OCR01608 - *YES* Addams Family 'Nightmare on Cemetery Lane'

Liontamer

Let me know if there is a problem with the links.

Song Title: Nightmare on Cemetery Lane

Artist: Random Hero

Game: The Addams Family (Primarily SNES but also Genesis and Amiga Versions)

Source Music: Main Theme (aka Addams Family Residence)

Other Inspiration: “Hard to Starboard” by James Horner from “Titanic”

Composition Period: March 16 to 24, 07

Email: cc971751@hotmail.com

I always wanted to do something from this game. I used to rent it along with Super Mario World when the SNES first came out and I always love it. I did try to get this one to work a while back but I guess my skills hadn’t developed far enough and it was quickly abandoned but not forgotten. I also wanted to do something with a similar, high energy, ‘clanging’ sound like that found on the disaster sequences from Titanic (and Courage Under Fire) by James Horner. This, surprisingly, turned out to be it. Hope you guys like it.

Ryan

------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=adf - "Exploring the House" (adf-04a.spc)

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=429 - 03 "Outside"

http://www.exotica.org.uk/tunes/archive/Authors/Game/Dunn_Jonathan/Addams_Family.lha - med.ingame_1

Thanks a lot to Vigilante for his knowledge of the game soundtrack; it talked me down from suggesting a DP on this one since he was more familiar with the source.

For reference, the three themes linked above are all just variations of each other; I was feeling the SNES version the most. Ryan had me (really) scared for a while on account of the first few minutes being so structurally close to the original, but the interpretation came in spades from 2:27-onward. If there had been more pronounced interpretation, this would have been gold for a direct post.

From 2:27-on, it was a case of holding to the general structure of the original, but adding lots of embellishments, altering the rhythms, creating more dynamics, and whatnot. Loved the way the track got quieter at 2:49, only to build back up at 3:10.

One of those tracks where the arrangement gradually (but literally) gets only more interpretive as it goes on; the final section at 3:46 sealed the deal nicely. Beautiful, very personalized piece of work that revealed more and more substance as it chugged along.

YES

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great soundtrack. The remix however, aside from a few short interpretive interludes, is pretty close to a cover.

What really bothers me is that the orchestration is akward. The string and horn parts are crawling over each other for attention, clashing and making the soundfield a mess. Danny B must be rolling in his grave. The samples completely make this one. If the samples werent so good the slopply partwriting would stick out even more and be completely inexcusable.

I'm glad to see this soundtrack get some love, but this track is a sloppy arrangement hiding under expensive samples.

NO

After a few listens I have to say that I am impressed with the production quality improvement here. The upgrade to better samples certainly helped, but I know a lot of people who do not use these samples well, so clearly you're learning to use what you have well. Mixing is good and the dynamic range is tasteful. We get a LOT of bad orch subs but this is not one of them, at least not in the technical/implementation sense. I disagree with Vig that the orchestration is "sloppy". It seems pretty detailed to me and the dynamics from section to section are impressive.

I do however share some concerns about the arrangement. Many rhythms & harmonies are identical and it generally mimics the structure of the original for the first half. That makes me uneasy. However, I really can't say that this is below our standard of interpretation... it clearly does a lot with the theme as the mix develops. I would be happier if more of that creativity was applied to the beginning but as it stands this is a solid mix. I am feeling this much more than the mixer's first mix, I might add.

YES

• 4 weeks later...
If the samples werent so good the slopply partwriting would stick out even more and be completely inexcusable.

Hehe, you spelled "sloppy" wrong. That's sloppy. XD

Moving on... First half aside, I think this mix winds up deviating from the source to a reasonable degree. It ees good. Just be a little more careful with your future submissions when it comes to balancing original material with source material. It can be a tricky thing.

YES