Dragonforce

Devyn

Animus ohoho

animus1mv7.jpg

Rim%20Shot%20Johnny%20Utah.jpg

Dragonforce is okay. They're fun to listen to sometimes and they can get you excited. However they fall pretty hard due to a couple of failings.

1- Live shows are ass because Herman Li and Herman Li's Clone are good guitarists but their albums are 90% synth and studio alterations.

2- 15 year old kids who play TTFATF on repeat ever since GH3 touting how Li is the 'greatest guitarist ever' when they could have gone one game prior and noticed how awesome Buckethead is, especially live.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jBaM_Uw-3WY

But Mirai, you might say, all sorts of guitarists can play that!

Yes, that may be true, but how many of them not only compose that, but start a show by wielding nunchauku and dancing the robot before composing a shredding solo on the spot?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz9FKIIaoQU

3- The mad rush to have everyone jump up and hate on them for being overrated, because nothing irks me more than completely justifiable dislike of a band that gets muddled in a sea of "DRAGONFORCE SUCKS ASS11!!!!!!11ten!11"

Screamo

-4/4 with a couple of common back beats

-Whiney singers, sometimes with a bit of harmony thrown in

-Substandard guitar, not passing off the skills of the guitarist, but they

rarely show it.

-Whiney lyrics complaining about "how they didnt get the girl" or how "they

hate their parents"

Hah! Except for point #1 you're almost ready to describe Nickelback.

1- Live shows are ass because Herman Li and Herman Li's Clone are good guitarists but their albums are 90% synth and studio alterations.

Ah. Nothing like a little validation. I think some posters owe me an apology (if something like that exists on the internet, that is).

Well like I said, they're great guitarists but I get tired of being told how amazing they are based on the album release.

That's like, oh man, N-Sync is great! They're the best singers ever! Except they suck live because there's no computers to autocorrect their voice when they go off-key. But they're still the best singers in the world!

Now do you understand how silly this kind of logic is?

I like listening to Dragonforce too but I'll be damned if anyone is going to try and convince me that Herman Li is anything more than good-to-okay.

That's like, oh man, N-Sync is great! They're the best singers ever! Except they suck live because there's no computers to autocorrect their voice when they go off-key. But they're still the best singers in the world!

Now do you understand how silly this kind of logic is?

studio alterations don't really make a band bad, it just means they suck live

and fyi the only bands/people I have ever seen play just as good live as on the album is Muse and Buckethead

The Protomen!

Jesus fuck yes Protomen.

studio alterations don't really make a band bad, it just means they suck live

It wasn't that, it was the absurdity in spouting how great Dragonforce is when half of the stuff people attribute to Herman Li's shredding is actually just them mashing around in the studio room.

I laugh at how you pass off Progressive rock and then say that screamo is pretty decent. Lets compare the too.

Progressive Rock(not new prog rock, im talking 60s-80s)

-As you've mentioned, complexed and different time signatures

-Long songs which most of the time have constant change

-A large array of instruments from theramins to sitars and who knows what.

-Talented musicians

-Lyrics similar to poetry.

Screamo

-4/4 with a couple of common back beats

-Whiney singers, sometimes with a bit of harmony thrown in

-Substandard guitar, not passing off the skills of the guitarist, but they

rarely show it.

-Whiney lyrics complaining about "how they didnt get the girl" or how "they

hate their parents"

yeh......

I laugh at you because you took the time to write that as a response to a sarcastic post :]

Edit: Though I do like how the points you summed up for prog rock, maybe with the exception of 'talented musicians', really aren't positive at all, skill at instrument =/= good music.

skill at instrument =/= good music.

I have a problem with this part of your post because that's saying as if a toddler actually makes good music just smacking around some pots and pans...

The sad thing about that is the toddler making all the noise actually sounds BETTER than the screamofgts as they do not bitch and moan about bullshit problems people can find strength in to surpass... >:L

Skillful musicians usually do equate to good music, the real issue is personal preference. :)!!

I have a problem with this part of your post because that's saying as if a toddler actually makes good music just smacking around some pots and pans...

I do believe he is saying that it takes more than a mastery of an instrument to compose music, not that all good music is from mediocore players. Just because you're good at piano, doesn't mean you are the new-age Chopin.

Lot's of bands just can't cut it live, and Dragonforce is no different. Great to listen to on the album, but that's about it. Another prime example would be (and watch me get flamed for this) Dir En Grey. Incredible band, but Kyo needs to stop smoking like a freight train so he can not suck live. And no, screaming until you end up in the ER for inflammation of the vocal cords does not make up for it.

Ok, if you are a professional touring band that has a record label contract and a few releases under your belt, there is really no reason why you should suck live as bad as dragonforce. I had to sit through their abortion of a set a couple years ago and all it was was a jumbled mess of drunkeness and sloppy guitar playing. Hell, compared to dragonforce, killswitch engage, which headlined the show, was damn near perfect note for note, and Im not even a big KSE fan.

But seriously, if you are a band that can only cut it in the studio with pro tools, there is no reason to go on the road other than a small bar/club tour. Dragonforce is essentially the boy band of cheesy prog rock/metal today, and they are also pretty much suffering from AC/DCitis. I think Ive heard every song theyve ever done the first song I ever heard.

Point being, worst band Ive ever seen live, and Ive seen some shitty as grindcore bands. So yeah.

I do believe he is saying that it takes more than a mastery of an instrument to compose music, not that all good music is from mediocore players. Just because you're good at piano, doesn't mean you are the new-age Chopin.

That does well for me in the case of music playing, music composing I agree isn't always a result of musicians being good at playing instruments.