TurboGrafix16 and Sega Saturn?

Sir_Snooze

I don't think $40 Canadian is steep for either of those systems. I will also vouch that the Saturn should be your priority in an either or scenario.

On a similar note does anyone know if the Japanese Saturn was region locked? If so, is it as easy to mod as the North American version?

I don't think $40 Canadian is steep for either of those systems. I will also vouch that the Saturn should be your priority in an either or scenario.

On a similar note does anyone know if the Japanese Saturn was region locked? If so' date=' is it as easy to mod as the North American version?[/quote']

Each version of the Saturn was region locked, as was its games. However, all you need is any one of the numerous special cartridges to plug into the system's cart port, and you could play import games. No need to mod anything.

You can find those carts pretty easily. Your best bet is to get a 4-in-1 cart, that has the backup memory, allows you to play imports, enter cheat codes like you could with a Game Shark, and has the 1MB/4MB expansion ability so you can play games like Vampire Savior and Samurai Shodown III.

I'd pay 40CAD for that...

Really though, i'm actually down on my Sega Saturn title knowledge, since no one i knew ever had one and the only experience i had with it was when i found a guy with one on display (for play) at a flea market.

Is it another case of Sega's hardware being more popular after death?

I'd pay 40CAD for that...

Really though, i'm actually down on my Sega Saturn title knowledge, since no one i knew ever had one and the only experience i had with it was when i found a guy with one on display (for play) at a flea market.

Is it another case of Sega's hardware being more popular after death?

Sort of. The system had a lot of great games in the US, and whole host of good stuff in Japan that sadly never made it over the ocean. People knew it had a solid library of titles (a healthy number of which are still exclusive to the Saturn), but Sony simply stomped it into the ground with the PS1. Only after its death did the Saturn get more recognition for what it offered, and now some people trying to find out what they missed the first time around.

It's not quite the same level as what the Dreamcast has been experiencing for years, but the Saturn did get more wind in its sails after it had been sunk.

Each version of the Saturn was region locked, as was its games. However, all you need is any one of the numerous special cartridges to plug into the system's cart port, and you could play import games. No need to mod anything.

You can find those carts pretty easily. Your best bet is to get a 4-in-1 cart, that has the backup memory, allows you to play imports, enter cheat codes like you could with a Game Shark, and has the 1MB/4MB expansion ability so you can play games like Vampire Savior and Samurai Shodown III.

Thanks Coop. I found a used Saturn in box at a thrift store here, and wondered if it could play US and burned games too.