CRAZY East West Deal! Buy 1 Get 1 Free!

If you've ever had your eye on any of the East West stuff out there (which is some of the best stuff you can get) but just couldn't bring yourself to splurge on the prices, here's your change to justify at least ONE large purchase.

Eastwest 20th Anniversary Buy One Get One FREE Sale!

Happy Birthday to EastWest! We’re celebrating our 20th Anniversary with our biggest promotion ever!

Buy one qualifying EastWest product and get one of equal or lesser value, FREE!!!

http://www.soundsonline.com/Anniversary-Sale-p-208.html

and here's the rebate form with all the details:

http://images.guitarcenter.com/downloads/633437925498497876.pdf

Also, remember that if you buy it, try to go through the OCR shop, so you can help the site out as well! And remember, you only have until April 24th, so GET TO IT!

*EDIT*

This month at Guitar Center, same deal is going on. Deal lasts until 6/30/08!

What's the point of going through the OCR shop? Do we get a discount?

I'd personally go through some of my ReMixer friends who work in these places and help them out with commission, not to mention get their employee discount and whatever else they can throw at me. But thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to pick something up!

I'm wondering if EWQLSO Silver edition is worth getting, or if I'd be better off with the Gold edition. I've wanted to get the Gold edition for a while, but it's a little out of my price range. I'm considering getting Stormdrum though, so I figured the Silver edition might not be a bad idea since it'd be free. Is there any major benefit to getting the gold edition instead? I find it hard to believe I could go wrong if it's free, but if Gold is substantially better...

Arghh, I'm starting to ramble.

Thanks Zircon. I may go with the silver edition afterall. Either that or see if I'm willing to dig a little deeper into the old bank account to grab the gold bundle and then get Stormdrum for free. I'll think about it for a bit once I get through my exams in the next couple of days. No need to decide this minute I suppose.

If you're just starting out, silver is a great pickup. However, it's readily noticeable in orchestral-only pieces; it takes a bit of work to get it sounding halfway realistic. The thing I love about it, though, is that it mixes very well in an electro-orchestral style (i.e. with Stormdrum.)

Also, I'm pretty sure you can upgrade to gold at a reduced price in the future, although I don't know if this 2 for 1 deal will negate that.

I agree with the assessment about EWQLSO Silver. You can't go wrong with that purchase, and it's worth getting the expansion as well. While there are some samples that aren't the greatest, there are others that I find to be excellent. Among my favorites are some of the trombone samples, the piano (Steinway if I remember correctly), and it has decent percussion. Silver is a good library to start with, and I've had absolutely no problems using it on my Toshiba laptop with a 1.73 GHz Centrino processor and 2GB RAM.

I was thinking about getting VSL SE sometime in the not too distant future, but I may just spring for an EWQLSO Gold/Symphonic Choirs combo. Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: I take it the rebate form means that you don't actually have to buy directly from East West?

Doh! They've just released a set of extended articulations for VSL SE which can be bought bundled with the base library for $850. Perhaps I'll hold out for that.

Well, since so many of you recommended the silver edition and after checking out a few reviews online (and since it's free) I grabbed that and Stormdrum. I think the gold definitely would have been a little too pricey right now, so I figure I'll work with the silver edition for a while and upgrade when I'm able/want to.

God damnit, this deal was announced just AFTER I got Gypsy.

:(

Ouch, bummer man. Maybe you should call them. The same thing happened to me with my IK multimedia purchase, but I called them, and they were gracious enough to send me a DL link.

Also, remember, you should either try to buy through site, or like Snappleman suggests, try to hook us music-employee people up so we can get some extra $$$. If you live in states, and you're going to buy one from Guitar Center, let me know before you do. If you hook me up, I'll donate half of whatever I get to the site.

How do the EWQLSO bundles work with your DAW? Do they come with any sort of VST or is it just samples and I'd need to purchase a sampler like Kontakt? What's the cheapest way to use these samples fairly easily?

Edit: Never mind, found it on the site that it comes with Kompakt, I'll replace my question with one about that, what can kompakt do? Or is it just a basic sampler? For a point of reference how does it stack up against Direct Wave? Oh, and what would happen if you bought an expansion EWQLSO without the original? Thanks.

How do the EWQLSO bundles work with your DAW? Do they come with any sort of VST or is it just samples and I'd need to purchase a sampler like Kontakt? What's the cheapest way to use these samples fairly easily?

Edit: Never mind, found it on the site that it comes with Kompakt, I'll replace my question with one about that, what can kompakt do? Or is it just a basic sampler? For a point of reference how does it stack up against Direct Wave? Oh, and what would happen if you bought an expansion EWQLSO without the original? Thanks.

It's a step above Direct Wave, I'd say. DW is really easy to use, but while Kontakt's learning curve might be a bit higher, it's still arguably one of the best and most recognized samplers in the industry. I will say that Direct Wave has shown some nice improvements since it's first incarnation.

And yes, it should work fine with most if not any DAW that supports the standard formats. (VST, RTAS, AU, etc etc etc)

Kompakt has some great features but nothing I'd want to use unless I was forced (like in the case of anything that comes bundled with it). You can't use the samples with anything else, they're packed in .lib files which you can't use with anything but that version of kompakt. So even getting full version Kontakt wont let you use your EWQLSO samples with it. The EWQLSO expansions require the original version to run.

which one are you trying? I have silver and I can run it fine in Kontakt 2.

I think I had this problem before and you get around it by running the stand alone first then loading it in kontakt 2. Do you know how to search using kontakt 2 and add the multis to whatever it is called (database?)

If not then I don't know what to say.