Studio Quality Headphones

Darth Lime

Currently, my Sennheiser HD 201 headphones are experiencing a rattle sound during heavy bass in the right ear. I am wondering what type of over or around ear headphones your guys recommend. Price is a problem since I don't want to spend a lot of money on a pair that would make me really sad/mad if they broke.

Price range is $20-$40

Thank you.

You're gonna have to go at least over $50-60 for "studio quality."

I got my AKG K240s on eBay for about $85 and they've been pretty reliable so far.

Well maybe not "studio quality" but somewhere close enough. I like good bass and relatively good noise cancellation.

"Studio quality" headphones aren't necessarily supposed to sound "good," but "accurate." The last thing you want while mixing tracks is an over-emphasized bass response.

Sounds like you just want a nice pair of headphones for listening to music, in which case you'll probably be fine just picking up a pair in the price range you said at Best Buy or maybe even Wal-mart. Sorry, I can't recommend a specific pair cause' my ATH-M40fs is really all I've used and that's way over your price range (not to mention a flat response curve, so no added bass at all).

I use a pair of "Sony MDR-V150"s when I broadcast, and the sound quality is decent (but probably not as high as you'd like), and the noise cancellation is alright. These things are kinda on the cheaper end of things, so they'll run you about $20-$25...but they've held up well for me. Most of my friends that use them tell me that they break after about a year and a half of heavy use.

DJ Metal

"Studio quality" headphones aren't necessarily supposed to sound "good," but "accurate." The last thing you want while mixing tracks is an over-emphasized bass response.

Sounds like you just want a nice pair of headphones for listening to music, in which case you'll probably be fine just picking up a pair in the price range you said at Best Buy or maybe even Wal-mart. Sorry, I can't recommend a specific pair cause' my ATH-M40fs is really all I've used and that's way over your price range (not to mention a flat response curve, so no added bass at all).

YES! Thats it. Should have mentioned I use them heavily for music and games. Of course I'd rather not support big-business.

Sennheiser. Why bother with anything else? Their cheap stuff is very good quality. Save up a bit more and get something decent
Yes, their cheap stuff is good quality. I just was wondering if there was other brands out there that is just that good at that same price.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155540-KSC75-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K/ref=pd_sbs_ce_title_11

For general listening, I highly reccomend these. Yes, I know they're only $17, but they really are great headphones, and they're one of the best pairs I have. If nothing else, for this cheap, it's worth it to just give them a listen. I've done some mixing on them and they seem to work ok, but I usually go back to my monitors when I'm doing anything serious, so take that as you will.