Big Band?

swordofdestiny

Anyone interested in forming a big band? To have this we'd need 4-5 trumpets (I'll volunteer myself, but I am NOT a lead player, at least, I'm not on my 1 1/2 C and I haven't touched my lead mp in a while), 3-4 tenor trombones, bass bone, two alto saxophones (Cyril I'm looking at you), two tenor saxophones, a baritone saxophone, a bass guitar, jazz guitar, piano player, drumset and possibly a few vocalists. If you're interested, reply to this with your instrument (and part preference for applicable instruments) name and your nickname/name/whatever. Example:

Name: swordofdestiny

Instrument: Trumpet

Part Pref: 2-5

What context do you have in mind? General jazz, VG arrangements, etc? I'd been toying with this idea in my head as well. I'm finding myself with less opportunity to put music in front of a big band since I'm no longer in college.

I can definitely arrange and play bass bone. I can most likely cover the tenor parts as well. I don't know what my lead bone chops are like anymore. It's been years, but I could (and probably should) be back in that range if needed.

If done well, this could be really cool.

Just letting you know that The OverClocked Plaid Muffins are watching this thread with great interest. Specifically because one of our upcoming arrangements is a big-band swing style, and we might be looking to boost our ranks for that track. :nicework:

You know where to find me.

Having played in a big band in high school, I have to wonder how exactly you're planning on putting anything together over the internet while maintaining any kind of quality.

That's why I never made a thread like this. There's a lot of group-energy type things that make the style work where everyone plays off each other. I think it could be done, but it'll be a small bitch to pull off right.

i can cover all alto sax, tenor sax, and clarinet parts, and i can do bari sax and bass clarinet if i can borrow instruments from on-campus. i've got a masters in saxophone performance. do i qualify?

i have hacked around with an upright bass in the past, as well.

i agree it'd be really, really tough to pull off. likely, the only way it'd work is if the same person records ALL instruments in their section. like, one person does all trumpets, etc. there's a level of accuracy in regards to articulation and intonation that would be desperately important as well.

i can cover all alto sax, tenor sax, and clarinet parts, and i can do bari sax and bass clarinet if i can borrow instruments from on-campus. i've got a masters in saxophone performance. do i qualify?

i have hacked around with an upright bass in the past, as well.

i agree it'd be really, really tough to pull off. likely, the only way it'd work is if the same person records ALL instruments in their section. like, one person does all trumpets, etc. there's a level of accuracy in regards to articulation and intonation that would be desperately important as well.

Brad, you were my first thought on this.

And I totally agree about the same section thing. It's easier to follow the lead part when you are the lead part as well. Granted, the advantage of doing this on your own is that you can listen to the recording of the lead player until you can play it right with him.

The hardest part will probably be the rhythm guys. Keeping comping uncluttered between the piano and guitar, drums that are interactive to the chart, etc.

I'd imagine that if it started with a rough drum track which had good timing, we could record along with that track. Record lead parts first (then if there are others recording in your section they can okay up to the lead's style), then put a more involved drum track in, then bass, then figure out the comping.

Perhaps heresy, but maybe just not having a guitarist might be a good option?

Although, as a possibility, I might be able to talk my brother who's a second-year jazz major on guitar into playing, though whatever he'd do would have to be between terms or over the summer since he's swamped with schoolwork right now.

I almost never write for guitar. The only reason I mentioned it was that swordofdestiny did. I generally prefer no guitar since I think it muddles up the piano comping. However, if you get a guy who can play a very laid back Freddie Green style, then I'm all for it. That kind of rhythm guitar adds a nice little depth to the chords, but stays out of the piano's way.

I almost never write for guitar. The only reason I mentioned it was that swordofdestiny did. I generally prefer no guitar since I think it muddles up the piano comping. However, if you get a guy who can play a very laid back Freddie Green style, then I'm all for it. That kind of rhythm guitar adds a nice little depth to the chords, but stays out of the piano's way.

no guitar if possible, i think.

it'd be best to lay down the drum track, first, complete with fills and dynamics as much as possible. record instruments, focusing on dynamics and group articulation as much as possible (trumpets would likely have to record first to ensure that the lead trumpet is actually leading and not just on top). then get comping piano and string bass in, edit drums as needed. once all that's done, record solos over the (now mostly finished) accompaniment.

i don't think it could be done in any other way, honestly.

