OC ReMix StarCraft Tournament! Round 2 Begins! See Page 18

Garian

Who won? Would love to check out the replay.

Seeing as I don't think the vods will come soon, it was FriendlyWarlord in game 3. I was a lame duck in game 1, and i squeezed out a win in game 2, but game 3 was where it was at.

If only I had better micro vs storm. :)

PM me your email address and I'll send you the replays.

Well, the tournament's over, but the OCR SC irc channel #ocrsc on irc.enterthegame.com is still around. And there may or may not be casting for the tournament's final matches, but it's already been a while since they've been played.

(And watching the replay for the final match, it looks a lot more one-sided than it seemed during the game... only the sides do switch on at least one occasion =p)

Well, I thought I was the worst ever at StarCraft, but after three months of practice and watching some pro videos, I managed to beat my only two opponents in the tournament. I recently started ICCUP and played a couple dozen ICCUP games, and I'm hovering between D- and D with a ~25% win ratio. And I have no clue what my APM is, but I'm sure it's quite low. So, chances are you'll fit right in ^_^

Although, the two best players in the tournament weren't available to play, and they probably would've mopped the floor with me given the chance. If I'm lucky maybe I'll find Battousai or Nekofrog in the irc channel some day and we can play some matches =D

hey guys, brushfire agreed to cast with tensei if we had videos recorded of the replays. i'd rather one of you two do the recording so that the commentary remains funky fresh and the results aren't spoiled for everyone, but i might be able to figure something out soon enough. the only issue afterward would be streaming the video to both guys for recording and reacting to one another but we can cross that hurdle sooner or later.

also the second tournament should NOT be run by me, i'm terrible at managing my time... but i suppose i could do it :V

hey guys, brushfire agreed to cast with tensei if we had videos recorded of the replays. i'd rather one of you two do the recording so that the commentary remains funky fresh and the results aren't spoiled for everyone, but i might be able to figure something out soon enough. the only issue afterward would be streaming the video to both guys for recording and reacting to one another but we can cross that hurdle sooner or later.

Is that how it was done for the other game that was cast, the video was recorded first? Hmm, might be tricky to figure out what to center the camera on, but technically I can do it. But ideally the casters would want to be able to move the camera wherever they want to see what's actually going on.

Actually, what might work best is if the two casters open the replay in SC and pause it immediately, and then do a countdown in the voice chat - "5, 4, 3, 2, 1, NOW!" and they both start the replay at exactly the same time. That way they'll be able to see what's going on on the entire map, see the players' tech, etc, instead of just where the fights are taking place. But that might be tricky to pull off, because for some stupid reason the replay starts at the "fast" speed instead of "fastest", so the commentators will have to sync their two "speed up" button presses as well. Actually, that'll probably sync it close enough.

And... and then AFTER the commentary's done, someone can record a video of the replay with the audio commentary, starting the replay and turning the speed up at exactly the same time the casters did, and centering the camera on what the casters are actually talking about. Whether it's me or Jade or one of the casters who does this, it doesn't matter, but that would be ideal. Actually, if we get a third (possibly silent) person to join in the casting and hear the live audio, they can record the video DURING the casting.

also the second tournament should NOT be run by me, i'm terrible at managing my time... but i suppose i could do it :V

Haha, I'm terrible at managing my free time, but I'd probably spend TOO MUCH time in this thread if I were to run the competition =p

Yes, but only because I explained it badly, since I came up with the idea as I was typing it and didn't want to erase everything I had typed five times. :nicework: Here's the short version:

1. The 2 casters plus the "camera guy" all fire up the audio chat thingy, one guy does a countdown and everyone starts their replays at exactly the same time.

2. ???

3. Profit!

Even if the video is recorded first, there still needs to be a countdown or syncing of the visuals for all parties involved. The only added complexity of casting inside SC as opposed a pre-recorded video is:

- All parties must pause the replay as soon as it starts (as easy as pressing the pause button on the keyboard)

- Game speed must be changed from "fast" to "fastest" (and that can easily be synced by having multiple small countdowns instead of just one countdown)

And the benefits of this are:

- The casters actually know what's going on in the match and have something to talk about besides terrible terrible damage. This is good, unless the casters want to be just as surprised as I was when JadeAuto ********************************* and *********************.

- Alternatively, the guy recording the video can record the stuff that's good to watch, as opposed to constantly checking out what we're building and researching.

I'm definitely in for the next tournament. I'm still disappointed in myself for losing in the 2nd round, so I want to do better next time. Thanks for your work organizing this tournament, Garian!

And to answer that question, my APM is 90-120 for my main, Protoss, and like 70-80 for the other two races.

yeah i'm absolutely retarded. i think what we'll need to do is have a third party play 'cameraman' and stream the video from their computer through something like VLC to tensei and brushfire, as well as record the stream so we could sync up the commentary with the camera work. alternatively we could record the camerawork before hand but it would take away from some of the spontaneity of a "live recording."

yeah i'm absolutely retarded. i think what we'll need to do is have a third party play 'cameraman' and stream the video from their computer through something like VLC to tensei and brushfire, as well as record the stream so we could sync up the commentary with the camera work. alternatively we could record the camerawork before hand but it would take away from some of the spontaneity of a "live recording."

Naw, I'm just saying that the casters should be able to see whatever they want on the map, as opposed to just the tiny area that the camera guy is recording. Sending or streaming a video of any kind, no matter how live, will not solve this.

Normally I wouldn't care, but that final match makes no damn sense unless you know what's going on behind the scenes, away from the action.

Also I don't want to end up in video-sound-syncing hell; I've been there several times, and it's not pretty. :?

140-160 apm terran, 110-130 zerg/toss

Also I don't know about casting, it seems like too much of a hassle to set up at the moment.

Also you people are thinking too complicated: I can record the replay using aviscreen and just record post-commentary :/

Also brushfire would be a terrible co-commenter because he would just be making fun of me for knowing that much about mechanics.

If I'm lucky maybe I'll find Battousai or Nekofrog in the irc channel some day and we can play some matches =D

Also my Terran is better than both of them >=|