OCR on OurStage (July) -Thanks for the votes!

zircon

Bah. I was able to get in a little Finals judging after midnight last night, but I didn't get home 'til 11:30 tonight. Managed to get in only 100 or so.

zircon/pixietricks' songs came up just a handful of times. Found a couple new songs to favorite while I was at it. KF

It's cool, Kizyr. This month was much tougher, for a number of reasons (I'm guessing) -

1. Better songs overall.

2. The songs in popular genres had more mass appeal and tighter hooks. The #1 track was really great.

3. BYI had a long intro, and ROMance was in Comedy, a genre that I'm sure some people looked down on.

4. More people voting overall (eg. more competition - less influence of individual votes.)

It's also interesting to note that Daniel Palmer, one of the OurStage staff members, said that honest voting increases influence. In other words, voting just SAME on everything and BY FAR for certain songs means your votes don't count as much. He elaborated more, but basically said you need to thoughtfully listen to all songs, have preferences, and be honest. Perhaps it detects if you are obviously favoring a single song over and over?

Anyway, I really appreciate all the support - not just for me, but for all OCR artists this month. Best of luck to everyone this month; the song limit is now three per artist, so it should be interesting to see where this goes.

Yeah, I remember hearing the first 15 seconds of both ROMance and Breathing You In and thinking that might be a real handicap this time around. I tend to listen to the first 10-20 seconds and then skip to the middle to hear how it sounds later on, but, I don't imagine most folks do that.

I do like the judging system overall (particularly the "battle" setup, as it encourages a lot more honest assessments), but I think songs with really good lyrics are at a bit of a disadvantage. I can't think of any way around that, though. Also, by the finals stage, a good portion of it I think ends up being genre vs genre.

It's also interesting to note that Daniel Palmer, one of the OurStage staff members, said that honest voting increases influence. In other words, voting just SAME on everything and BY FAR for certain songs means your votes don't count as much. He elaborated more, but basically said you need to thoughtfully listen to all songs, have preferences, and be honest. Perhaps it detects if you are obviously favoring a single song over and over?

As a statistician I'd be a bit interested in knowing more about this (though for obvious reasons I wouldn't expect him to divulge too much detail). It sounds like a way of weighting someone's votes based on how they tend to vote in general. So if you just vote at the extremes one way or the other, your votes could have a lower weight; if you use the middle categories more, then voting for the extreme ends would carry more weight.

HotOrNot actually uses a similar algorithm to correct for people's voting styles. KF

I tend to listen to the first 10-20 seconds and then skip to the middle to hear how it sounds later on, but, I don't imagine most folks do that.

A lot of labels don't do that either. If a demo tape doesn't grab their attention within the first, say, 30 seconds, they'll just toss it and keep going through the demo pile for something interesting.