Is it considered bad form to ask someone to do the production for you?

Hausdog

I'm working on a mix of Luigi's Mansion and since I don't have the full version of FL, when my computer's battery died, my progress died with it. I can throw together a zip file with the midi, all the soundfonts, and my most recent mp3 for reference if anyone's interested. Of course, you'll be credited.

No, it isn't bad form to ask other people; it's been done before, and we have several mixes coming up where that was the case. However, the producer usually gets collab credit alongside your name (after all, they did do a sizeable chunk of the work.)

Unfortunately I'm not really available to do production work myself. Dayfdd was probably referring to mixing and mastering services I offer, where I take your project after it's all done and polish it as best I can (adjusting volume levels, EQing, compressing, limiting, and so forth.)

I'm working on a mix of Luigi's Mansion and since I don't have the full version of FL, when my computer's battery died, my progress died with it. I can throw together a zip file with the midi, all the soundfonts, and my most recent mp3 for reference if anyone's interested. Of course, you'll be credited.

Well, honestly, if you're trying to do a remix all in one shot, chances are you're not going to get your mix posted here anyway, unless you're some kind of FL-god, which I doubt, considering you only have the demo version.

I'd recommend saving up some money and getting the full version of FL, or try out some free alternatives.

Unfortunately I'm not really available to do production work myself. Dayfdd was probably referring to mixing and mastering services I offer, where I take your project after it's all done and polish it as best I can (adjusting volume levels, EQing, compressing, limiting, and so forth.)

Yeah, sorry, my bad. But if the price is right... ? :-D

No, it isn't bad form to ask other people; it's been done before, and we have several mixes coming up where that was the case. However, the producer usually gets collab credit alongside your name (after all, they did do a sizeable chunk of the work.)

Adding to that from my POV, it's not bad form, but at the same time I never want to encourage it as a long-term/permanent solution for people who currently aren't solid with production. Not implying that you were thinking that, BTW, but it's always good to see artists improve enough where they can do nearly everything on their own and feel confident doing so!

zircon helped me out with a mix a while back that then got accepted. heck, there's always people available for assistance with a mix, just check the profiles under 'composition and production skills'.