Can someone recommend me a new guitar?

I was adjusting my truss rod to lower the action and straighten out the neck because it has a slight upward bow to it. Anyways, I adjusted the truss rod one full turn clockwise (till I could see the neck leveling out) and left it over night with all six strings on. I came back in the morning and the stupid thing was broken. How the hell did this happen? Anyways I was thinking about getting an Ibanez SV electric or RG550. Any recommendations for a good guitar in the sub $1000 price range? Preferably over $400 unless there are guitars of quality under that range (preferably with good tremelo system, but maybe there are guitars with no trem under $400 that are killer?)

Here's a picture if you want to see

d4.jpg

:-| Wow, that's tragic.

It sounds like you're looking for an electric. Based on a lot of what I've seen, in the sub-$1k/over-$400 there are quite a few really good options. Please excuse the Musician's Friend links…

There's the new ESP F-2E - neck-through w/ LFR trem. The Forest body shape isn't everyone's cup of tea, though. The body itself is a unique lamination of mahogany, what looks like a thin layer of maple and some variety of Asian Ebony - very likely Malaysian Blackwood (Diospyros ebonasea) rather than Macassar Ebony (Diospyros celebica) - Macassar would demand a price three-times what ESP's asking. :???: $530.

The Ibanez S520EX (I had been looking at one of these for myself before I started building my own…:-D). The ZR trem on this arguably the best trem available (subjective, of course). $599.

Another one that's killer is the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR. Neck-through, active EMGs, Original Floyd Rose tremolo, and a choice of three different finishes. $849. This is available for $150 less if you don't need a trem.

Just some suggestions. The SZ-series and RG-series you mentioned in your post definitely have a well-deserved following, so you could do a lot worse than them.

Hey, I'm new to the forums this is my first post. Anyway onto topic, I own an Ibanez RG520 since 2004 and I love it, I believe they don't make those anymore, but if you can find a similar one from someone, I'd go for it.

If not, I think you should go with Ibanez RG2550 or a similar model, they cost around ~1000, they're very nice for all kinds of rock and soloing and more, I really love the thin neck. The 2550 is equipped with DiMarzio pickups which, according to many, are better than the Ibanez V pickups which sound a bit too muffled.

If that's the type of guitar you're looking for the other brands that might suit your needs would maybe be Jackson and Schecter, ESP etc.

I was adjusting my truss rod to lower the action and straighten out the neck because it has a slight upward bow to it. Anyways, I adjusted the truss rod one full turn clockwise (till I could see the neck leveling out) and left it over night with all six strings on. I came back in the morning and the stupid thing was broken. How the hell did this happen?

It happened because you gave the rod a full turn. When you get your next guitar, never go more than an eighth of a turn before leaving it at least overnight for the wood to get used to the new configuration. Better yet, take it to a luthier and pay a few bucks to have it done until you learn that adjusting the tension rod is a terrible way to lower your action. :P

I fully endorse the RG series. My RG560 is the best guitar I've ever played, and the action--which I lowered with the bridge posts--is smooth as butter.

-steve

• 2 weeks later...
Better yet, take it to a luthier and pay a few bucks to have it done until you learn that adjusting the tension rod is a terrible way to lower your action. :P

But it's a GREAT way to fix a bow. Just NOT that fast!

Thanks though Legion. I normally would only move 1/8 a turn at a time, and not snap my rod; but I didn't know the wood had to settle under the new tension for a while or it'd explode. This had me puzzled for a while too.

Fortunately when I did my truss it only needed a 3/8 turn (which adjusted the relief by some sub-0.010 inch step... o.o;).

As for an acoustic to play, I don't know. My Harmony is crap. I've been looking at Epiphones, considering getting an acoustic one day (once I can play the electric well)... the Dove Dreadnaught has good reviews, but I know nothing about the damn things. I'd probably aim at an Ibanez with a cut-away (les paul looking acoustic); I've seen acoustic-electric Ibanez that play and sound nice. Tell me what you come up with in any case.

:-| Wow, that's tragic.

It sounds like you're looking for an electric. Based on a lot of what I've seen, in the sub-$1k/over-$400 there are quite a few really good options. Please excuse the Musician's Friend links…

Acoustics and electrics feel, sound, and play wildly different. Playing an acoustic cleans up your technique (if you learn to play an acoustic), so I'm going to learn after I get good on electric.

That being said, there's definitely a lot of nice cheap electrics out there. Squier Vintage Modified SSS Strats for example go around $250; while an Epiphone Les Paul Studio hits $320 (and a freaking pretty Les Paul Studio Chameleon hits $400 for the paint job!). Semi-hollows, I've had my eyes on a $600 Sheraton 2 (I hear the elitist $1600 Epiphone Sheraton and Dot are worth the money though, but I'd have to handle them first to bite that), but a Dot goes for between $240 and $400. Places like Agile Guitars are said to make some real quality stuff for around $800 or so too.

Electrics aren't acoustics. They neither sound nor feel nothing alike.

Changed my mind about what i was originally going to say, however, bluefox, before you dole out advice, play longer than a month please. Also, I have an Ibanez Acoustic guitar, and I love the tone on it. Got it two years ago, and haven't looked back. It's really all up to your own personal preference as to what you yourself want. However, as I've learned over the years, you're looking for good action and tight tone.

bluefox, before you dole out advice, play longer than a month please.

The only real advice I gave was that truss rod adjustment does indeed fix neck bow (it's, in fact, what you're supposed to do for that); and that acoustics aren't electrics. The rest was pretty anecdotal.

What kind of Ibanez you got anyway? Like I said, the only one I've got to see was a really nice sounding acoustic-electric with a cut.

i have a fender stratocaster "squire" with 3 pickups. it gets the job done! my girlfriend boutght it for me so i dont know how much it costs but im sure you can get a used one if anything for pretty cheap!

The best squier strat seems to be the Vintage Modified for $250; but we're trying to talk about acoustics here :s