Check out Morphestra

Just saw this today - http://www.samplelogic.com/morphestra.html

One one hand, it looks like a cross between Omnisphere and Evolve. And since I've already got those (well, NI's 'Evolve Mutations' adaptation anyway) it's probably not something I'm going to get right away.

But I've definitely got my eye one it!

Thoughts?

Cue random whining about how you should be making your samples and synths and stuff yourself or else you're a lazypoo producer and how that thing is everything you need to not be making music. After which, cue Rozo making a cool assessment. :D

There, I jsut saved ocr 8 posts. :D

Seriously tho, my (cool?) assessment here is that I've yet to learn to use Omnisphere and Superior properly before even needing something like this, and neither my income or my computer likes either of those so I shoulnd't be getting more memory-hogging monsters. Yet.

And by the time I have a computer that can run it smoothly and can afford to buy new tools for the new computer, there's probably something else that seems just as awesome out there.

my (cool?) assessment here is that I've yet to learn to use Omnisphere and Superior properly before even needing something like this
Well, if you look at it as just another weapon in your musical arsenal, I don't think anyone actually needs it. I think it would be great to have though, income aside. Plus, having presets with names like "Angelic Destiny" and "Compassion for Life" can't be a bad thing :)

You know what's really really awesome about this: someone finally realized it was time to move away from big 10 dvd sets with awful iLok.

=> 80gb hard drive pre-loaded with kontakt and Morphestra library. Now that is the future!

Just give me 5 more years to gather enough knowledge and money to justify getting it... while everyone has moved to something else. :mrgreen:

Seriously tho, my (cool?) assessment here is that I've yet to learn to use Omnisphere and Superior properly before even needing something like this

My assessment would be that if you learn how to use Omnisphere properly, you won't really be needing this.

You need this if you want to make a nice sounding score or atmospheric track fast and easy, without spending too much time on sound design. Provided money isn't much of an issue of course.

If you have enough time on your hands, own Omnisphere and maybe a few supplementary smaller libraries for percussion and the like, you should be able to do the same job just as well though.

Btw, everyone, If you have Kontakt, I recommend trying out the free demo patches the company offers. They're a lot of fun to play, particularily the ones from Synergy. These guys definitely are good at what they're doing, even though the general preset-ish aproach with limited tweakability isn't totally up my alley when I'm just making music for myself. Which is pretty much all the time :)

Oh, BGC, if you're still including me in the 'music purists/elitists' group, you're simply lacking humour :P

Seriously though, this stuff is worth discussing. It seems like my hyperboles from that last thread were directly quoted in Rozo's post, and he made it seem like a righteous armada of elitists were ranting away the last time.

So let me give a clear and unencrypted opinion this time:

Presets, and preset midis and all of that stuff, are alright, they have their use obviously. There isn't always a need to reinvent the wheel.

That said, the bigger the 'building blocks' you work with, so to speak, become, the greater the chance will be that the end product is going to sound less individual, less 'you'.

You can prevent it, you can still put your own spin on it. It is just less likely to happen when, to offer an extreme example, you have this super awesome one key wonder preset that sounds so great already that you'd be hard pressed to make it sound any better.

I find that relation obvious, but judging from the last thread it's a touchy subject when you voice it in a more provocative way.

See, I don't care how you make your music. Even if it is heavily preset based, unless I know the libraries in question or they're just literally sprayed over all the new stuff that comes out, I probably won't even notice and might enjoy it a lot.

It's really just about you and your relationship with your music. If you're happy with many presets and feel like you manage to express yourself well with them instead of just doing some advanced 'sound collage', then who am I to tell you to change that.

If you feel something is missing, then doing more of your own sounds might help you develop a more intimate relationship with your compositions. Or you'll just fiddle around with parameters and get nothing done.

Who knows? It's not for everyone, and that's alright. Sometimes I like to just focus on composition as well.

S'all.

Well at least they have the decency to at least give you a separate hard drive. I think I'll eventually have more samples on my hard drive than music, and I have a lot of music. Still, I don't think the extra money is worth it when you can use cheaper software and make it work just as well as long as you invest some time.

