Dragon Age: Origins

Arcana

To you. Most people though everything about KotoR was astounding.

I don't know. I can see how people might have problems with it. There's a fair bit of empty, boring backtracking if you want to see everything the game has to offer, and combat basically boiled down to one of two tactics. If you're a melee user, buff, click nearest enemy, wait until everything's dead. If you're a force user, FORCE STORM FORCE STORM FORCE STORM FORCE STORM FORCE STORM FORCE STORM

FORCE STORM

PC version annoys me somewhat having to pause the game all the time to micromanage and all. Seeing as there are only a limited number of tactical slots, can't let the AI tactics take care of both the healing and attacking. It does work better than the FFXII system though, hated that one.

Also wish there was an interface customisation option. I'm not too good at paying attention to the battle and the party's health bars at the same time.

Ok gang, sell me on this game.

I'm a fan of dark fantasy(and fantasy in general), but the only familiarity I have with BioWare RPGs is Mass Effect and to be totally honest, it didn't do a thing for me in retrospect. Combat struck me as dull although I appreciated that it leaned more on the active side, the plot seemed far too dry and cliched as was the world and characters, and all in all I just couldn't get into it again after going through it once.

I saw it for the PC and I'm not a fan of that fugly WoW HUD and action bar(although I imagine they'd let you switch that out). I'm also big on active battle systems, and it looks like there are far too many breaks in the action, although I like the spell combos and interactions one can do.

I dunno. I'm interested, but not sure if I'm $60 interested.

Man... Games really need to go down in price...

Hey, if you like fantasy RPGs and you want to get into some BioWare stuff, pick up the Baldur's Gate trilogy. That's real-time battle, it won't set you back $60, and I can almost guarantee that it's better than Dragon Age.

Not to imply that Dragon Age is bad; just that Baldur's Gate is that awesome.

Man, what the fuck?

So I'm in the party camp, and a guy comes along and says he needs my help. Not being one to say no to another quest, I accept, and then the game has the nerve to tell me that this quest is "premium content" I need to buy and download as DLC.

It should be fairly eveident by now why I fucking hate DLC so much. Don't act suprised next generation when we'll be effectively paying full price for just half a game.

So I'm in the party camp, and a guy comes along and says he needs my help. Not being one to say no to another quest, I accept, and then the game has the nerve to tell me that this quest is "premium content" I need to buy and download as DLC.

Seems everyone is pissed off about that little gem. Every Dragon Age thread I've seen has someone complaining about this, and Penny Arcade's most recent comic features it.

I'm a little disappointed; I didn't really take BioWare for the type to do this kind of crap. But then maybe it was EA getting their claws into them.

I started playing this on Wednesday, and I must say, I'm kind of addicted at this point. Rolled a Dalish elf rogue and am having a lot of fun slicing shit to bits. I'm absolutely loving the story, and the voice acting, for once, isn't all that terrible.

I'm not a big fan of the facial models they used for some of the characters. Way too much teeth. It was like this in Mass Effect, too. Seriously, do people just sit there and talk with their teeth all sticking out? Come on. The combat system is a bit wonky, also. I right-click to attack and end up moving my character somewhere else nearby. This is a serious pain in the ass, especially when I'm fighting alone in certain areas of the game. I'm also iffy on the combat presets. Sure, I set them, but they're not always followed, and that can totally fuck strategy.

Otherwise, I can't stop playing it, and I'm liking what I've played so far. I probably won't bother with the DLC. As far as I know, it's three other sidequests, and to me, that's not worth paying for. I'm assuming the storyline is the same except during the origin parts, right? If so, I might not find it worthwhile to start another character later and do this all over again, but who knows.

Ok gang, sell me on this game.

I'm a fan of dark fantasy(and fantasy in general), but the only familiarity I have with BioWare RPGs is Mass Effect and to be totally honest, it didn't do a thing for me in retrospect. Combat struck me as dull although I appreciated that it leaned more on the active side, the plot seemed far too dry and cliched as was the world and characters, and all in all I just couldn't get into it again after going through it once.

I saw it for the PC and I'm not a fan of that fugly WoW HUD and action bar(although I imagine they'd let you switch that out). I'm also big on active battle systems, and it looks like there are far too many breaks in the action, although I like the spell combos and interactions one can do.

I dunno. I'm interested, but not sure if I'm $60 interested.

Man... Games really need to go down in price...

This game is really 70% story. If you can't handle the story (as well as making moral decisions) then you won't enjoy this game.

I am enjoying it. I like the story, the world is well-written and quite immersive. Voice acting isn't as bad as bleck says it is but there are cases where it's way too fake-British-"Cheerio, old chap!" sounding. I like Leliana's voice because it's actually not a faux British accent. Same reason I liked Gorim's voice, too.

But the game is hard, and can force you to make some very tough decisions if you take particular story paths. I went to a town where you have to deal with a demon who possessed a woman's son, and your choices are:

- Let the woman sacrifice herself to save her son

- Kill the son, killing the demon in the process

Neither choice was appealing and I actually sat around for a while thinking, "Is there no other way?"

Most games don't make me go through that kind of emotional investment. I actually stopped playing KOTOR because I was a Dark Jedi character and by the time I did my Jedi Training, I was doing such evil things that I actually felt disturbed by it.

Mm, I was almost growing skeptical to the game after hearing very mixed opinions, but after spending two or three long nights with the game, I can only say that I love it.

I hope there's more to the Origin stories than just an intro though, I'd like to be able to follow it up by returning to my home castle (human noble origin story) and reclaiming it.

This is pretty much a next-gen Baldur's Gate/NWN mashup, which is what I've been waiting for the last X years.

I haven't gotten Leliana but unless this accent is Russian than I doubt it will sway me from Morrigan

It's not Russian though to me it sounds VAGUELY Eastern European.

Continue banging Morrigan.

Leliana likes me because my in-game decisions just seem to reflect well on her. I guess it's because I tend to play as a SUPER NICE hero and apparently Leiliana gets hot off of that.

Edit: by the way, this game is KICKING MY ASS hardcore. I don't know if I did the areas out of order or something, but I went first to Redcliffe and then to the Bacilian Forest. Redcliffe was super hard, I used all of my healing items to get past the night battle. Now the ruins are kicking my butt. First the dragon, then the spawns of many Skelly warriors, and then the arcane horror. I have no AOE and not enough healing items to last me. It's pretty painful.