Brutal Death Metal

Darth Lime

I've never been a fan of death metal. I like my awesome music to have an awesome message accompany it. Which is why I prefer Christian metal. Haste The Day, As I Lay Dying, Still Remains, Demon Hunter, etc.

Satan is full of awesome! :razz:

Grindcore: Brutal Truth - Dead Smart

Brutal Death Metal: Nile - Sacrifice Unto Sebek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MH4P2WudnY

Honestly, the distinction between grindcore and brutal death metal can definitely blur. That right there can bring about moments of splitting hairs.

Its not necessarily the lyrical content that I like. If its beyond what I define as brutal, than I will listen to it, regardless of the lyrical content.

But if its all just "do this way, its the greatest, blah blah blah" subliminal messaging, then I won't listen to it.

Also, there has to be a certain level of brutality within the bands skill as musicians. If they can suddenly play insanely slow or ungodly fast, wow. Drums and guitar are a must in that field. Slow growls and/or squealing works too.

I don't really listen to metal for the lyrical content. There are some bands whose views don't bother me and some that do (Arghoslent) and yet they are talented musicians.

Brutal death metal ranges in lyrical content from anti-Christian/religion to ancient Egypt to horror, blood and guts and even socio-political topics as well. I believe some even have a science fiction slant as well.

That's true. Cattle Decapitation, perhaps contrary to their name might indicate, have lots of lyrics about vegetarianism (as all the members are vegan or something?)

As for genre splitting, it's useful to an extent. Same goes for genres of electronic music. House is different to breakcore is different to goa is different to ambient is different to trance is different to breaks. ;)

Hey now, lets not turn this into Jesus metal vs Satan metal.

What are your thoughts on bands who change their lead vocalist? I know a famous vocalist change was with Arch Enemy, who went from a male vocalist to a female one.

Haste The Day changed their lead vocalist and they got better. Killswitch Engage changed their lead vocalist and they got better. The Vandals changed their lead vocalist, and they got better.

Usually, it's for the best. But there will always be die-hards that whine.

What about changes in musicians? Drummer, guitar, bass, etc. Do you notice it or did you have to REALLY listen to it to say "hey, they did change someone".

Into Eternity changed drummers for their new album and I was like WHOA. Only took a few shorts seconds for me to realize the drummer was different.

On the other hand, I saw them live last weekend and the new drummer played the (far more interesting and arguably more challenging, IMO) drum parts of the Scattering of Ashes album nearly flawlessly.

Probably the most frustrating change recently was the loss of A.J. Minette from The Human Abstract. The sound changed so completely to the point where I find their latest album pretty well unlistenable.

I like death metal, but I'm not that familiar with it. Though I REALLY like it when death metal bands throw in some variety and incorporate other genres into their music, rather than just constant wall-o-sound (which is pretty cool too... just not as cool).

I like death metal, but I'm not that familiar with it. Though I REALLY like it when death metal bands throw in some variety and incorporate other genres into their music, rather than just constant wall-o-sound (which is pretty cool too... just not as cool).

The band Atheist does a great job there. It's basically thrash/death metal with some jazz influences. On their last album, Elements, they event have a samba style song.

Disillusion and Opeth are other bands with some death metal influence that incorporate various styles. Probably the masters of mixing genres is Waltari at least on their album Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die! A Death Metal Symphony In Deep C. They mix in orchestral with death metal and there's even some rapping going on. I liked it up until that point.

As far as members changing in bands I sometimes notice the change. Like for Opeth, I noticed drummer Martin Lopez's departure on the album Watershed. Lopez is characterized for having a variety of fills and performing odd time signatures. Despite how long Opeth's songs typically are, he managed to keep things interesting with the drums. Other bands that I did not notice the change are Iced Earth and Death. Though that could be that the two bands have one constant member who is also the core songwriter. Having a singular vision would help in the cohesion of the band whereas if you have almost a democratic process for a band and it's revolving door members then the style can dramatically change.

On the topic of Arch Enemy going from Johan Axelsson to Angela Gossow, I personally like her more. She has a more guttural approach that sounds more death metal. Axelsson's reminds more of a hardcore/barking approach. However I prefer the Amott brothers guitar work on albums previous of Wages of Sin. Rise of the Tyrant was a pretty fantastic in my eyes however.

On the topic of Arch Enemy going from Johan Axelsson to Angela Gossow, I personally like her more. She has a more guttural approach that sounds more death metal. Axelsson's reminds more of a hardcore/barking approach. However I prefer the Amott brothers guitar work on albums previous of Wages of Sin. Rise of the Tyrant was a pretty fantastic in my eyes however.

I think Axelsson's approach worked quite well with the style of melodeath that Arch Enemy played. It may not sound as brutal as Gassow's guttural growls, but Axelsson (and Thomas Lindberg of At the Gates also had a similar quality despite having completely different sounding vocals) have a sort of higher-pitched, barked voice that sounds almost tormented. Even hardcore vocalists don't sound quite like it, and that's what I love about Axelsson's/Lindbergs vocals.

I agree with everything you said about Gassow etc. I've seen her getting a lot of hate lately but I don't agree with most people that she's as terrible as they say.

Depends on the breakdown. Some bands abuse it *cough* Unearth *cough* some are awesome like in some of Slayer's music.

I thought this thread was about brutal death metal or has it changed to a general metal thread?

Its all metal now it seems.

And Unearth uses the same breakdown ever song it seems.