New Video Card Runs REALLY REALLY REALLY HOT

atmuh

ok so i just got a radeon hd 4870 which i must say everything looks REALLY pretty but there is a pretty huge problem

the thing REALLY COOKS and i mean REALLY

i had it on for about 15 minutes before played 3 minutes of hl2 and 3 minutes of trackmania and afterwards i turned off my comp and felt the card and it was hot enough to burn my hand if i left it there

how do i cool card

whee crosspost from remod

uh guys this thing REALLY cooks

uh

i could fry an egg on it

i think that is problem dont you

Fan speed control is messed up in the current drivers. Download rivatuner:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

and use it to control the fan speeds manually. Usually you can get away with 70% speed at load and 30-40% speed at idle, use the temp measurements that rivatuner has to judge what speeds you need.

Solution: don't feel the card. 80C is normal operating temperature under load, which translates to 176F.

God, video cards are really starting to run hot these days....for my 8800gt, its rare for it to break 60C, last time it did it was 30C in my room....to damn hot to be in my room playing games...

for my 8800gt, its rare for it to break 60C, last time it did it was 30C in my room....to damn hot to be in my room playing games...

Before I bought slot blowers for my 8800GT's, both of them would routinely idle at 72C and hit 85C on full load. That's "normal."

this has become a problem!

when im playing tf2 it will randomly go from 100fps to 1fps and id imagine its because its really hot in my room

my card isnt compatible with rivatuner yet so i cant up the fan speed

So it turns out that the reason the HD4850 and HD4870 run in the high 80s at idle is because the PowerPlay downclocking function that was introduced in the HD3xxx series has been moved from a 64kb BIOS to a 128kb BIOS due to GDDR5. The current BIOS has issues with this, and so do the drivers. As a result, the cards run needlessly high clock speeds and voltages during idle (500 core, 750 mem) so they get really hot.

Hopefully ATI will get off their asses soon and fix this.

• 2 weeks later...