Like a LOT of time. In the old days you pretty much needed to have a Doctorate in Sound Engineering (Dr. FLOOD would be a pretty funny idea). Beginners and intermediates can make some basic stuff ok, but it takes a lot more than that to craft some of this stuff.

Some of us, like me, have enough to worry about in composing, arranging, mixing, mastering against so many other variables without needing to spend 12 hours building a Supersaw filter. :P

I clearly exaggerate, but still. You bought those presets, might as well use 'em.

Well, the same could really be said about any plugin or library. Funny enough, I don't recall anyone saying presets were bad when we were discussing Omnisphere. Rather, they were excited about the new possibilities in their music and excited that doors were being opened that previously would have been either impossible or extremely difficult to do otherwise.

Hahaha :)

How so?

This is mainly for electronic music, but if you look at something like REFX Nexus, you see that they sell the thing itself; and sample libraries.

By the time you've finished buying all of those - you've lost a lot of money. Conversely, if you would've bought something like Sylenth1 or better and learned programming, you would've probably nailed 3/4ths of those sounds.

Furthermore:

"Oh god I need this sound but have no idea how to make it"

*buys plugin*

*finds out only 10 presets are usable*

*hunts for next plugin*

I've seen people work exactly like that; they'd end up with 200 plugins (mostly downloaded, of course), and no way to use them to their full potential.

As cool as it is to have your own unique sounds, presets are useful in learning the software and having something close to what you want that you can tweak. Of course, there's the lazypoo factor too, but who's gonna know, besides others who use the same software and the same presets? Especially if there's thousands of presets. :D

"Oh god I need this sound but have no idea how to make it"

*buys plugin*

*finds out only 10 presets are usable*

*hunts for next plugin*

Haha, KVR has quite a few of those people, with way too much money on their hands.

There's this one guy in particular that keeps buying anything new and shiny and then tries to sell it in the forum's market place a couple days later because god forbid there was some work involved in making it sound like in the demos.

Those are all valid and true points. However, I think this is why I've really developed more of an affinity to these "out there" type instruments/libraries because they are presenting new sounds that were formerly either impossible or else highly improbable to achieve. Omnisphere was pretty much the first (I mean, no amount of oscillators can sound like a torched piano) but there's always going to be new combinations of cool sounds out there. And since I don't personally have the time to go out and develop/design them all, I'm largely intrigued by that stuff. Which is why I personally think Morphestra looks pretty darn cool. I've also got Acoustic Refractions for Kore, and it's just as cool.

I know that spending time to fully dive into an instrument is definitely a good thing, but it also isn't exactly terrible to just explore more unique sounds.

Eh, I don't think that's quite the case in this situation. Maybe for synths, where the entire download is usually under 100MB, but when you're dealing with sampled instruments/libraries like Omnisphere and Morphestra, it's just not practical for a company to offer everyone a 20+ gigabyte download just so they can try it out.

There are alternatives, like simply providing a limited library version of the plugin, but the risk there is that the sounds might not accurately represent the full thing, or they just might not appeal to a particular tester who may say "oh, this instrument is not for me" when really it very well might be right up their alley, but they just didn't have a chance to play with the sounds they would have liked better.

Simply having music demos available are by far the safest way, because it's understood that what you're hearing is only some of what's possible.

Eh, I don't think that's quite the case in this situation. Maybe for synths, where the entire download is usually under 100MB, but when you're dealing with sampled instruments/libraries like Omnisphere and Morphestra, it's just not practical for a company to offer everyone a 20+ gigabyte download just so they can try it out.

There are alternatives, like simply providing a limited library version of the plugin, but the risk there is that the sounds might not accurately represent the full thing, or they just might not appeal to a particular tester who may say "oh, this instrument is not for me" when really it very well might be right up their alley, but they just didn't have a chance to play with the sounds they would have liked better.

Simply having music demos available are by far the safest way, because it's understood that what you're hearing is only some of what's possible.

I guess that makes more sense with the file size issue and whatnot, but then they should at least have more promotional videos of people actually using the program and talking about it.

lol, that's exactly what they've done. Did you not check their site?

Nope, I merely skimmed. I only watched the advertising video and read some of the information. So have you concluded what you will do yet? I'm probably going to invest in something like Komplete 6 first before anything like this.