Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch

Schwaltzvald

looks fun as hell -- too bad the version in the video isn't publicly available.

Considering it's the same guy that did the Ghouls Versus Humans series I'm looking forward to it.

Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch is a new multiplayer mod that aims to puts Doom and Megaman into a blender and spew out a fun new way to blast your buddies online. I’ve always wanted to make a Megaman themed wad, and since my experimental multiplayer wad GVH wasn’t a complete flop, I decided to make it deathmatch based. The 8-bit style inspired by Kinsie was perfect for this, as it represents the time when I feel Megaman was in full fruition: on the NES.

Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch will play as if Megaman suddenly turned 3D. Everything will play as if it was being played back in 1987. Levels will use purely 8-bit textures and sprites. Megaman will jump high and take damage recoil. Weapons will behave almost exactly as they did back then, only from a 3d perspective. The plan is to eventually have all the levels and weapons from Megaman 1-6 (and maybe 9). Obviously some weapons will have minor changes because there are a lot of clones throughout the series.

Gameplay

The game can be played in pretty much any game mode in Skulltag (except map specific modes like CTF obviously), but will be designed for Deathmatch. You can play as any Robot Master but the only difference is the looks (this is not a class based mod). Weapons are scattered around the maps along with weapon energy and health items that respawn. Each map has it’s own unique set of weapons and gameplay style. Your mission? Blast everyone in sight and score the most frags!

There had been a public alpha version where DOOM2 was required to play it, however since the CutmanMike continued with the project...

...Because the alpha version is SO dramatically different from the final product, I’ve taken the link down. Follow the site for more updates and future beta releases. You won’t even need Doom2 anymore...

here's some game play with bots

Video 1

Video 2

I've known this one for a while, but this new trailer is great. Check out the forums, he's planning on eventually having skins for every Robot Master from 1-6 and 9, each with their own weapon and map. Although I hope he saves that for a later update and just gets what he has hammered out and released soon. I can see myself playing this one a bunch, maybe we could even get an OCR clan together? I call Snake Man!

Hmm....

Well, Air Man is the obvious cheeseball pick. Though I can see myself playing any of the disable-types (Flash Man, Bright Man, Gravity Man) pretty often, if they're put in.

For general DM, I think Quick Man's my first choice. Boomerangs would be sweet.

All of the Robot Master skins are for appearance only. Everyone plays the same. Giving every single Robot Master their own moves and weapons would be a balancing nightmare. But all the weapons will be available to be picked up, so why not use Quick Boomerangs? Though I think we all already know that Metal Blades will be horribly OP, haha.

All of the Robot Master skins are for appearance only. Everyone plays the same. Giving every single Robot Master their own moves and weapons would be a balancing nightmare. But all the weapons will be available to be picked up, so why not use Quick Boomerangs? Though I think we all already know that Metal Blades will be horribly OP, haha.

If mike managed to figure out how to balance out GvsH in its final iteration I can see him making the large variety of robot masters work just fine.

Plus we don't need multiple woodmans or toad mans, though multiple Megamen is a given considering how often he respawns in comparison to the robot masters. :lol:

Didn't they fix that in Megaman Powered Up..?

Err...Yes, yes they did.

But this looks decidedly not Powered Up and therefore, the pause trick would be completely justified.

Besides, I'd rather COMPLETELY OBLITERATE the robot masters, instead of knocking them out pacifistically.

Megaman's a fighting robot, not your best friend.