he gets a hilarious case of Radio Treble Syndrome at 2:08 and crashing back on track at 2:14. Then he crosses the finish line - alone - beating his previous time trial ghosts that come whizzing past a second or two later.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Andrew Luers, Judge, Unsung Heroes Director
Big Boss (+6000)
OC ReMix Artist Profile

Crazy sounds on this one. I think a lot of the experimentation on this worked out, but having 1 or 2 dry elements would have been nice to ground it.

It's a sortof weird sonic stew, but there's some nutrition to be had here.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Jay
Ryu Hayabusa (+700)

This mix is what it says it is: a great source with some interesting processing. Not bad. I was hoping for more improv sections like most of djp's other rearrangements, though.

Last edited by SubNormal J3; 02-20-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Alex Kidd (+1850)

Man, they were not kidding about the headphones thing. I actually kind of liked it though. It's a weird way to sort of add something to the mix without music itself. Sounds like you're going through a technical warp. A trick like that would be cool nowadays if cleaned up a bit more, but nice work all the same.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Eggplant Wizard (+300)

hee this is so cool! :D Mute Radiology could totally be used as a remix for a new F-Zero game - and I'm not just blowing air up anyone's skirt. :p

Somehow it also sounds really complex... layered?... I'm not sure how to place the way the sounds seem to interact. I just like it. ^_^