Super Metroid 'Brinstar (Not Quite Klute Mix) [UPDATE: 2/2]

The Vagrance

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/rkzj/Super-MEtroid-rEmix-2

I originally meant to do this for the bLiNd remix project but couldn't get it in on time, so now I'm taking my sweet time on this making it as good as possible. Its done in a very Klute style, only with fewer Amen breaks. I know someone will mention the intro but its supposed to be that long, its Drum and Bass and those tracks always have 48-64 bars of intro. Besides, the track sounds kind of neutered without it.

9/30/08 - 10/01/08 http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/wycb/Super-MEtroid-rEmix-2

NEWEST VERSION:

2/2/09 http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?r1ymr2nzhnx

The source for the tune is:

The starting feels very Metroid Prime ish :D Nice touch there. Love the beat and drum samples. I assume that you'll tweak the EQ once you're done,as there is some mud/clipping issues (some). Over all, I think that this interpretation is pretty solid.

Though can you please put in the low cello hits that the original has? They'd really help to support the bassline.

Hope to see this finished and submitted :)

Looks like you've got a waaay low... something, even before the bass comes in. You might want to cut that, it could interfare with your master compression or frequency balance.

0:51... ouch. Some clashing in the effect on the melody. The melody itself could use some variation. Progression is quite similar to source too, annoyingly so at 1:52-2:14.

Choir could be stereo spread, that could give it a grander sound without needing more volume. Bass in the beats could be stronger. I also hear occasional clicks that bother me. Also, the voice clip feels very redundant.

As for the intro... it didn't bother me the least. :P I might not understand DnB that well, so there's little more I can say. It's enjoyable, there's source, and there's interpretation. Good stuff.

Also, the voice clip feels very redundant.

God yes, get rid of that.

Very fat low-end here, and I (and my subwoofer) love it.

Two things I'd like you to do with this mix:

1:07 is a little, how should I say it, hard. The "instrument" playing until 1:18 can get really, really grating and annoying. It's not as bad later on when it's part of a fuller soundscape, but it's pretty annoying when it first comes in.

Second, I think this could benefit from a very basic breakdown. No extras at all, just the Brinstar melody playing. Though, maybe some ambient noises would go well with that, too.

• 2 weeks later...
The starting feels very Metroid Prime ish :D Nice touch there. Love the beat and drum samples. I assume that you'll tweak the EQ once you're done,as there is some mud/clipping issues (some). Over all, I think that this interpretation is pretty solid.

Thanks. Yeah, this is definitely a rough mix and should get tighter as I keep plucking away on it.

Though can you please put in the low cello hits that the original has? They'd really help to support the bassline.

My rule on suggestions is to always try them out first, so I'll try it and see, that said, I'd only do it on the "organic part of the song".

(Ok, explanation, my entire idea for this remix was going to try to create a mix of "organic" and "synthetic", with the organic parts being those where its mainly the 808s as a bassline with the pad going fairly smoothly, and the synthetic part being where everything gets chaotic with the reese and all. I also wanted the more organic parts to represent exploration in Metroid, where its all about discovery, while the synthetic parts would be the battles that are interspersed in the discovery. Overbearing, yes, but I like it).

Looks like you've got a waaay low... something, even before the bass comes in. You might want to cut that, it could interfare with your master compression or frequency balance.

I actually can't hear it with the subs I have. I can see it on a frequency monitor, and I can just high pass it at like, 25Hz but I'm not sure exactly as to what is causing it.

0:51... ouch. Some clashing in the effect on the melody. The melody itself could use some variation. Progression is quite similar to source too, annoyingly so at 1:52-2:14.

Noted and noted. I've tried easing up the volume when the melody comes in and I've added another 32 bars to help keep the progression from becoming too stale.

Choir could be stereo spread, that could give it a grander sound without needing more volume. Bass in the beats could be stronger. I also hear occasional clicks that bother me. Also, the voice clip feels very redundant.

Voice clip at the end is out, but I kinda like the voices dispersed throughout the mix.

Very fat low-end here, and I (and my subwoofer) love it.

Thank you, that was the point.

Two things I'd like you to do with this mix:

1:07 is a little, how should I say it, hard. The "instrument" playing until 1:18 can get really, really grating and annoying. It's not as bad later on when it's part of a fuller soundscape, but it's pretty annoying when it first comes in.

Second, I think this could benefit from a very basic breakdown. No extras at all, just the Brinstar melody playing. Though, maybe some ambient noises would go well with that, too.

I'm working on the problem of the melody synth being boring, but I'm having trouble coming up with stuff, I think I have an idea though. The breakdown idea I kinda dig, but possibly not in the same context you are thinking. I'm sure the result will be pleasant though.

This is pretty cool overall. Sort of disappointing that the main Brinstar melody never comes in. Not a whole lot to say...except sounds like a wrong note at 1:10 so you might want to take a look at that.

Newest version has a bit more of the source in it, but not much. Also, the wrong note kinda seems unpossible considering I just looped the same 2-bar pattern over and over again.

Thank you all for the comments. I have a slightly updated version below, but I'm still working on it so don't worry.

Ouch, the hats!

Weird noise at 0:33, but it seems like it's intentional.

Well, it's certainly improved since last version.

