What computer/Com-type to buy for remixing purpose

if you're recording audio, PCs arent a bad deal. Adobe Audition can get you by a great deal combined with FL. I've recorded buttloads of demos and, after several years of learning how to play, theory, etc., I managed to pull out some decent quality demos. Mind you it won't always sound pro. IF you want the tech needed for that sort of thing, prepare to pay through the nose.

For laptops: whatever laptop you get. DO NOT GET A THINK PAD! I repeat. DO NOT GET A THINK PAD! Horrible laptop.

For Apple, I love using Logic in sound design class. And it's good for audio and midi. and i didnt know you can make it so the piano roll is similar to FL. That makes me want an iMac even more. Oh and for those who think Logic is overrated? Logic 8 has a killer library of sounds. even the lighter versions of Logic has hella stuff to play with. It's too bad I dont own it. I'd never leave the house.

• 3 weeks later...
so what would be a good desktop pc setup, specs wise? i'm in the market for a new piece

The question is meaningless without a specified amount of money. As a number, not "cheap" or "well, not too expensive".

See also http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200809.ars to get an idea. Be cheap on the graphics card (dual monitor is the only thing you have to do) and invest what you save in a quiet case and better specs.

To find out which sequencer software, first start downloading demos of everything you can get your hands on.

Plonking down cash on Cubase Studio 4 is useless if the program doesn't match your workflow.

Also, I'd argue that $2K may even be too much; what you spend extra will be gone up in smoke next year. Also, you might want to wait until the Core i7's gone more mainstream.

To find out which sequencer software, first start downloading demos of everything you can get your hands on.

Plonking down cash on Cubase Studio 4 is useless if the program doesn't match your workflow.

Also, I'd argue that $2K may even be too much; what you spend extra will be gone up in smoke next year. Also, you might want to wait until the Core i7's gone more mainstream.

Seconded... $2000 is more than you need for a killer music box. I would wait for i7 prices to come down too, then invest in a model that's towards the top of the line, eg. in the $300-350 range. Solid state drives may be cheaper as well.

so what would be a good desktop pc setup, specs wise? i'm in the market for a new piece

just thought i would chime in

i think this is a very important question Red9 asked - in terms of, what are the ideal specs to get a computer at to start recording. i have only dealt with macs so i can't really offer much advice. But as long as you have a decent chip (2.4 and up), enough ram (2 gigs is minimum), and a decent interface (really should be firewire), i think your off to a good start.

and as for waiting - sure prices will go down (they will always go down!) i waited 6-8 months for my mac - and waiting sucks. i would just go out and get a system and enjoy it.

well it's not to say that I want to spend 2k on a machine, it's more of thats my limit on the system itself(monitors, periphirals, speakers). also is the i7 920 processor too much for this type of software or would it be better if i did get that?