(trumpets would likely have to record first to ensure that the lead trumpet is actually leading and not just on top).

Do we know of any that have the range and style to be the lead player in a big band (and are interested)?

Also, we should know who feels the most comfortable with improv. I know I've always been a "if I have to" guy for taking a solo. I could do it, but something about a bass trombone improv solo seemed more like a novelty to do every couple years instead of a regular soloist.

Man, my lead chops are terrible right now. I practiced some lead parts for about half an hour today and wanted to die.

But I've still got mad bass bone chops!

So just to see what we've got going here in terms of interest:

Saxes - Cyril, Xenon, and Prophet, maybe with bari

Trumpets - SoD, but not lead

Bones - Fratto, bass and potential for tenor parts

Piano - Kanthos

Bass -

Drums -

Vocals - maybe Relyance

Mixing/Editing - Flexstyle?

So we need the rest a a rhythm section, a lead trumpet player, and maybe another bone player with some high range. I can arrange, and if I remember right, so can Brad. Who else can? Which brings us back to whether or not this is general big band, VG arrangements, or both. Also, someone with pretty good audio editing skills.

I'm actually more excited at the possibility of this than I thought I was.

someone with pretty good audio editing skills

Graduate of audio engineering school and avid semi-pro mixing engineer here (meaning I get paid when I do it but it's not much more than a side thing right now), would I be able to at least take a crack at this sort o' thing? I'm mostly an electronic artist, and that's all you'll be able to hear of my work, but I've done a good bit of jazz recording/mixing, thanks to some friends who were generous enough to lend their time and instrumental expertise while I had access to the school's recording studios. I might even be able to upload some of my work if you need to hear such a thing....

You know, I've also had an idea for something like this, but I tried to avoid the whole recording problem by making sure everyone would live close by one another so they could rehearse together, rather than just recording themselves along with a track.

That being said, as if my bonus track on SMB wasn't proof enough, I would definitely be interested in arranging VGM, along with any original pieces I manage to come up with.

Oh yeah, and my tenor sax, too. If y'all want that as well.

You know, I've also had an idea for something like this, but I tried to avoid the whole recording problem by making sure everyone would live close by one another so they could rehearse together, rather than just recording themselves along with a track.

That being said, as if my bonus track on SMB wasn't proof enough, I would definitely be interested in arranging VGM, along with any original pieces I manage to come up with.

Oh yeah, and my tenor sax, too. If y'all want that as well.

you have my sword...AND MY SAX!

I completely understand about the sax thing; I would actually perfer not to play, but I was saying that if it would be helpful or something, I can offer my talents.

If this ever gets off the cutting board, I have at least seven or so songs I want to arrange on this list I keep, plus a certain soundtrack...just putting it out there.

I completely understand about the sax thing; I would actually perfer not to play, but I was saying that if it would be helpful or something, I can offer my talents.

If this ever gets off the cutting board, I have at least seven or so songs I want to arrange on this list I keep, plus a certain soundtrack...just putting it out there.

a good idea would be to do one track as a test. if it works - without a shit-ton of issues - then we can keep going.

i'd be happy to coordinate if need be. i'm not aware of an OCR project based on song style rather than soundtrack or something.

a good idea would be to do one track as a test. if it works - without a shit-ton of issues - then we can keep going.

i'd be happy to coordinate if need be. i'm not aware of an OCR project based on song style rather than soundtrack or something.

In terms of a song, I have the

parts, plus it's not too difficult in terms of performance. I think that'd be easiest since it's already all there.

I've had the project idea for a while, but I would only want to start it if we can achieve a good quality with the turn-out of this whole thang. Otherwise, back to the back-burner as it's sat for the past two years.