2:40-2:59 is straight from source. It's abit annoying, but I doubt it's gonna be in the way of the track getting YESed.

I have an idea for the ending. You had a reverse-ish sound something in the track. it might work well for the ending.

Not much more I can help you with here. The dnb ppl can probably still spot things you can improve on. Good work.

• 4 weeks later...

I've minorly updated it. I've had a crapload of stuff going on this month though as I'm still in high school but I'm taking 4 APs and 2 college classes on top. In addition, this month has had a lot of senior trips and other various activities that beckon entire days.

Excuses aside, its still alive; just moving slowly.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zxwzh3wzfoz

Trying to off any VGRemixes I haven't finished this weekend, including this one which is one of my favorites. Added a lot and the arrangement is pretty much finished, so hear it all for yourself.

I kinda hate that I now have two songs with rap breakdowns but this one feels better than the Zelda one, I must say. The breakdown is inspired a lot by the Prefuse 73 song "Life/Death" which features Mikah 9, which can be heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4O6BYW0YBQ

Interesting that this was for BliNd, 'cause he did this very song for his own album (and it's great... of course :P).

Interpretation is great, but it may just be a little bit on the liberal side. The chords are from the source, as well as some of the texture pieces that are there, but that's all I hear right now.

The hats are a little grating in the begining. Turn them down and they'll be just fine.

Perhaps it's just the style (as I'm no expert in DnB), but it doesn't sound like you fill the soundscape well enough. There are sections that fill it out, for sure, but in general it sounds empty to me. I'm missing the middle of the scape, in general, because the high and low portions are covered pretty well. Again, perhaps it's just the style...

The synth sample that you use for the swells sounds odd... It may be the release on it. It's good for an effect, but not as much for something that carries the song all the way.

Otherwise, sounds great. I like the beat to this, and the interpretation is very different (which is good for a song like this :)). The singing at the end adds something that I can't describe, but it's good. Keep this one up - I'll be listening for updates :)

Interpretation is great, but it may just be a little bit on the liberal side. The chords are from the source, as well as some of the texture pieces that are there, but that's all I hear right now.

A lot of that is just because most of the melody came from the bassline, which I really didn't want to use.

Perhaps it's just the style (as I'm no expert in DnB), but it doesn't sound like you fill the soundscape well enough. There are sections that fill it out, for sure, but in general it sounds empty to me. I'm missing the middle of the scape, in general, because the high and low portions are covered pretty well. Again, perhaps it's just the style...

Yeah, I kind of had that feeling at one point as well (second drop, after the reese where ts the 808 kicks for bass), I may try to add a techy edge to this...

The synth sample that you use for the swells sounds odd... It may be the release on it. It's good for an effect, but not as much for something that carries the song all the way.

Well during the intro it is sidechained to every other beat. Also, there really is no release on it as they are all being triggered as samples. It never really bothered me but I may look into it.

Otherwise, sounds great. I like the beat to this, and the interpretation is very different (which is good for a song like this :)). The singing at the end adds something that I can't describe, but it's good. Keep this one up - I'll be listening for updates :)

Singing at the end?

This was pretty dope I love that pad noise you have playing through the course of the song. As Gario said though it sounded empty at times and I really wasn't feelin the vocals with this piece it coulda just been the effects you decided to use like the stuttering in some of the parts not all just some. Other than that I like this a lot a lot lol.

Edit: I hope that was a decent critique seein as how I don't do this often because I'm still a nub lol.

I think he's just saying he likes it, he wants to see it in Super Metroid when he plays it. Facetious praise.

1:45-3:25 - Vicious drum arrangement keeps the song going, bass synth csontrols the atmosphere, lead synth pops in every so often and guides the song along...awesome. The voicework does fit better here than in the TP song starting at 3:25.

I'm not a tremendous fan of non-traditional voicework, but you set up the song in a way that makes your voice fit, and the sampling you do with it fits pretty well later in the song. And it does help break up the song a bit.

Good shit. Love your synths and drumwork.

Diggin' the vocal sample at ~0:34/1:05; more of that, please.

I still think you need to vary the source tune playing in the background a little more, especially in the first half of the remix. Your own work that plays over it is absolutely amazing and very interesting to listen to, but the constant, identical background drags this remix down a bit.

And if you add in some rap, for gods sake, keep it free of name-drops. No Alan Greenspan in this one. The lyrics still in place at 3:50 sound good, btw.

Also, the wrong note kinda seems unpossible considering I just looped the same 2-bar pattern over and over again.

the note at 1:11 still bugs me (it's in the bass, not the loop) but you don't seem to mind so i won't press the issue.

i don't know a whole lot about drum and bass, so it's hard for me to comment on the form of the mix. that said...

i feel like the transition at 2:37-38 (is it a transition?) could be a little longer to make the distinction between the two sections clearer. the part starting at 2:38 is a bit meandering. when the brinstar arp type thing comes back around 3:15 it gives the impression that you're returning to the first part again (i.e. the source), but when 3:45 comes in and it just sort of disappears...also i think the vocals could be more effective if it was expanded on (like maybe a verse? was there one before?) at the section starting at 4:12 because 3:45 is so brief and you use it pretty sparsely.

anyways like i said i don't know what i'm talking about when it comes to drum and bass, so i don't know how useful any of that is. it's a good mix though.