Zelda Darkworld Feedback Please

MX-Z8

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, positive or negative. Thanks

stats.png

Nice, and chilled too. I would change the lead sound though... And it doesn't decay at all. Good for the intro, but when everything else comes in it should have some decay. On your reverb plugin should be a knob for decay, just raise that knob a bit.

Intro is gonna come back and bite you in the ass if you don't do something about it. Your lead is probably the problem, tho the sparse soundscape probably doesn't really help.

Synth jazz ftw. :D I gotta say, I really like your approach with this one, it just needs more complexity imo. More complexity in the writing plz, and you might need more source in the middle of the track anyway, you kind'a just have the backing there. Making it sounds more performed would help, especially on the lead. Oh and watch the bass, it loses its bass frequencies when you take it too high. Towards the end, it sounds like it'd sound better an octave down (and eventually does jump down an octave or so). Nice break near the end.

it's also sounding a little raw and unrefined, but at the same time quite controlled. Dunno what to say, but there's something in the production that bothers me.

This mostly sounds like a genre adaptation with a lot of soloing, needs more of the lead. If I was a judge, I'd NO this for production and source use. nice work tho, keep at it.

• 7 months later...

Alright, I've been talking this one over with halc and I think I like where you're going with this for sure. The smooth chord progression is really the most gripping part of the song for me. Such a good sample and such jazzy execution :-D

However, I think the rest of the mix falls short a little bit. The first lead synth you used seems like an odd choice for such a smooth song, I'd experiment with some other sounds if you're not dead set on that one. The other sounds aren't too bad, but all of the leads seem marred by some minor, but noticeable timing issues. Especially in the intro, your lead doesn't always seem to match up with the timing of the chords, and coupled with the long gaps between every one of your notes, it just sounds awkward at times. I'd recommend throwing in more legato/sustained notes or even using some creative pitch bending to give the leads (especially during the solos) some more personality. You want your melodies to flow to keep the whole song sounding smooth :-)

The soloing is really pretty creative and well-executed (aside from the aforementioned issues) but it's all lumped together in the center of the song. If you'd be willing to take the time, I think chunking it up and interspersing the solo sections with source material would greatly improve the arrangement.

The drums, too, seem like a bit of a weak point in the piece. They feel relatively static throughout the whole song and don't change up much to match the mood, and I think you could easily incorporate some more intricate drum writing to heighten the energy of your remix at the appropriate times.

All things considered though, this sounds good :-D Keep working on this, you've got some great potential here!

okay, i had a whole post all written up and ready to go, until i accidently pressed the back button and lost everything D:

anyway, as Emu mentioned, we've been discussing this one a bit and his post echoes most of my sentiments. i will mention that the arrangement here is pretty slick, and definitely treads both the conservative and liberal paths, though i'd expect the judges to be stopwatching this one for source - maybe try to fit some more direct source usage in there or hint towards the original melodies more often during the solo sections.

certainly some interesting stuff. i agree that there is some good potential here, so keep it up!

• 5 months later...

Okay, I worked on this song thinking of your suggestions and one change led to another, and well, it has such a different feel although it has the same form (for the most part). Definitely a little different than the original remix. I hope I am going in the right direction with this modification.

stats.png

Yay, syncopation. :D

Bass is too loud, imo (but man that is a sweet bass sound). Funny how it's really dry and close when the drums aren't. Running it through a clean amp sim or giving it some room reverb might put in in the same space.

Really cool instrumentation, digging the vibe you've got going here. Might be a bit sparse overall. The Dark Mountain-Tal Tal etc sound doesn't quite fit, but it adds a much needed layer. Perhaps if you'd make it less of a lead... or more? The sound doesn't sound jazzy enough imo.

Some cool melody adaptations here, feels a little too aimless for ocr, you might wanna try to craft the dynamics towards making the last 20% more pronounced and ending-y, and previous parts more build-up-y. I know it's not the easiest thing to fix the direction when the arrangement is pretty much done, but do what you can.

Nice work. :D

• 1 month later...